ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

02-13-2017, 07:27 PM   #1
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M340i

Camera to capture HUD info?

Has anyone placed a small (thinking go-pro or similar/small) camera on top of the instrument stack and shot video from there to capture the HUD's Tach/Shiftlight while on track? Is it possible? Or is it too close to the HUD to even capture an image from the HUD? Curious if anyone's tried this.

There's room on top there and go-pro makes some sickly sticky mounts, so pretty positive it'd stay put if mounted on top of the stack. And I'm 6'3", so no worries of it blocking my vision. You'd obviously want a wide(r)-angle lens, but still could be cool if it did capture the HUD data.

Link below is where I usually place the phone for video. This event was cool as a few of the American LeMan's series teams were out and practicing in the instructor group...several Porsche Cup teams, team Aston Martin had two cars out there, a team Risi Ferrari was on track and a couple of others. Really puts intro perspective how slow you are as they blow by you

Some nice video, but had a rear rotor/brake issue - you can really begin to hear it towards the end of the vid - that got worse as the brakes heated up so had to come in early after only a few laps out. Ended up being more that just a brake dragging...dust shield had eaten into the inside face of the driver side rear rotor and totally grooved it, ending my weekend on Saturday

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 08:30 AM   #2
MRV99
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP / 2017 RRS SC

Garage List
2017 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
I know Harry's lap timer with ODBII connector puts all of this information on your video. No need to complicate things

17 M3 ZCP -- 2017 Range Rover Sport SC
--RIP--
12 X5 50i Sport -- 11 M3 DCT -- 2011 X5 50i(Lemon) -- 2008 550 Msport -- 2007 x5 4.8 sport -- 2004 545 sport -- 2002 x5 4.4 sport -- 2001 540i Msport 2000 SL500 -- 1997 SL500
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 11:16 AM   #3
trackm4
Petrolhead
Rep
Drives: MW M4

Options, arranged from cheapest to most expensive. For most of us, the first option HLT is fine. I'm using HLT with external GPS and OBDII and it is good enough for now. Eventually I want to get a VBOX.

- Harry Laptimer (preferrably on iPhone not Android as the Android port isn't as good) with External GPS and OBD II - https://www.gps-laptimer.de/
- AiM Solo DL + GoPro Hero 3/4/5 + Dashware (http://www.dashware.net/)
- AiM Solo DL + Smartycam HD2
- Vbox Video HD2 or another Vbox system
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 04:35 PM   #4
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks guys, but you're overthinking my ask. Was not asking for a data and video acquisition solution - I already run Harry's on my phone and have several people who have tried to get me into a Vbox.

Was simply curious if anyone had tried to shoot video from that perspective. I searched last night and didn't find any vids shot from there (please share if there are some), could be no one's tried that location for a camera before.

Just thought it could be a unique POV for a track vid seeing what the driver sees in the HUD on track vs. overlaid data on phone shot video.

Again, all this assuming a camera that close even resolves the HUD data...
Appreciate 1
trackm4126.00
      02-14-2017, 05:34 PM   #5
MRV99
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP / 2017 RRS SC

Garage List
2017 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
So I did a simple test. Turn on the hud and use my iPhone to video and see if the hud shows up. Sure does but the issue is you need to have the camera in line much like your eyesight.

The key will be mounting a camera which can view the hud and not be in your way as a driver

17 M3 ZCP -- 2017 Range Rover Sport SC
--RIP--
12 X5 50i Sport -- 11 M3 DCT -- 2011 X5 50i(Lemon) -- 2008 550 Msport -- 2007 x5 4.8 sport -- 2004 545 sport -- 2002 x5 4.4 sport -- 2001 540i Msport 2000 SL500 -- 1997 SL500
Appreciate 1
      02-14-2017, 06:00 PM   #6
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRV99 View Post
So I did a simple test. Turn on the hud and use my iPhone to video and see if the hud shows up. Sure does but the issue is you need to have the camera in line much like your eyesight.

The key will be mounting a camera which can view the hud and not be in your way as a driver
Interesting. How high off the stack did you have to get for it to resolve the HUD data? Or will it from anywhere, just the perspective/track view will be off?

Thanks for "researching" this, hadn't even tried yet!

Think I'll run out after the kids are down and see what's what
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 06:50 PM   #7
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep

Okay. here's how it looks, granted not ideal background, but I think it'll work!

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 09:26 PM   #8
trackm4
Petrolhead
Rep

still struggling to understand why you'd do this though... won't all you get is RPM, Gear and Speed? No throttle or brake or laptimes etc.. If you got a OBD BT dongle, HLT can give you all this and a bit more on your video overlay..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 08:53 AM   #9
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackm4 View Post
still struggling to understand why you'd do this though... won't all you get is RPM, Gear and Speed? No throttle or brake or laptimes etc.. If you got a OBD BT dongle, HLT can give you all this and a bit more on your video overlay..
Again, more wanting to see it as a new perspective, not to help lower my lap times or help with data in that regard. Just a differentiated and perhaps unique view from the car on track.
Appreciate 1
trackm4126.00
      02-15-2017, 10:15 AM   #10
trackm4
Petrolhead
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTrkJunkie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackm4 View Post
Again, more wanting to see it as a new perspective, not to help lower my lap times or help with data in that regard. Just a differentiated and perhaps unique view from the car on track.
Got it.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 02:15 PM   #11
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

I have used a Sony 3D HD video camera mounted to the headrest on my M6 and X6M to peer just over my shoulder. You can't believe how cool it is to watch laps in full 3D on a 65 inch 4K TV in your living room. If you mount the camera close enough to your head, you get the HUD just fine...

A couple of years ago, I also used Google Glass (at the Nurburgring) and that was hands down the best way to see your HUD. It obviously wasn't 3D, but it was very cool and simple to use as well. However, Google Glass is no more (although I still have mine)...

The biggest issue I have with the current M3/M4 platform is that there is no good way to mount a camera to your seat without actually having to modify the seat (or stick something to it). It was easy to make a camera mount for older BMW's with adjustable headrests as you could just use a piece of square aluminum tubing which clamped to the vertical headrest adjustment bars. Unfortunately, the F8X has a solid seat/headrest assembly so you can't do this.

I have a clay mold of the back of the F8X seat where the headrest and seat body have a bit of a seam. Once I get around to it, I will work to design and 3D print a set of clamps which can be belted to that little seam/corner on each side of the seat and then attach to another piece of square aluminum tubing.

I'm also waiting for my Vuze 3D 360 camera to arrive. They are supposed to start shipping these next week. The Vuze provides 360 degree video (a full spherical image), in 3D, and in 4K. Once I get that mounted in my car I will be able to replay my track videos in both 360 and 3D so I can look around anywhere at anytime as I review my laps using my Oculus Rift or Samsung Gear VR. Very cool if you want to watch the car behind you, or next to you, or check your apexes, etc after the fact. This is THE camera to mount inside your car:

http://vuze.camera/
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 03:26 PM   #12
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery View Post
I have used a Sony 3D HD video camera mounted to the headrest on my M6 and X6M to peer just over my shoulder. You can't believe how cool it is to watch laps in full 3D on a 65 inch 4K TV in your living room. If you mount the camera close enough to your head, you get the HUD just fine...

A couple of years ago, I also used Google Glass (at the Nurburgring) and that was hands down the best way to see your HUD. It obviously wasn't 3D, but it was very cool and simple to use as well. However, Google Glass is no more (although I still have mine)...

The biggest issue I have with the current M3/M4 platform is that there is no good way to mount a camera to your seat without actually having to modify the seat (or stick something to it). It was easy to make a camera mount for older BMW's with adjustable headrests as you could just use a piece of square aluminum tubing which clamped to the vertical headrest adjustment bars. Unfortunately, the F8X has a solid seat/headrest assembly so you can't do this.

I have a clay mold of the back of the F8X seat where the headrest and seat body have a bit of a seam. Once I get around to it, I will work to design and 3D print a set of clamps which can be belted to that little seam/corner on each side of the seat and then attach to another piece of square aluminum tubing.

I'm also waiting for my Vuze 3D 360 camera to arrive. They are supposed to start shipping these next week. The Vuze provides 360 degree video (a full spherical image), in 3D, and in 4K. Once I get that mounted in my car I will be able to replay my track videos in both 360 and 3D so I can look around anywhere at anytime as I review my laps using my Oculus Rift or Samsung Gear VR. Very cool if you want to watch the car behind you, or next to you, or check your apexes, etc after the fact. This is THE camera to mount inside your car:

http://vuze.camera/
Nice find, appreciate the link and details that you can do this!

Any vids you can share?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 05:06 PM   #13
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTrkJunkie View Post
Nice find, appreciate the link and details that you can do this!

Any vids you can share?
The 3D stuff is not that easy to share. I stream all my 3D content directly from my camera vi HDMI to my 3D TV. I have not worked through the process of burning a BluRay disc with 3D content...

The Google Glass stuff would be more generic but its not particularly helpful if you can't get the equipment any more. Let me know if you want to see the footage though and I'll dig it up...
Appreciate 0