Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

09-03-2017, 09:18 AM   #1
mrduder
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

New brakes squeaking already

So I recently had all 4 pads and rotors replaced because my car was vibrating really badly under braking. After almost a week of trying to diagnose the problem, they found that one of the pads was loose??? But during this process they replaced all 4 pads and all 4 rotors. It's been about 2 months maybe since then and now I'm getting squeaking under braking. I haven't had any issues since I got this car with squeaking brakes. This isn't normal right? Brand new brakes shouldn't do this right? I've made an appointment but I'm like 99% sure they're just gonna tell me this is normal. I had issues with my JCW mini and squeaking brakes and they would always tell me the brakes were fine and this was normal.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2017, 04:33 PM   #2
Rydinsmoothx
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 m2c

Did u bed In the new pads after they installed it?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2017, 11:41 PM   #3
mrduder
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydinsmoothx View Post
Did u bed In the new pads after they installed it?
No. I just drove the car like I normally would. As I have with every other car.... I don't know many people that daily drive their car that actually follow that procedure. The brakes should naturally just bed in after driving enough miles. No?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2017, 01:23 AM   #4
Rydinsmoothx
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 m2c

you should bed the brakes in, they will work better and probably cure your problem.
Appreciate 1
f8th0.00
      09-04-2017, 01:48 AM   #5
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Squeaking brakes are normal if nothing else is wrong. BMW brakes have always squeaked. It's a lot more common when it's cold compared to when the brakes are warmed up.

My 3er and M4 brakes both squeaks. You can take it in of course just to check due to your car's background but if they come up with nothing than it's normal.
      09-04-2017, 09:14 AM   #6
BhamDavid
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Most likely is that the installer did not use sufficient ant-squeal compound on the pads. If you are unfamiliar with this product, it is a thick lubricant that is applied to the backside of the lads that dampens pad vibration which causes squeals.

A lot if replacement pads come with a pre-applied backing to save installation time but my experience is that it just doesn't work. If you had you pads replaced by an independent garage, I'd suspect that this is what they did.

You can order a tube from Amazon and jack up one corner at a time and pull the pads and apply in probably an hour or so. Less time if you have a good jack and socket adapter for a cordless drill. Pulling pads on our brakes is so damn easy. I've used several compounds but like Permatex 24125 the best. I'd rather do it myself than have to deal with some asshole trying to convince me that it's normal.

Don't accept that BMW brakes squeal. That's crap.
Appreciate 1
BMWM5NYC496.00
      09-04-2017, 03:11 PM   #7
mrduder
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BhamDavid View Post
Most likely is that the installer did not use sufficient ant-squeal compound on the pads. If you are unfamiliar with this product, it is a thick lubricant that is applied to the backside of the lads that dampens pad vibration which causes squeals.

A lot if replacement pads come with a pre-applied backing to save installation time but my experience is that it just doesn't work. If you had you pads replaced by an independent garage, I'd suspect that this is what they did.

You can order a tube from Amazon and jack up one corner at a time and pull the pads and apply in probably an hour or so. Less time if you have a good jack and socket adapter for a cordless drill. Pulling pads on our brakes is so damn easy. I've used several compounds but like Permatex 24125 the best. I'd rather do it myself than have to deal with some asshole trying to convince me that it's normal.

Don't accept that BMW brakes squeal. That's crap.
They were done under warranty. So it was done by BMW
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2017, 03:12 PM   #8
mrduder
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
Squeaking brakes are normal if nothing else is wrong. BMW brakes have always squeaked. It's a lot more common when it's cold compared to when the brakes are warmed up.

My 3er and M4 brakes both squeaks. You can take it in of course just to check due to your car's background but if they come up with nothing than it's normal.
They actually don't squeak when cold. Gets worse and only starts happening when they're nice and warm.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2017, 04:27 PM   #9
BhamDavid
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrduder View Post
They were done under warranty. So it was done by BMW
Even dealers screw up/get lazy sometimes.

Your car, your problem but I'd be pulling the pads and applying compound if it were my car.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2017, 10:08 PM   #10
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
They actually don't squeak when cold. Gets worse and only starts happening when they're nice and warm.
Actually I have spoken to dealerships about this.

They will generally say the same about squeaking brakes being normal. Even our Porsche's brakes squeaks. Performance brake squeaks, it's how it is. CCB squeaks even worse. I couldn't stand it being in Justin's car and hearing it squeak at every stop light.

It depends on when the squeaking is occurring, that would determine if it is normal or not.
      09-04-2017, 11:50 PM   #11
mrduder
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Actually I have spoken to dealerships about this.

They will generally say the same about squeaking brakes being normal. Even our Porsche's brakes squeaks. Performance brake squeaks, it's how it is. CCB squeaks even worse. I couldn't stand it being in Justin's car and hearing it squeak at every stop light.

It depends on when the squeaking is occurring, that would determine if it is normal or not.
Yeah that's what mini always said about my JCW. They just always told me that's what performance brakes did. It's normal..... it's annoying having a $80,000 car that turns people's heads because it sounds like some old piece of crap lol
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2017, 12:28 AM   #12
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah that's what mini always said about my JCW. They just always told me that's what performance brakes did. It's normal..... it's annoying having a $80,000 car that turns people's heads because it sounds like some old piece of crap lol
It isn't. It does has something to do with how you break in the pads though. If you didn't do it properly I think it happens more often than not. CCB squeaks often because... er that's how they are. They will always squeak.

The normal brakes will do it from time to time. I have asked my dealership about my 3er doing it and they said it's happens way more during Winter time. I have heard it on my M4 but not as often. They will tell you probably the same because a lot of people probably wonder about the same.

My mother came to me telling me the same thing regarding our Macan S. She keeps saying it's making noises and I tell her it's normal. It's only when you feel something during the braking like vibrations, that is when it isn't normal.

I mean if you are worried, take it in and let them drive and inspect it. If they tell you it's normal or they can't find a problem with it then... it's how it is. You can try changing brake pads too if that's something you would consider. Don't do it from BMW because they give you the same OEM ones that give you a jack ton of brake dusts that annoy the hell out of me.
      09-05-2017, 06:56 AM   #13
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
It isn't. It does has something to do with how you break in the pads though. If you didn't do it properly I think it happens more often than not. CCB squeaks often because... er that's how they are. They will always squeak.

The normal brakes will do it from time to time. I have asked my dealership about my 3er doing it and they said it's happens way more during Winter time. I have heard it on my M4 but not as often. They will tell you probably the same because a lot of people probably wonder about the same.

My mother came to me telling me the same thing regarding our Macan S. She keeps saying it's making noises and I tell her it's normal. It's only when you feel something during the braking like vibrations, that is when it isn't normal.

I mean if you are worried, take it in and let them drive and inspect it. If they tell you it's normal or they can't find a problem with it then... it's how it is. You can try changing brake pads too if that's something you would consider. Don't do it from BMW because they give you the same OEM ones that give you a jack ton of brake dusts that annoy the hell out of me.
My brakes on my 15 nor my 16 have squeaked at all.

Im rofl over your CCB comments in Justins car though. We always argue about CCB on the street and he always aays they dont squeak lol.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2017, 12:40 PM   #14
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Quote:

My brakes on my 15 nor my 16 have squeaked at all.

Im rofl over your CCB comments in Justins car though. We always argue about CCB on the street and he always aays they dont squeak lol.
They do and it drove me nuts. He wanted me to go CCBs on my M3 order but I prefer Brembos.

My brakes hasn't squeaked lately. It is usually in the Winter time for me. Porsche breaks has been, I been hearing it plus my mother complaining about it.
      09-09-2017, 12:41 AM   #15
AhsanU
i can haz horsepowr ??
Rep
Drives: inconspicuous white van

My brakes only squeak when I'm reversing.. ONLY when I'm reversing.

Is this something I should bring to my dealers attention?
Appreciate 0