Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

07-11-2014, 01:49 PM   #67
M3OW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw f80 m3 on radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKMK5 View Post
Here is an example of your AWD claim:

I'm sure if the m3 m4 was available with awd we would see 3.5 second or better 0-60 times. An awd drive m3 that's around 3700 pounds can accomplish those kind of numbers with ease IMO.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 01:56 PM   #68
Ash83
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i & RS5 (SOLD)/ 18 CTS-V

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinim3 View Post
Right on cue!

Here's some statements I adamantly disagree with:

The RS5 with its huge chain-mail grill and painted diffuser is one of the most unique looking cars out there (particularly for the money) and it turns heads everywhere it goes even 2 years after it's been released people still take pictures of my car on the freeway. Far from "ordinary" looking. If anything the M4 is the one that looks similar to the 435i coupe. (The M3 looks much different than the 335i).

Here's another quote I disagree with.

Wow. RS5 MMI has Google Street View and Google Earth that looks crisp as fck. You can knock the MMI for being slow, but looking dated? hell no.

Also in the video the driver also says the Audi's traction control system can't be disabled which is false.

Lastly,there seems to be quite a few edits to the online version than what was printed in the magazine. The online versions is much less biased sounding, more accurate, and less enthusiastic about the M4 than what was printed in the magazine

Example 1:
Online version for RS5:

Magazine for RS5:

Example 2:
The online version also completely leaves out this part which was printed in the magazine which I think is a bit overblown:

Magazine for M4 (left out of online):

Example 3
Here's another contraction for the M4:
Online for M4

contrast that with

Magazine for M4 (no mention of the above quote)

Now all that said the rest of the comments are fairly accurate and the M4 won fair and square (probably not as a big a margin as the read suggests though). Is the M4 a better car than the RS5? CHYEAH It BETTER BE since it's the new cycle. Now pick on someone else's car to compare ya selves too until the B9 comes out

This is a dead horse . BMW M is far better than any RS on track... but the question is what percentage of people will actually track their cars competitively to care about the extra seconds they will gain.

the RS5 is a different beast. for a DD it is a brute force approach that will do all the work for you. (some people will call this bad because you will be disconnected of what the car is doing to keep you going fast) but for some it is perfect a drive home after a long day at work while it is raining!!

For the look the M4 is very loud in styling directed to young crowd, for me the RS5 is pure sex and I am 31 years.

Performance: JB4|BMW PE|DP Cosmetics: BMW Sport Pedals|Black Kidney Grill
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 02:43 PM   #69
SkeezyLP
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 11 M3 coupe

Wow, some of you care way too much about what others opinions are. This thread hurts my head.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 03:13 PM   #70
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toy

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by modkrazy View Post
If you read the review, the Porsche really won, just like in the previous comparo. BMW edges out overall for flexibility, but Porsche wins the categories that matter most.
+1
Sold - 2003 E46 M3 LSB SMG
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 04:03 PM   #71
SOM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: SO F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow///1 View Post
@som3

FYI, there was no appreciable difference between my s5's rear seat room and the e92 I had...
You so crazy.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 04:43 PM   #72
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
The point of the test is to illustrate the difference in flexibility between two cars. As you can see by that test, the engine in the M4 is a lot more flexible. This means that, for example, if you need to pass someone on the highway, the M4 is able to do that more effortlessly than the Cayman S. That's something that a lot of people care about.
except on the highway you aren't going from 30....and regardless if you are in manual/auto mode it won't do it in the tallest gear. this is about as senseless as seeing how fast a car can go in reverse.

edit: not tallest gear but who goes 30mph in 3rd or 4th gear?!
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 04:48 PM   #73
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 992 C4S

Right, but same thing applies. You're just in 6th instead
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 04:56 PM   #74
ixse
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 boxster s

yea .. was thinkin hard about m4.. wanted to try convertable.. after trying boxster s.. i dont think i can ever go back to bmw.. most likly cayman gts is up next..
dont get me wrong.. still looking at these m3,4 pics make me drool.. but just something about mid engine layout..
been to tons of auto x before in other cars.. never had this much fun in a car. it feels like it wants to dance around.. and pivot point is right at around your hip.. hard to describe..
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 06:04 PM   #75
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixse View Post
yea .. was thinkin hard about m4.. wanted to try convertable.. after trying boxster s.. i dont think i can ever go back to bmw.. most likly cayman gts is up next..
dont get me wrong.. still looking at these m3,4 pics make me drool.. but just something about mid engine layout..
been to tons of auto x before in other cars.. never had this much fun in a car. it feels like it wants to dance around.. and pivot point is right at around your hip.. hard to describe..
thats why i want cayman next....back seats? thats my wife's car
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 06:47 PM   #76
bluekn8286
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 BMW M3 Dinan S1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBPackerfan1963
Quote:
Originally Posted by skier View Post
They tested DCT equipped M4; with lunch control, pro or no pro should be getting same 0-60 times, all it takes is getting the revs up and releasing the brakes. What surprised me is that BMW official 0-60 times are usually conservative, easily repeated and/or exceeded by any auto mag.
What exactly is "lunch" control? Something like this? Sorry, had to do it.
Hahahahah; I almost "lost my lunch" when I read this comment
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 07:11 PM   #77
luvthestck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 18’ Q7,16'981 GTS

Cayman S IMHO is a car you would want to drive .Much better experience.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 07:47 PM   #78
BlackSaphire
Rep
Drives: Posh Kaen

Quote:
If you read the review, the Porsche really won, just like in the previous comparo. BMW edges out overall for flexibility, but Porsche wins the categories that matter most.
+1
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 08:07 PM   #79
w3rkn
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 135is

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinim3 View Post
Right on cue!

Here's some statements I adamantly disagree with:

The RS5 with its huge chain-mail grill and painted diffuser is one of the most unique looking cars out there (particularly for the money) and it turns heads everywhere it goes even 2 years after it's been released people still take pictures of my car on the freeway. Far from "ordinary" looking. If anything the M4 is the one that looks similar to the 435i coupe. (The M3 looks much different than the 335i).

Here's another quote I disagree with.

Wow. RS5 MMI has Google Street View and Google Earth that looks crisp as fck. You can knock the MMI for being slow, but looking dated? hell no.

Also in the video the driver also says the Audi's traction control system can't be disabled which is false.

Lastly,there seems to be quite a few edits to the online version than what was printed in the magazine. The online versions is much less biased sounding, more accurate, and less enthusiastic about the M4 than what was printed in the magazine

Example 1:
Online version for RS5:

Magazine for RS5:

Example 2:
The online version also completely leaves out this part which was printed in the magazine which I think is a bit overblown:

Magazine for M4 (left out of online):

Example 3
Here's another contraction for the M4:
Online for M4

contrast that with

Magazine for M4 (no mention of the above quote)

Now all that said the rest of the comments are fairly accurate and the M4 won fair and square (probably not as a big a margin as the read suggests though). Is the M4 a better car than the RS5? CHYEAH It BETTER BE since it's the new cycle. Now pick on someone else's car to compare ya selves too until the B9 comes out

I own a fugly car (135is), but I don't think many people, match your appreciation of your car's aesthetics.

I'd have to sell it.. , if it where given to me... just sayin...
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 08:08 PM   #80
modkrazy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSaloonM3 View Post
except on the highway you aren't going from 30....and regardless if you are in manual/auto mode it won't do it in the tallest gear. this is about as senseless as seeing how fast a car can go in reverse.

edit: not tallest gear but who goes 30mph in 3rd or 4th gear?!
I never did understand that argument. Yeah, I want a performance car but I hate having to shift to pass someone on the highway. Dropping 2 gears and punching it through a hole in traffic is one of the most enjoyable aspects of driving my car.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 08:37 PM   #81
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I never did understand that argument. Yeah, I want a performance car but I hate having to shift to pass someone on the highway. Dropping 2 gears and punching it through a hole in traffic is one of the most enjoyable aspects of driving my car.
i guess ppl really do this situation in real life?

Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 08:56 PM   #82
The long haul
Hi
United_States
Rep
Drives: Maserati Ghibli, E92m, FTR

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by w3rkn View Post
I own a fugly car (135is), but I don't think many people, match your appreciation of your car's aesthetics.

I'd have to sell it.. , if it where given to me... just sayin...
You drive a 135 and you're calling an RS5 ugly? Not many people share the opinion the RS5 is gorgeous? Wow denial much? I love the 1 series (I should seeing how I own one) but saying you'd have to sell it if it were given to you I laughable. I doubt you could afford a RS5, no offense.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 10:00 PM   #83
Paul-Bracq-BMW
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1981 323i, sports M5, LSD

SCANS

From the magazine...
Attached Images

07-11-2014, 10:43 PM   #84
MWS55
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: MW/SO M4

0-60 test on it is horrible!! 4.5s lol I'm gonna wait and see what motor trend does with it, their numbers are the most accurate, specially 0-60 and quarter mile..
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2014, 11:14 PM   #85
SCBMW02
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i and 2022 Z4 M40i

Garage List
All this nit picking is pretty pointless. Buy whatever car fits your needs, wants or whatever. The M3/4 is an awesome car clearly. Fast as hell for sure, the increased torque will make it much more fun in real world driving. The Audi is a nice car, I think it looks cool, but would not buy it over the M4. Cayman is surely a blast, esp the new GTS, but it is too damn small, and for 90k, no thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 12:28 AM   #86
visualguy
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBMW02 View Post
Cayman is surely a blast, esp the new GTS, but it is too damn small, and for 90k, no thanks.
The Cayman is not small for a two-seater sports car - it's quite spacious for two people, and it has decent trunk and frunk space. The M4, on the other hand, is bigger than I would have liked for a sport coupe. In particular, it's too long in my opinion...

A well-equipped Cayman S or GTS is indeed about $90K, which can be hard to justify... However, there isn't anything as good as the Cayman at a cheaper price. The M4 is really a different kind of car. The comparison needs to be against other two-seater sports cars: Subaru BRZ, Nissan 370Z, Corvette Stingray, Jaguar F-Type. The Cayman is better than all of these.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 01:03 AM   #87
generalkp
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

I've owned both the 981 Cayman S/RS5 and test drove the new M3. I would say if you are looking to get the most driving pleasure out of a car the Cayman is the way to go.

IMO, the best looking car is still the RS5 and the best all-around car will be the M3/M4. Out of all the cars I've owned I've never seen so many random thumbs up from people when I was driving my RS5.

The Cayman's flat 6 engine sound with the PSE is just ridiculous. Also, for the people who are saying that the Cayman cannot be a daily driver has probably never owned one. The front trunk is pretty big and then there's the space in the back as well. You won't be able to fit a set of golf clubs but for the average day to day driving there's enough space.

Saying all that, if you are looking for a car that can do everything, that will probably be the M3. The low end torque just makes it more usable in dailly driving situations. If I had to choose a car that was not 4 doors I would choose the Cayman, but I do need to get a car with 4 doors that's why I'll be ordering a M3 once they start accepting orders for BMW Individual colors.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 02:06 AM   #88
jc05e46m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F90 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M sa View Post
Which is what? Track use two seater? Sure let me spend 90k for a car that is for track only, who gives a f I work for a living and need a DD/track car.
lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stm3f80 View Post
I don't even know where to find a track.
I hope you're kidding.
'15 /// M4 - YMB/SO - Sold
'12 E92 ///M3 ZCP - AW/FR - Sold
Appreciate 0