BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

08-14-2023, 08:29 AM   #111
MagicF8x
Banned
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_w. View Post
How long was it installed for?
Just a little over a year
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 11:18 AM   #112
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1 35i M-sport

When you say it practically failed, what do you mean? Did the pins shear? Also, McMaster Carr is a distributor, they don't manufacture anything.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 12:08 PM   #113
FrankMstein
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, R56 Camden, G37x

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicF8x View Post
I had all but 2 snap off, they were able to extract the bolts and swap with new oem
Bolts
These were over-tightened. You can see they were necked down (look at the bottom one) and the threads were nearly rounded off. I would not be surprised if they were stressed, cracked, and while removed were broken due to the destroyed threads. I sure hope the item's threads these screws were put in wasn't destroyed too. Can you send a pic of the drive with the numerals towards the camera? Are they YFS?
Appreciate 2
hC1001604.50
      08-14-2023, 12:09 PM   #114
FrankMstein
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheela View Post
When you say it practically failed, what do you mean? Did the pins shear? Also, McMaster Carr is a distributor, they don't manufacture anything.
I'd like to know as well. Glad you said MMC doesn't make anything, as I was going too.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 01:20 PM   #115
x_
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
I had all but 2 snap off, they were able to extract the bolts and swap with new oem
Bolts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but does that say A2-70 on the heads? If it does, it's a lot weaker than what 12.9 is supposed to be.

Also thanks to the guy that posted how to check the CBC. I'll be buying an inspection camera off the net to have a look.
Appreciate 1
      08-15-2023, 05:37 PM   #116
hC1001
Captain
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMstein View Post
These were over-tightened. You can see they were necked down (look at the bottom one) and the threads were nearly rounded off. I would not be surprised if they were stressed, cracked, and while removed were broken due to the destroyed threads. I sure hope the item's threads these screws were put in wasn't destroyed too. Can you send a pic of the drive with the numerals towards the camera? Are they YFS?

I agree. You can look at how deep the bolts digged into the aluminum of the CBC. The only hole that looks decent is the one at 7 o clock. I bet that is the hole of the only good non-deformed bolt they were able to unscrew. The second full length bolt they unscrewed is stretched in the middle and was over-tightened during install.

25ft/lb shouldnt dig into the aluminum that much but i could be wrong... We also cant confirm what markings are on the bolt heads to get grade...
Appreciate 1
      08-17-2023, 03:27 AM   #117
Beemerm3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16' BMW m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra2289 View Post
Care to elaborate on the 4 pin issue? Who made it, how long it is was in the car, what the failure looked like and/or any other information you can provide. Very interested as I have not heard of any pinned hub failing.
i dont think hes talking about the 4 pin but actually 4 bolts snapping off.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2023, 03:32 AM   #118
Beemerm3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16' BMW m3

it seem like the crank hub is slipping inside and breaking loose the middle bolt then breaking the small bolts all at the same time. just saving your engine at least. im going with insane one piece when i have the money to install it with vtt.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2023, 08:58 AM   #119
e46IX
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4MC, E92 M3, F80 M3

These CBC's that are failing, how many of them are paired up with the Vargas splined crank hub? Are they installed with OEM crank hub or another company's pinned version?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2023, 11:46 AM   #120
F80RN
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f80 m3/2016 x3

I’ll leave this for everyone else to interpret, as I don’t know how to. But here’s some things I noticed (I asked to keep my old hub and CBC cause I want to incorporate it into my sim racing rig &#128514

1. When the bolts aren’t tightened down, there’s some play with the actual CBC back and forth

2. My hub didn’t have anything that stood out to me (apart from being outside of the engine lol)

3. There’s some markings on the CBC that show where it was torqued down. Does it mean it would have play? I’m not sure.

4. The CBC doesn’t fully sit on top of the hub. There’s a small gap. Is this by design or is it a possible cause of them going bad?

*EDIT*

I have a short clip but how do I attach that?
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      08-17-2023, 01:42 PM   #121
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1 35i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by F80RN View Post
I’ll leave this for everyone else to interpret, as I don’t know how to. But here’s some things I noticed (I asked to keep my old hub and CBC cause I want to incorporate it into my sim racing rig &#128514

1. When the bolts aren’t tightened down, there’s some play with the actual CBC back and forth

2. My hub didn’t have anything that stood out to me (apart from being outside of the engine lol)

3. There’s some markings on the CBC that show where it was torqued down. Does it mean it would have play? I’m not sure.

4. The CBC doesn’t fully sit on top of the hub. There’s a small gap. Is this by design or is it a possible cause of them going bad?

*EDIT*

I have a short clip but how do I attach that?
Hopefully the thickness of the harmonic balancer flange is thicker than that gap... Assuming that picture was taken with the screws fully bottomed out in their holes?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2023, 01:50 PM   #122
F80RN
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f80 m3/2016 x3

Quote:
Hopefully the thickness of the harmonic balancer flange is thicker than that gap... Assuming that picture was taken with the screws fully bottomed out in their holes?
Yes the screws are fully bottomed out.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2023, 10:54 PM   #123
Fat Goose
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F83 ZCP 6MT | F/A-18E

Quote:
This, Harmonic balancer
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2023, 08:46 PM   #124
fandango202
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Checked mine today on my 2019 M2C. Had this installed by my local Indy early February and have put 2,2xx miles on the car since then (most of which has been spirited driving). That same week I tuned the car to stage 2 with a ‘custom’ map from Jordan tuned via BM3. So far the CBC and bolts look fine. Will keep an eye on it. Just sharing another data point.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
      08-23-2023, 02:13 AM   #125
f87_ben
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 (LBB)

Another datapoint, 2018 M2.
Got it with the combo deal with the crank seal guard in anticipation of a big turbo.
Purchased in January and installed February, driven installed for 20,000 miles on BM3 Stg2+ E85.

Installed with red Loctite to "good n tight" in a star pattern then went back around with a torque wrench set to 30ftlb.

08-24-2023, 01:25 PM   #126
kxsb
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Same as well. Mine was installed 6 months ago with Blue Loctite. None have broken yet, but good to know this can happen.
Appreciate 1
Shaq937.00
      08-24-2023, 05:09 PM   #127
Groganrocket
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 e90 335i and 2015m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kxsb View Post
Same as well. Mine was installed 6 months ago with Blue Loctite. None have broken yet, but good to know this can happen.
I’m wondering the ones you guys have don’t have any rust on them, mine car hasn’t been in the rain and it showing rust like a couple others here, so I’m wondering if your bolts are different.
Are your bolts black or sliver looking not sure if it’s the pic or not, but they last 2 pics the bolt look silver.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2023, 09:55 AM   #128
x_
Rep

People that have their CBC still intact, are you guys only on CBC or with a different/pinned hub as well?

I've just gone through the thread again and it seems like all of the failed CBC's had changed their crank hub as well.

I finally got my inspection camera but I have no idea how some of you have really clear photos. It took me about 40 mins to take about 20 photos and get close ups of each bolts and they look like blurry piles of shit, I'll post the 3 clearest ones.

Good news is all of mine look ok so far, bad news is that EEP seems to have switched over to YFS bolts as well as that's what I have on mine. The CBC was installed mid December so it's been about 8 and a bit months of the car, I don't have a modified crank hub.

Appreciate 2
      08-26-2023, 11:49 AM   #129
fandango202
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by x_ View Post
People that have their CBC still intact, are you guys only on CBC or with a different/pinned hub as well?

I've just gone through the thread again and it seems like all of the failed CBC's had changed their crank hub as well.

I finally got my inspection camera but I have no idea how some of you have really clear photos. It took me about 40 mins to take about 20 photos and get close ups of each bolts and they look like blurry piles of shit, I'll post the 3 clearest ones.

Good news is all of mine look ok so far, bad news is that EEP seems to have switched over to YFS bolts as well as that's what I have on mine. The CBC was installed mid December so it's been about 8 and a bit months of the car, I don't have a modified crank hub.

I’m on stock crank hub with only the CBC added on - bolts all intact as shown a few posts up. I didn’t notice the failed CBC posts had modded hubs…

I used an articulating inspection camera which makes it way easier to get pictures. https://a.co/d/6THx6zp
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2023, 12:30 PM   #130
x_
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandango202 View Post
I’m on stock crank hub with only the CBC added on - bolts all intact as shown a few posts up. I didn’t notice the failed CBC posts had modded hubs…

https://a.co/d/6THx6zp
Well, OP never came back to the thread so have no idea about him but Todd20 and S55_M3 had aftermarket hubs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S55_M3 View Post
I wonder if the issue is only in conjunction with a upgraded crank hub. I have the 2 pin solid design and I am seeing signs of movement with the cbc
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd20 View Post
These were installed by a reputable shop and all 8 were installed I checked when I got it. From my understanding the bolts got loose and came out over the course of 2-4 months. Once enough bolts came out of one side, the harmonic balancer started to get wobbly and started to grind down on the other bolts. This is why only two are stuck in the hub instead of all 6. Also this is a Lang racing 4 pin hub not a stock one

Not sure about MagicF8X as he didn't come back to the thread as well, but he posted this

Quote:
CBC doesn’t really do anything , their spline lock is definitely the best crankhub solution , my 4 pin practically failed.

These are definitely stress failures,
When my bolts snapped off they were replaced with oem ones.

You can look up those bolts they are manufactured by a company called McCmaster carr out of Illinois and I don’t belive they have the strength that oem bolts do.

It seems like the bolts that were installed were A2-70 from what I can see in the picture, which has a shear strength of 700N/mm² vs 12.9 grade which is supposed to have 1200N/mm².
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2023, 07:06 AM   #131
FrankMstein
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x_ View Post
Well, OP never came back to the thread so have no idea about him but Todd20 and S55_M3 had aftermarket hubs.

Not sure about MagicF8X as he didn't come back to the thread as well, but he posted this

It seems like the bolts that were installed were A2-70 from what I can see in the picture, which has a shear strength of 700N/mm² vs 12.9 grade which is supposed to have 1200N/mm².
They do look SS which is why I asked for another pic of the drive. DO NOT use stainless steel for this application.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2023, 07:29 PM   #132
Wanted_M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Frozen Blue M4CS

No issues so far, sorry for the crappy pic.
ARM DP's/Resonated Mid-pipe | SPL links | Hotchkis bars | JRZ RS2/camber plates | K&N | Koyorad HX | Powerflex purple | Rouge | Spiegler | Speed Eng. snorkel | Vargas CBC/hub | Wagner IC | xHP | Xpel stealth ppf

Last edited by Wanted_M; 08-31-2023 at 07:34 PM..
Appreciate 0