Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications

05-29-2018, 01:50 AM   #133
DanMpower
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3s and a Red VW

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhk118 View Post
Got the trunk kick sensor to work reliably with BMW CF diffuser.

I have the BMW rear diffuser and just did the modification above except zip tied it a bit higher so nothing is visible. I noticed like the original post of this thread says if the 2 middle install screws are used to stabilize the diffuser to the muffler heat shield then the kick function doesn't work, take the screws out and all of a sudden it works flawlessly. I think the screws are grounding the diffuser to the heat shield or messing with some gaussian distribution/flux capacitor in the kick sensor (insert clearly not an engineer quip here) and it doesn't work. I tried inserting rubber and plastic spacers between the diffuser and the heat shield but the metal screw would still prevent opening. So...I zip-tied the center diffuser tabs to the heat shield (2 each) rather than using the screws and kick function 100% active. For the 1 time a year I will actually need it!
Found this to be exactly how mine behaved after the MP rear diffuser. Instead of using zip ties though, I bought some plastic push clips and now my kick function works 100 percent with the MP diffuser.
Appreciate 1
Mr. Hankey1028.50
      05-31-2018, 03:00 PM   #134
jmr0311
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22' G82Cx Velvet Blue

Lloyd, can you share which kind of plastic push clips you bought for your rear diffuser installation? I used the good all zip tie but wouldn't mind using a clip for better support.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 06:22 PM   #135
SherM4n
M4 748(a)
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M4, '12 TT RS, '02 TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinonz View Post
The BMW installation instructions say to deactivate the kick feature because of this.
Not doubting (and I realize I'm quoting a 2-year old post), but what instructions are you using? The pdf posted here doesn't seem to mention this. Thanks!

Edit: Never mind, found an updated pdf that does indicate to disable the trunk kick access here.

Last edited by SherM4n; 05-31-2018 at 08:56 PM.. Reason: Found it!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2018, 06:40 AM   #136
Ed_rx7
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 CP

mine has the carbon diffuser already... does the kick function only come with comfort access cars?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 02:15 AM   #137
sandwi54
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: G07, F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_rx7 View Post
mine has the carbon diffuser already... does the kick function only come with comfort access cars?
Yes the kick function is part of the comfort access option. If you have a 2015 model and didn't get the executive package, you don't have comfort access.
      07-02-2018, 10:12 AM   #138
Penguinman87
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydChristmas View Post
Found this to be exactly how mine behaved after the MP rear diffuser. Instead of using zip ties though, I bought some plastic push clips and now my kick function works 100 percent with the MP diffuser.
Does your foot have to touch the diffuser in order for it to work 100% of the time or does it function exactly as stock diffuser does?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2018, 12:06 PM   #139
sandjam
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Status Gruppe MNF View Post
Trunk feature works 100% with our pre-preg CF Finned diffuser
I have had your diffuser for 2 years and its hit or miss, mostly never works when I want it to.

I am doing it exactly as your video shows in case your are wondering.

So I would not claim 100%.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2018, 09:20 PM   #140
TheONE24
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4/F82 MGM/SO

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [0.00]
09 BMW E92  [0.00]
I bought my F82 used and it already had a full wrap around diffuser in the rear. Not sure what brand it is. I was lucky to get the trunk kick to work every now and then and it would open constantly when washing my car with the key in my pocket. I read on one of the threads somewhere that someone had success removing the two plastic push rivets from the top sensor and unhooking the two middle clips from the bottom sensor. I did this today, which in effect causes the sensors to hang down lower, and so far it is working great. Since it was today I'm curious if in the future I get false openings when driving in the rain etc.. If I do I will update the post but so far this seems to be the easiest fix I've seen. Hopefully this helps out.
      09-16-2018, 09:46 PM   #141
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheONE24 View Post
I bought my F82 used and it already had a full wrap around diffuser in the rear. Not sure what brand it is. I was lucky to get the trunk kick to work every now and then and it would open constantly when washing my car with the key in my pocket. I read on one of the threads somewhere that someone had success removing the two plastic push rivets from the top sensor and unhooking the two middle clips from the bottom sensor. I did this today, which in effect causes the sensors to hang down lower, and so far it is working great. Since it was today I'm curious if in the future I get false openings when driving in the rain etc.. If I do I will update the post but so far this seems to be the easiest fix I've seen. Hopefully this helps out.
Since your key fob is nowhere near the trunk while you're driving, there's no way that this will happen. It's just not the way it works.

Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 08:57 AM   #142
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAETD M View Post
This^^

I used plastic push pins similar to what holds your interior trunk panels that I got from amazon and this feature works every single time with my oem MP diffuser.
      10-25-2018, 02:26 PM   #143
mpower3o2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 AP M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
This^^

I used plastic push pins similar to what holds your interior trunk panels that I got from amazon and this feature works every single time with my oem MP diffuser.
Have a link to these push pins?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 02:41 PM   #144
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

I bought this kit

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

05-03-2020, 12:22 PM   #145
ProfM3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '18 M3 & '05 M3 (to be sold)

I have a M performance carbon diffuser on my car and was experiencing the problem of the kick to open function not working correctly. It was not just that it didn't work when you wanted to use it but it would trigger seemingly randomly. The other night my foot brushed underneath the rear driver's side corner of the car and the trunk popped open. Other times I would find the trunk had opened unexpectedly.

On my car the 8mm screws for the 2 tabs in the center of diffuser go through the diffuser, then the heat shield, then the plastic part underneath that holds the screw clip that engages the 8mm screw.

Based on the comments in this thread that there is an electrical connection between the diffuser and the heat shield because they are in contact with each other, put a rubber spacer between the diffuser tab and the heat shield. I also used a couple of plastic fasteners rather than the 2 metal screws (which would also provide a conductive path between the diffuser and the heat shield.

After doing this the trunk kick to open function started working reliably with the BMW M Performance carbon fiber diffuser. Hopefully it will remain working, otherwise I will code out the function. I like the diffuser more than I need the foot kick to open trunk release function.

Here's a photo of the parts I used.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 06:46 PM   #146
torvektheo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 X3; 981 Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfM3 View Post
I have a M performance carbon diffuser on my car and was experiencing the problem of the kick to open function not working correctly. It was not just that it didn't work when you wanted to use it but it would trigger seemingly randomly. The other night my foot brushed underneath the rear driver's side corner of the car and the trunk popped open. Other times I would find the trunk had opened unexpectedly.

On my car the 8mm screws for the 2 tabs in the center of diffuser go through the diffuser, then the heat shield, then the plastic part underneath that holds the screw clip that engages the 8mm screw.

Based on the comments in this thread that there is an electrical connection between the diffuser and the heat shield because they are in contact with each other, put a rubber spacer between the diffuser tab and the heat shield. I also used a couple of plastic fasteners rather than the 2 metal screws (which would also provide a conductive path between the diffuser and the heat shield.

After doing this the trunk kick to open function started working reliably with the BMW M Performance carbon fiber diffuser. Hopefully it will remain working, otherwise I will code out the function. I like the diffuser more than I need the foot kick to open trunk release function.

Where did you get the plastic fastener screw and the rubber grommet? Thanks for sharing the tips
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 02:41 PM   #147
ProfM3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '18 M3 & '05 M3 (to be sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by torvektheo View Post
Quote:

Where did you get the plastic fastener screw and the rubber grommet? Thanks for sharing the tips
Quote:
Quote:

You can get the plastics fasteners from a BMW dealer or even Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CJHR26Q..._a-P2Eb0DTBR9Q

(8mm expanding rivet BMW part 51471911992)

The grommets can found at a regular hardware store.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 05:57 PM   #148
fabulousprofound
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

I just had a diffuser installed today at a shop and they would not do this trunk kick fix for me. They said I run the risk of the sensor melting because relocating it makes it so close to the exhaust heat shield, and they wanted no liability. Has anyone had issues with theirs melting or failing from doing this mod?

Last edited by fabulousprofound; 06-27-2020 at 09:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 04:27 PM   #149
torvektheo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 X3; 981 Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabulousprofound View Post
I just had a diffuser installed today at a shop and they would not do this trunk kick fix for me. They said I run the risk of the sensor melting because relocating it makes it so close to the exhaust heat shield, and they wanted no liability. Has anyone had issues with theirs melting or failing from doing this mod?
Apply this fix. I made a video of the fix that worked for me and many other guys from the forum. Thanks

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=26252513
02 E46M3 SMG; 98 E36M3/4/5; R56 Cooper S 6speed
17 ZCP F80M3; F36 435i; E93 335i; E46 330Ci 6Speed
Appreciate 2
omgf80207.00
-nexus-11.00
      04-01-2024, 09:13 AM   #150
-nexus-
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 F82 M4 Competition

Quote:
Apply this fix. I made a video of the fix that worked for me and many other guys from the forum. Thanks

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=26252513
+1 that this works.

I installed my CF diffuser using plastic clips for the two middle screws and the boot kick works 100% of the time. No sensor relocation or anything messy, just plastic clips as shown in the video. 1500km later and no issues.
Appreciate 0