Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications

10-30-2018, 08:02 PM   #111
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 Manual AW F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by exo-shell View Post
I just bought a that Cobywheel shift boot. Mine is the black alcantara with colored stitching.

The boot comes with a lot of extra length as it tapers. I ended up having to trim it to make it work. The material is really thin though. It feels kind of cheap as it doesn't have the "fluff".
Thanks. But for being over $400 cheaper than IND it’s a no brainer. How do you mate it to the OEM knob? The ring looks like it’s sealed around the leather from factory. Any DIY is much appreciated.

Thanks.
Attached Images

My Amazing European Delivery Story
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 08:09 PM   #112
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M/// View Post
Thanks. But for being over $400 cheaper than IND it’s a no brainer. How do you mate it to the OEM knob? The ring looks like it’s sealed around the leather from factory. Any DIY is much appreciated.

Thanks.
I had already separated the lower ring from the knob a long time ago due to my many adventures with Short Shift Kits. Anyhow, it's not difficult to separate; you just have to be delicate.

- The knob separates from the lower ring via two tabs. You will see them after you pull off the knob.
- The boot is glued to the lower ring which is sandwiched to the knob when fully installed.
- Just gently peel away the boot from the ring.

You can choose to glue the new boot onto the ring if you want a seamless install. I just tucked the boot in between the ring and knob before jamming the knob on the shifter which forced the boot to be sandwiched. My methods are not for the OCD.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 08:19 PM   #113
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I had already separated the lower ring from the knob a long time ago due to my many adventures with Short Shift Kits. Anyhow, it's not difficult to separate; you just have to be delicate.

- The knob separates from the lower ring via two tabs. You will see them after you pull off the knob.
- The boot is glued to the lower ring which is sandwiched to the knob when fully installed.
- Just gently peel away the boot from the ring.

You can choose to glue the new boot onto the ring if you want a seamless install. I just tucked the boot in between the ring and knob before jamming the knob on the shifter which forced the boot to be sandwiched. My methods are not for the OCD.

Thanks. Few questions.

When you say ring you mean the silver one just below the knob. Correct?

I looked at this IND video and I think the first step would be to remove the complete assembly (knob with the boot) and then work on it off the car?

How did you attach the Alcantara boot to the square bottom portion?

Thanks.

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 08:35 PM   #114
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. Few questions.

When you say ring you mean the silver one just below the knob. Correct?

I looked at this IND video and I think the first step would be to remove the complete assembly (knob with the boot) and then work on it off the car?

How did you attach the Alcantara boot to the square bottom portion?

Thanks.
No. The silver ring is just superficial. There is another ring that goes underneath the silver ring. It is a normal looking plastic (yellowish white color). Here's a pic. You can see one of the tabs on the right side. The other tab is broken.

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 08:52 PM   #115
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
No. The silver ring is just superficial. There is another ring that goes underneath the silver ring. It is a normal looking plastic (yellowish white color). Here's a pic. You can see one of the tabs on the right side. The other tab is broken.

Thanks a lot. Did you break that? What do I need to watch out for? Any tips? So you just transfer the outside ring to the new boot?

Also can you answer the 2nd question I had above regarding the lower square portion of the boot? Did you just wrap that Alcantara around it or staple/glue it?

Thanks again.

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 09:05 PM   #116
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep

Quote:
Thanks a lot. Did you break that? What do I need to watch out for? Any tips? So you just transfer the outside ring to the new boot?

Also can you answer the 2nd question I had above regarding the lower square portion of the boot? Did you just wrap that Alcantara around it or staple/glue it?

Thanks again.
That photo isn't mine, but I broke one of my tabs as well. Nothing to watch out for, just be patient when disassembling.

You don't need to use glue to attach the bottom of the boot to the frame. The boot has cutouts along the perimeter that latches onto hooks on the frame that line up to the cut outs. The stock boot also has staples (overkill imo) that are easily removable. You can choose to staple the new boot. I chose not to.
Appreciate 1
///M///1862.00
      10-31-2018, 10:06 AM   #117
ByeFelicia
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
I just bought a that Cobywheel shift boot. Mine is the black alcantara with colored stitching.

The boot comes with a lot of extra length as it tapers. I ended up having to trim it to make it work. The material is really thin though. It feels kind of cheap as it doesn't have the "fluff". But after I installed it, I didn't really think about it anymore.

Im about to tackle this same project except use an illuminated F10 ZHP knob.

When you mention thin and cheap (which I can understand with the price of the shifter boot) do you think it would be a obvious difference if I were to get the OEM alcantara ebrake boot+handle to add later?

I'd like to hope at least the color and darkness of the alcantara's match
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 10:26 AM   #118
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeFelicia View Post

When you mention thin and cheap (which I can understand with the price of the shifter boot) do you think it would be a obvious difference if I were to get the OEM alcantara ebrake boot+handle to add later?

advavtages of f10 zhp knob?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 10:26 AM   #119
saveywil1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘21 F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeFelicia View Post

I got a colby boot to fit, Match is pretty much perfect. Sorry I didn't take any pictures of it lined up with the other pieces.

Not being the most confident in my DIY skills I dropped it in to a local Auto Upholster to do the swap. I'll post pictures when it's all done.

I do agree that the material is a little thinner than the handbrake alcantara but it doesn't appear to differ in how it will sit.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 10:59 AM   #120
ByeFelicia
Captain
Rep

saveywil1
Thanks for the response, yeah I guess I wouldn't really be handling the alcantara bits that much but if it isn't the texture/weight that matches, I def want the color to match.
Looking forward to your photos when you post.

G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
I want to retain illumination and the Mperformance one is too small and does not illuminate.

Ive seen the zhp one in e46's and they visually look beefier but look oem. And it's more weighted and shorter.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2018, 04:58 PM   #121
saveywil1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘21 F90 M5 Competition

Lacking confidence I went to an auto upholsterer, I wish I had not. They cut the supplied boot off and then unsuccessfully tried to glue it on the inside of the new boot. They also managed to break the two smaller tabs. Unsure that it is salvageable.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 01:01 PM   #122
mwilks
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i xdrive M Sport 6MT

For anyone with the M-Performance shifter, I just bought mine and once installed it looks slightly out of line (the shift pattern does not look to be sitting perpendicular with the car). Has anyone else notice this. Hopefully this makes sense. I will post a photo when I get a chance to take one.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 07:57 PM   #123
joegie
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwilks View Post
For anyone with the M-Performance shifter, I just bought mine and once installed it looks slightly out of line (the shift pattern does not look to be sitting perpendicular with the car). Has anyone else notice this. Hopefully this makes sense. I will post a photo when I get a chance to take one.
why don't you just take the knob off, adjust it to your liking before reattaching it to the shifter?
      11-06-2018, 09:50 PM   #124
mwilks
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joegie View Post
Quote:
why don't you just take the knob off, adjust it to your liking before reattaching it to the shifter?
If you look at the shift shaft and the knob it only has only angle at which it can be attached. Shift shaft has a notch cut in it with a bar on the inside of the shift know to fit snuggly. There is no adjustment without twisting the shift shaft itself (not sure if this is even possible). It could just be my eyes playing ticks on me though. Will take a pic tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 10:12 PM   #125
joegie
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP 6MT

Quote:
If you look at the shift shaft and the knob it only has only angle at which it can be attached. Shift shaft has a notch cut in it with a bar on the inside of the shift know to fit snuggly. There is no adjustment without twisting the shift shaft itself (not sure if this is even possible). It could just be my eyes playing ticks on me though. Will take a pic tomorrow.
probably your eyes playing tricks on you, i have the same knob and have no issues
      11-07-2018, 08:27 AM   #126
mwilks
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joegie View Post
probably your eyes playing tricks on you, i have the same knob and have no issues
Definitely turned out to be my eyes playing tricks. Sat in the middle back seat and the lines were dead straight. I'm thinking it's because the M Sport knob doesn't really have any pattern lines for gears 1-4 where as the M Performance knob has more of a pattern since the "M Performance" is much thinner than the "M" logo on the sport knob.
Appreciate 1
joegie110.00
      11-09-2018, 08:40 AM   #127
nbennettksu
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: DV F80

I just LOVE the regular shifter
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchu221 View Post
the wheels make me mad...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhabs View Post
It's one thing for some buffoon to put an M badge on something that doesn't deserve it...it's another for a multi-billion dollar corporation to do the exact same thing and keep a straight face.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2018, 10:42 PM   #128
paulo_f80m3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01' E46 325i / 16' F80 M3

Garage List
2001 BMW 325i  [8.50]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
I went back to the factory knob but stayed with iND's tri-stich boot. I love how it lights up. I knew I was going to go back. You can't go wrong with either one. I'll be going from one to the other you guys watch. 😂
Attached Images

07-19-2019, 04:35 PM   #129
xsx450
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 m3

Dont mean to revive an old thread. But I was gassed by what people are charging for these shifter setups (HIGHWAY ROBBERY).

You can get the same thing here:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/28355266415...m=283552664151

Genuine, from BMW, fits perfect in F80
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 04:00 AM   #130
YMBF801989
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 YMB/Silverstone

Hi,

Sorry to bump this but does anyone have a part number for the M Performance knob?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 01:53 PM   #131
EricP3
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 X3M Comp

reviving this thread because i want the m-performance knob but im getting confused. It seems like the f-series m-performance knob with the white stitching does not fit on an F80 m3 only the other 3-4 series?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Genuine....c100903.m5276

https://www.buybmwpartsdirect.com/oe...ob-25112222534

Is there a different one for the m3?