R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

03-29-2024, 10:02 AM   #1
numbers201788
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Strange break pad corrosion

I was replacing my OEM front break pads when I noticed the edges are shaved down and the top of pad has holes on top. Have anyone seen this before? First time changing pads - only did one track day on them (huge mistake).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-30-2024, 06:46 PM   #2
D_SheerDrivingPleasure
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

That's called pad taper which is not unusual. There are several possible causes. In your case, it's likely OEM pads being overheated. It could also be a sticky piston or even incorrectly installed calipers or pad tension clip. Did the other front brake pad experience the same taper?

The pockmarks are nothing to worry about.

Next time try a more suitable pad. PFC, ferodo, etc.
Appreciate 1
2sporty243.50
      03-31-2024, 01:12 PM   #3
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

That’s the most severe pad taper I’ve ever seen from a stock caliper! I don’t know if it’s the angle of the picture but the pad material looks like it’s really thick. How do the other front and rear pads look? Yeah, stock pads don’t do well on track. It’s best if you have dedicated sets of street and track pads. There are several track pad options for the stock blue calipers. It’s hard to recommend a pad to someone because we all brake differently and prioritize pad characteristics differently but getting a track pad that’s rotor friendly is one most people will agree on, unless you have a brake sponsor
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2024, 11:11 PM   #4
Ropes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 CS

The edges are not worn down. It is manufactured this way to reduce the noise of the pads. Pads that are not angled on the edges will have a tendency to make a bit of noise while braking. Well more than one without the edges angled.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 10:27 AM   #5
MineralWhiteF80
Dont listen to me
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82, E92 M3, G30 M550i, E46

Your pads look like they have been overheated due to the race track excursion. When I overheat even dedicated track pads, I will get little chunks or pock marks in the pads (like yours). Other than than that, I dont see any issues with your pads.

The extreme edges of your pads that have that strong taper are completely normal. See first picture below of new pads; you can see the taper.

I dont see any actual irregular wear from your pictures, but it's also hard to see exactly without you putting a digital caliper up to them and measuring the thickness of the left side versus the right. Second picture shows what I mean by pad taper.
Attached Images

04-05-2024, 06:50 AM   #6
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineralWhiteF80 View Post
Your pads look like they have been overheated due to the race track excursion. When I overheat even dedicated track pads, I will get little chunks or pock marks in the pads (like yours). Other than than that, I dont see any issues with your pads.

The extreme edges of your pads that have that strong taper are completely normal. See first picture below of new pads; you can see the taper.

I dont see any actual irregular wear from your pictures, but it's also hard to see exactly without you putting a digital caliper up to them and measuring the thickness of the left side versus the right. Second picture shows what I mean by pad taper.
Aren’t the two lines on the left end of the pad not showing taper?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0