Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

Closed Thread

03-15-2016, 11:35 AM   #23
firedown31
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 AW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbear View Post
The "quattro" on the front has to go though...
100% agree, same on the RS3, the one thing I don't like and would get rid of right away. It's just out of place. But still love both cars.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 11:40 AM   #24
brava09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4C xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
It is a little surprising to me that some people want to replace their F80 with this car rather than the similar RS3 sedan which retains most of the utility of the M3.
Come on, the TT-RS will run circles around the RS3 sedan. The TT-RS is a hugely desirable car, RS3 not so much.

Wanted to order a TT-RS Plus two years ago, unfortunately was no longer available. However, today I am ready to give up on the utility of my RS5 in exchange to some hot TT-RS. I have other cars for utility, and I guess that is the case for most of the people on this board that are looking at the TT-RS.

You have a point on the Cayman though...yet the lack of utility in this case is even worse. Plus a 4 banger vs 5.
11 Audi RS5 Misano Red--sold
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black 6MT--sold
08 E92 335i 6MT traded in for M3
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 11:51 AM   #25
M3ZING
Banned
Rep
Drives: Audi RS6 C7

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava09
Quote:
It is a little surprising to me that some people want to replace their F80 with this car rather than the similar RS3 sedan which retains most of the utility of the M3. .
Come on, the TT-RS will run circles around the RS3 sedan. The TT-RS is a hugely desirable car, RS3 not so much.

Wanted to order a TT-RS Plus two years ago, unfortunately was no longer available. However, today I am ready to give up on the utility of my RS5 in exchange to some hot TT-RS. I have other cars for utility, and I guess that is the case for most of the people on this board that are looking at the TT-RS.

You have a point on the Cayman though...yet the lack of utility in this case is even worse. Plus a 4 banger vs 5.
Cayman wont get a flat four until a year or a year and a half so if you're lucky you could grab a flat six model now.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 12:04 PM   #26
DC-T
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 M5/Golf R/Amarok

Another Polo...I mean Jetta. Wait-Skoda?

Never mind. Some Wolfsburg thing
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 12:48 PM   #27
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava09
Quote:
It is a little surprising to me that some people want to replace their F80 with this car rather than the similar RS3 sedan which retains most of the utility of the M3. .

The Cayman will never match the TTRS power wise (especially with an APR tune).

The Cayman will be the much better handling car though until you put a little money into the TTRS to dial out the understeer.

The TTRS has much more potential and is cheaper with bigger power coming easy.

When I had my APR stage 1 TTRS, I test drove a Cayman S and was underwhelmed with the power.
13' Audi TTRS (APR stage 1, MSS springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' M3 Interlagos Blue: 6sp, Tech.
Appreciate 2
      03-15-2016, 02:01 PM   #28
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava09 View Post
Circles? Not a chance. The RS3 sedan isn't even a real product yet. You're trolling.

I can believe that the TT RS might end up being a bit faster than the RS3 (whatever body style) depending on the situation, sure, but it also has nowhere near the cabin space. If the discrepancy ends up being appreciably more than an M3's performance vs. an M4's (which is negligible), then that's poor execution. Unless they give the TT RS a lot more power which, as I said above, is not likely.

Quote:
Well, even if one cared about cylinder count, the Cayman that was available when people who have M3s today first bought them had a six cylinder engine.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 03:01 PM   #29
Inablur
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Silber Bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC-T View Post
Another Polo...I mean Jetta. Wait-Skoda?

Never mind. Some Wolfsburg thing

Wish Bimmerpost had a "Negged" option for comments like this srs.

So Porsche, Lamborghini, Bugatti, Bentley are all glorified Skodas?

GTFO here
Appreciate 2
      03-17-2016, 01:10 AM   #30
csbear
Major
Rep
Drives: SO M2C

Quote:
Anyway, the TT RS probably won't make 400hp. Some said it would make 400hp last time, and it never got there, although the US did get the engine from the hotter "plus" model sold ROW.

Where the Quattro RS models are concerned, I think its a matter of just not quite having the same halo effect that M and AMG models typically do, so they cannot justify putting so many resources into them for the US market (maybe China too, dunno). It's a question of priorities.

I think the B9 A5 and friends are on the same cycle length as the B9 A4 was, which is to say just slightly longer than the typical seven-ish years this time. Of course, yes, the RS5 is going to trail behind the A5/S5 significantly yet again. Lamentable. A consistently available and competitive AWD entry in this class might put pressure on others to follow.
Good points... especially about the RS having a lesser known reputation compared to M and AMG in the U.S. Never really thought about it that way. Wish that would change, but it won't anytime soon due to our car culture.

Audi's RS5 trailing behind the A5/S5 is sad. Not sure why or how Mercedes does it, but they release all the versions of one platform at the same time. For example, when the C205 (coupe) is released, then I think the C300, C450, C63 AMG, C63S AMG are all released around the same time. Correct me if I'm wrong...

Compared to MB, it is interesting that BMW and Audi delay their respective M and RS models after the base engine models are released. I guess this is all part of keeping a consistent release cycle that manufacturers don't want to break away from.

Last edited by csbear; 03-17-2016 at 01:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 07:42 AM   #31
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbear View Post
Audi's RS5 trailing behind the A5/S5 is sad. Not sure why or how Mercedes does it, but they release all the versions of one platform at the same time. For example, when the C205 (coupe) is released, then I think the C300, C450, C63 AMG, C63S AMG are all released around the same time. Correct me if I'm wrong...
Sort of. Mercedes-AMG definitely maintains a tighter cycle than BMW M, but they don't drop simultaneously with the standard model - they trail a bit. Some may say they are quicker to market because their products don't feature as much differentiation as BMW's do as compared to the model on which they are based. I'm not sure this is as true anymore, especially with the C205 C63 and its unique bodywork. At the same time, BMW seems to be shortening up their schedule a bit (some may attribute that to increasingly less differentiation from the Series model - again, debatable).

The other thing to consider is that just speaking in general, coupes/convertibles trail their sedan/wagon sibling. So, the M or AMG version of the coupe/convertible typically release closer to the debut of the non-M/non-AMG model because it benefits from the development already done on the sedan/touring. Case in point: F80 M3 trailed the F30 3 Series by more than two years, but the F82/F83 M4 trailed the release of the respective F32/F33 by only a few months since all the Ms came to market at about the same time (though the convertible was a bit late). By contrast, however, Mercedes actually allowed the W205/S205 C63 to debut before the C205 C63, and soon the A205 C63 will hit. By staggering them, they really decrease the wait time. I hope BMW does this with the next generation G20-based F9x M3 (launch a year or so prior to the corresponding M4).

Quote:
Compared to MB, it is interesting that BMW and Audi delay their respective M and RS models after the base engine models are released. I guess this is all part of keeping a consistent release cycle that manufacturers don't want to break away from.
Yeah. It varies, but Mercedes-AMG seems to take on the order of a year-ish, BMW M two-ish years, and Audi Quattro GmBH about three. But again, coupes/convertibles often take less time than sedan/wagon due to what I say above.
Appreciate 2
      03-17-2016, 01:52 PM   #32
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by bates1325 View Post
I was looking around on Jalopnik and the 2017 Audi TT-RS was spotted in Spain at a gas station. Estimated to be in the 400 horsepower range AWD with either a DSG (audi DCT) or a manual. Since its going to be turbo, I would imagine the tuning capabilities would be as great as the previous Audi TT-RS. What are your thoughts?? Could be a fun toy, maybe more of an m2 competitor?

http://jalopnik.com/heres-the-new-au...ium=socialflow

It looks pretty good minus the wheel design.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 09:17 AM   #33
billyali86
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4 - Yas Marina

I used to own an APR'd TT RS which I adored but needing back seats meant it had to go. The 5 pot is such a characterful engine, its brilliant.

Will def be checking this out when released!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 10:55 AM   #34
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyali86
I used to own an APR'd TT RS which I adored but needing back seats meant it had to go. The 5 pot is such a characterful engine, its brilliant.

Will def be checking this out when released!
Same here, mine was an APR stage 1. If I didn't need 4 full seats, I would still have it.
13' Audi TTRS (APR stage 1, MSS springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' M3 Interlagos Blue: 6sp, Tech.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 11:24 AM   #35
billyali86
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4 - Yas Marina

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
Same here, mine was an APR stage 1. If I didn't need 4 full seats, I would still have it.
It was great wasn't it? I don't think there is much in that price range thats quicker point to point

Last edited by billyali86; 03-26-2016 at 07:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 07:36 AM   #36
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

It has been uncloaked, and they did indeed give it 400hp for real this time:

http://www.audizine.com/news/news.php?nid=324&npid=400

Impressive performance. If they drop this engine into the RS3 sedan (which seems like a good bet), then that'll be an extremely compelling product too.
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2016, 09:54 AM   #37
firedown31
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 AW M3

Quote:

Impressive performance. If they drop this engine into the RS3 sedan (which seems like a good bet), then that'll be an extremely compelling product too.
Oh man, this gets me excited for the RS3... hopefully with the same engine as you mentioned.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 12:44 PM   #38
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Should be interesting, looks promising 400Hp 2.5liter inline 5

Exhaust Sounds Money

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 12:47 PM   #39
rr006rbc
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M440i GC

Finally a TT that doesn't look like a girly car. Well, it's down to just 7.5% girly now; due to the side profile and stumpiness. Not bad considering it was about 95%.
Love that it has an angry turbocharged 5-banger; must sound wicked w/ that cylinder firing order.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 04:03 PM   #40
csbear
Major
Rep
Drives: SO M2C

Quote:

Agree.. I am actually interested in both RS3 and TT RS now. And as reviews say, Audi says it's more of a drivers car, so hopefully less understeery, etc.

Another 18 min video (some of the same stuff, but more shots of the Nardo? grey one as well):

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 06:54 PM   #41
bimmerj
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: cars

Hope it was not posted.
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/audi/tt...0-62mph-in-37s
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 11:12 PM   #42
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

I was interested in the TTRS the first time it came to the US, and will be interested in this one as well, but can't shake the feeling that I should get a used 997 turbo instead for the same $....

I guess it comes down to new + warranty + DCT vs. used + 6MT + porsche logo
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2016, 08:04 AM   #43
PeteRock
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: SO Comp Pack F80 M3

The roadster looks quite a lot worse than the coupe in my eyes. I'm a bit disappointed in the styling in general. From the side it looks a bit stubby, and no flared wheel arches 😩

This car was in my crosshairs, but now I'm not sure I like the look of it.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 08:21 AM   #44
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteRock View Post
The roadster looks quite a lot worse than the coupe in my eyes. I'm a bit disappointed in the styling in general. From the side it looks a bit stubby, and no flared wheel arches 😩

This car was in my crosshairs, but now I'm not sure I like the look of it.
In terms of looks, I'm just not impressed at all. I really don't think it's a good looking car personally.

Now the way it sounds and the way it goes, that's a completely different story.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread