Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

05-16-2014, 10:30 AM   #1
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

Anyone else getting a stripper?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Har Har.

In all seriousness, I've been considering options out the wazoo. BMW's delightful packaging and exceptional pricing has made me realize that for me the best option is no option at all.

Thanks to UAE247's beautiful pictures, alpine white became a favorite.

And the cloth/leather interior is unique and comfortable and costs nothing and probably weighs a bit less..

So then I got stuck considering the exec package. Easy no, terrible value.

19" wheels? Nah, for $1200 + loss of the stock wheels and tires, not worth it to me.

How about the adaptive m suspension? At $1000, probably the best value. But I'm going to "trust" BMW on this one that the standard sport suspension is the way to go.

And of course the M/T in the 1M is one of the finest, and M/T makes me cooler too. And it saves me $3k and a ton of weight. Easy choice.

So here I am about to put a build together and deciding on literally the most basic car out there. White on cloth with zero options.

Anyone else find themselves go the same direction? It's actually made me look into leasing the car just in the event I decide after 3 years that I want a different spec.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 10:43 AM   #2
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Supra 3.0 (Past: 2015 M23

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Please try a car with executive package or just tech package it makes the everyday commute so much better and brings a lot of comfort to your whole car. I've been driving my mom's 428 since she's been in town and I'm really impressed. I even believe satellite radio is worth the money now (I was jamming on the way to work today lol). Best thing though is the HUD and the HUD in the f8x is better than the one in her car

Now if this won't be your daily commuter and more of a track car then I would get a stripper but with 19s and CCBs.

$1200 to upgrade the wheels is a great deal how much do you think you will be able to sell the stock 18s for? and how much will you pay for some decent rims? is it worth the hassle?

My 2 cents
      05-16-2014, 10:49 AM   #3
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep

How does the exec package bring comfort? Genuine question? HUD? Comfort Access? I don't care about those, I don't want headlight washers, heated steering wheel is bleh, I would like a rear view camera. That's it.

Btw, the car in essence comes with the tech package of the f30.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 10:53 AM   #4
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA View Post
How does the exec package bring comfort? Genuine question? HUD? Comfort Access? I don't care about those, I don't want headlight washers, heated steering wheel is bleh, I would like a rear view camera. That's it.

To each their own. I wont own another car without HUD or comfort access (or the equivalent) after owning one with.

It's one of those, sounds overrated until you live with it. I absolutely hate loaner BMWs because they dont have them often and I feel like I'm driving a early 2000s honda rather than a luxury car.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 10:54 AM   #5
IMrMark
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [9.66]
I got caught in the exec package because I was really interested in going with a colored leather interior and dammit, that HUD was what really had me geeking out. Honestly, if that HUD had been a sep item, the exec package probably wouldn't have stood a chance... damn them.

Once I had that, though, I figured I might as well cap off the camera items to have it all rounded out in the build. Actually don't feel that I need it - I can park my subie anywhere, anytime - but its not "bad" to have in case.

MT for same reasons.

19s... it's a good point, could keep the stock 18s for winter tires, get 19s aftermarket for probably around the same bit +/-.. might need to think about that. probably paying for convenience of already having it ready to go, but then you still have to fork out for 18s for winter so... hummmm

but I'm much more interested in the concierge option. We all went for that right?
Instagram: IMrMark
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 10:54 AM   #6
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep

I can't speak for HUD, but I basically despise the comfort access feature on my e60 535xit. It's a bit nicer on my 07 Touareg, but I wind up unlocking and locking the car with the fob anyway most of the time. If this was my kid-schlepping mobile, I'd want CA. But it's not.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 10:57 AM   #7
67abarth
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: m3 white

I have ordered a stripper with only the adaptive suspension. I have had a 3 series and many Porsche and Corvette strippers and have never been sorry. I would have paid extra for cloth seats. I see no purpose in 19s especially without a spare or run flats. I have never liked run flats and thus replaced them with regular high performance tires. My Lotus 7 and 67 Abarth had no options and joyed them both on the street and autocross.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 11:07 AM   #8
gtr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 CTR

I would consider active suspension and hk option. So if you want xm u need to get that exec pack? BMW must be really pushing for that $4000 option lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 11:12 AM   #9
ake
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW i4 e40

Quote:
So here I am about to put a build together and deciding on literally the most basic car out there. White on cloth with zero options.
That's perfect. Do it. You'll be the one to put the naked ///M on scale then and can tell us how much it actually weighs. I think every body else will have added weight to it.

I will be your opposite, have almost every option except the automatic rear sunshade and concierge service
[ Yas Marina Blue | Black Full Merino Leather | 19" Black-Light Alloy Wheels | M Double-Clutch Transmission | Carbon Fiber interior | Driver Assistance Plus / Lighting / Executive | Adaptive M Suspension | Harman Kardon Surround ]
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 11:13 AM   #10
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67abarth View Post
I have ordered a stripper with only the adaptive suspension. I have had a 3 series and many Porsche and Corvette strippers and have never been sorry. I would have paid extra for cloth seats. I see no purpose in 19s especially without a spare or run flats. I have never liked run flats and thus replaced them with regular high performance tires. My Lotus 7 and 67 Abarth had no options and joyed them both on the street and autocross.
Yeah I struggled over the adaptive suspension option. At $1000, it's a technologically advanced and superior suspension and I do like to have a more comfortable ride when driving the jersey turnpike. Ugh. now I'm questioning myself
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 11:22 AM   #11
LDSM
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

That doesn't sound bad at all.

The 19" rims seem like a good deal for forged oem wheels though.
But those come with added expense in the case of emergency or tire replacement
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 11:34 AM   #12
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
IF I order one of these in 2015....it will have minimal to no options added. I'd keep the 18s too. see no point in spending on options. Nice that it comes with Nav stock! saves me plenty of money!

the only option I'll have to do is the partial leather....because I don't want cloth seats....
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 11:36 AM   #13
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:

With the new laws requiring it I'm guessing the back-up cam will be standard in 16?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 11:36 AM   #14
ixse
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 boxster s

having no leather interior definitely brings cheaper feek to the whole car. go sit in cloth int f30, than find one w any colored leather int.. its night n day difference imo. if im spening 60k plus, i dont want a interior that feels like a terrible loaner f30 cars from dealer.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 11:40 AM   #15
Oakleyguy
Resident Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Land Cruiser

Garage List
2014 Toyota URJ200  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
2005 Toyota UZJ100  [0.00]
I've been struggling with dropping my exec pack and going with CSAT (cloth) myself. It would save a nice chunk of change.

My plan has been to have my car nicely optioned now, but swap her out for a stripped LCI version in 3 years, OR a stripped M2.

EDIT:
The M3/4 cloth seats are a combination of leather & cloth on the same seat frame as the full leather option. So they are not comparable to any cloth 3 or 4 series seats.
European Delivery Journal & F8X Door Rattle Fix
Machine Shop Directory - www.mfgcenter.com
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 11:45 AM   #16
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakleyguy
I've been struggling with dropping my exec pack and going with CSAT (cloth) myself. It would save a nice chunk of change.

My plan has been to have my car nicely optioned now, but swap her out for a stripped LCI version in 3 years, OR a stripped M2.

EDIT:
The M3/4 cloth seats are a combination of leather & cloth on the same seat frame as the full leather option. So they are not comparable to any cloth 3 or 4 series seats.
are there any good pics of the cloth seats in the F8X around?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 11:51 AM   #17
Oakleyguy
Resident Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Land Cruiser

Garage List
2014 Toyota URJ200  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
2005 Toyota UZJ100  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
Best I know of at this time:

European Delivery Journal & F8X Door Rattle Fix
Machine Shop Directory - www.mfgcenter.com
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 12:26 PM   #18
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
A true stripper indeed. Nice.

The only things I added to my build are DCT and Metallic Paint (Sakhir Orange). If there were a non-metallic red, I'd probably have strongly considered that. I also (to my dismay) got the no-cost sunroof option due to the incompatibility of the CFRP roof with the roof rails.

I'll be very interested to hear the weight of your car should you elect to take it to the scales.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 12:40 PM   #19
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep

Thanks Mkoesel. Sent you a PM btw.

I would probably take it to some scales at some point. I'd also try out something fun, like going with 1/4 or 1/2 tank, low washer fluid, and loose stuff in the trunk removed/glovebox emptied. See how truly low she can ride around in

I decided to keep the 18" wheels and standard suspension. If I went 19", I'd want the adaptive suspension to ensure comfort - and I don't want to go down that road.

Keeping her stripped down baby!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 12:41 PM   #20
ake
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW i4 e40

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
Here are more:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335ihope View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post

[ Yas Marina Blue | Black Full Merino Leather | 19" Black-Light Alloy Wheels | M Double-Clutch Transmission | Carbon Fiber interior | Driver Assistance Plus / Lighting / Executive | Adaptive M Suspension | Harman Kardon Surround ]
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 12:42 PM   #21
GotEM4
General
Rep
Drives: EM4

Quote:
Har Har.

In all seriousness, I've been considering options out the wazoo. BMW's delightful packaging and exceptional pricing has made me realize that for me the best option is no option at all.

Thanks to UAE247's beautiful pictures, alpine white became a favorite.

And the cloth/leather interior is unique and comfortable and costs nothing and probably weighs a bit less..

So then I got stuck considering the exec package. Easy no, terrible value.

19" wheels? Nah, for $1200 + loss of the stock wheels and tires, not worth it to me.

How about the adaptive m suspension? At $1000, probably the best value. But I'm going to "trust" BMW on this one that the standard sport suspension is the way to go.

And of course the M/T in the 1M is one of the finest, and M/T makes me cooler too. And it saves me $3k and a ton of weight. Easy choice.

Anyone else find themselves go the same direction? It's actually made me look into leasing the car just in the event I decide after 3 years that I want a different spec.
you're not alone, why buy the exec pkg when u only want one part of it, not worth it to me. Although I like the 19" tires and leather interior, that's as basic as I want it, since it's not my daily car anyway. Alpine W. with black rims looks very nice. I would lease if I were u, but for me, I buy to own!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 12:52 PM   #22
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ake View Post
Here are more:
nice thanks for these pics. is that leather or leatherette on the sides and bolsters?
Appreciate 0