proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

02-12-2014, 04:01 PM   #221
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealStig
I did the math for my own case with buying out my car after my lease ends, including tires, maintenance, warranty, and payment, I actually end up paying $200 more a month now for another 5 years. If I financed the car initially maybe not such a big deal and I agree maybe this case is a bit extreme as in my time I got extremely good residuals (64%), but again i was talking about my own situation. It will take me at least 1.5 years to build any equity in the car and after 8 full years of ownership (and no warranty), the car will be worth 25-30k. Yes if I wait that long, It wont be more expensive, but if I wait for another year or two, I'll be flat if I sell the car and get into a new M3.

The problem with leasing is this, you have to keep leasing cars.
I was merely pointing out that your "facts" on ownership length for US vs UK was not only inaccurate, it was exactly the opposite of what you claimed... And when you post stuff like that you come across as someone who thinks that you know better about ownership in Europe than we do ourselves... As well as implying that in Europe we aren't as well off and have to keep our cars longer... Which would have been unpolite to say if it was true and just ridiculous when in fact it seems to be just the opposite that is the case!!!

Stop posting stuff that goes against readily available facts, and you won't be corrected all the time
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 04:04 PM   #222
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
I was merely pointing out that your "facts" on ownership length for US vs UK was not only inaccurate, it was exactly the opposite of what you claimed... And when you post stuff like that you come across as someone who thinks that you know better about ownership in Europe than we do ourselves... As well as implying that in Europe we aren't as well off and have to keep our cars longer... Which would have been unpolite to say if it was true and just ridiculous when in fact it seems to be just the opposite that is the case!!!

Stop posting stuff that goes against readily available facts, and you won't be corrected all the time
Well said!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 04:23 PM   #223
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealStig View Post
That sucks, I'd be pissed if they didnt let me in the car after paying for tickets and driving for an hour and a half to Philadelphia. Didnt you ask someone to let you in? Maybe they forgot to unlock the cars
he didn't bring his ///M hat.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 04:25 PM   #224
RealStig
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
I'm pretty sure they forgot it locked, I highly doubt they'll do it intentionally.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 06:06 PM   #225
MKE_M3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3

Quote:
That sucks, I'd be pissed if they didnt let me in the car after paying for tickets and driving for an hour and a half to Philadelphia. Didnt you ask someone to let you in? Maybe they forgot to unlock the cars
I definitely asked, a couple of people at that. I was a little pissed, but it seemed like at the Chicago Auto Show they keep getting more and more conservative about it. The Mercedes area had about 10 cars that you couldn't sit in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
Well... I was actually wearing my ///M shirt

On the bright side, I got to LOL at this in the parking lot...
Attached Images

02-12-2014, 06:11 PM   #226
RealStig
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKE_M3 View Post
I definitely asked, a couple of people at that. I was a little pissed, but it seemed like at the Chicago Auto Show they keep getting more and more conservative about it. The Mercedes area had about 10 cars that you couldn't sit in.

Well... I was actually wearing my ///M shirt

On the bright side, I got to LOL at this in the parking lot...
In Philadelphia Auto show there were so many people who brought there little kids to the show (which is fine, I brought my daughter as well) but they'd go completely crazy with the cars. Trying to sit in the trunk, step on the back seat to get up to touch the moon roof. All of this happened in M3. I was amazed that the car remained unlocked. My first reaction when I saw the car and the people around it was "oh god, they are going to lock these in a matter of minutes, let me take my pictures before it's too late!".

On that note, the M4 in our auto show was locked, but I heard it wasn't because of this reason. Apparently it was too much of a "pre-production" model that wasn't ready to be seen.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 06:09 PM   #227
TonyUF
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ordered 2011 335i

Caliper colors

Thanks for the informative post.

I see pictures with both blue and yellow calipers from various sources. I’m trying to understand the correlation, does it have to do with the ceramic break option?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 06:16 PM   #228
Carl L
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyUF View Post
Thanks for the informative post.

I see pictures with both blue and yellow calipers from various sources. I’m trying to understand the correlation, does it have to do with the ceramic break option?
Yes, gold are carbon ceramics, blue are steel. Some posers will probably repaint.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 08:00 AM   #229
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

Quote:
I wasnt necessarily talking about leg room. Yes there is probably 1-2 finger lengths more leg room. I was talking about still feeling cramped up in a small car or being just uncomfortable. My biggest gripe is the fact that i cant have 4 adults in the car without hearing them complain. You always feel claustrophobic. Maybe its the seats themselves and their angle or the overall cushion they provide.

An inche extra leg room is meaningless to me. I or anyone who sat in my car never complained about the leg room in the first place. I'm 5'11" and my wife is 5'10" so there was never lack of leg room anywhere in the car to begin with. My point is, the seats, especially the backseats, dont feel any different in terms of comfort and support. They are still 3 series seats, they are not like the old 5 series seats, totally different.
There are plenty of BMW offerings with big comfortable back seats. I don't think that was a huge priority for the M3 redesign. It has a reasonable back seat that can certainly accommodate two adults or teen age kids when going out to dinner.

If you are looking for a big comfortable back seat the 5 series is nice, the 7 nicer. I currently have a '12 X5 fully loaded with comfort seats, full nappa leather and all the goodies. It is an extremely comfortable and luxurious car, in fact I would put it up against anything BMW has to offer in terms of comfort. It's big, open, has great visibility, sits high... very comfortable to live with. When I was getting out of my '08 M3, all I wanted was something "bigger".

The funny thing was in making the original transition from the M3 the X5 felt HUGE.... but after a couple of years is drives exceptionally well (checked all the handling packages, expensive but worth it) and it is very comfortable. Honestly i'm going to lease another one at the end of the year.

The new M3 should be an awesome performance car. I'm sure it will drive incredibly well, and it is definitely providing porsche 991 levels of performance at 2/3 the price while offering a usable back seat. I think the best and smartest way to drive the M3 is in its simplest form... maybe some 19's, the handling pack and full leather. Its not meant to be luxury. What you are paying for is performance. After spending 3 years driving one every day, I can tell you first hand you are getting a very different car than a normal run of the mill 3 series 335.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 08:57 AM   #230
RealStig
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewM3driver View Post
There are plenty of BMW offerings with big comfortable back seats. I don't think that was a huge priority for the M3 redesign. It has a reasonable back seat that can certainly accommodate two adults or teen age kids when going out to dinner.

If you are looking for a big comfortable back seat the 5 series is nice, the 7 nicer. I currently have a '12 X5 fully loaded with comfort seats, full nappa leather and all the goodies. It is an extremely comfortable and luxurious car, in fact I would put it up against anything BMW has to offer in terms of comfort. It's big, open, has great visibility, sits high... very comfortable to live with. When I was getting out of my '08 M3, all I wanted was something "bigger".

The funny thing was in making the original transition from the M3 the X5 felt HUGE.... but after a couple of years is drives exceptionally well (checked all the handling packages, expensive but worth it) and it is very comfortable. Honestly i'm going to lease another one at the end of the year.

The new M3 should be an awesome performance car. I'm sure it will drive incredibly well, and it is definitely providing porsche 991 levels of performance at 2/3 the price while offering a usable back seat. I think the best and smartest way to drive the M3 is in its simplest form... maybe some 19's, the handling pack and full leather. Its not meant to be luxury. What you are paying for is performance. After spending 3 years driving one every day, I can tell you first hand you are getting a very different car than a normal run of the mill 3 series 335.
This is all spot on, my comments you quoted were towards people saying how the new F30 (and just so that we are clear what I said is by no means specific to the F80 M3) is the size of the old 5 series and how there is so much more room in the car. I am well aware of what a sedan M3 entails and what it is being marketed to be. There may be however people who are thinking they are buying an M car that is the size of an old 5 series, hence they may think it is like driving one of the old M5s, it is not. It does not feel that way and it should not feel that way.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 12:29 PM   #231
PABrian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
In Philadelphia Auto show there were so many people who brought there little kids to the show (which is fine, I brought my daughter as well) but they'd go completely crazy with the cars. Trying to sit in the trunk, step on the back seat to get up to touch the moon roof. All of this happened in M3. I was amazed that the car remained unlocked. My first reaction when I saw the car and the people around it was "oh god, they are going to lock these in a matter of minutes, let me take my pictures before it's too late!".

On that note, the M4 in our auto show was locked, but I heard it wasn't because of this reason. Apparently it was too much of a "pre-production" model that wasn't ready to be seen.
First paragraph, total truth. Being that I work at a dealer, I jumped on the opportunity to work the auto show as much as I could. I was there open to close the first Sunday, noon to 5 Friday, and open to close the second Saturday (yup...13hrs...holy cow).

Technically, the M3 and M4 (and i3, of course) were never supposed to be unlocked at any time for the show, mainly because they were "pre-production" models. I couldn't really see any tell-tale signs of them being pre-prod. cars, but the people BMW employs to run the shows decided to have just the M3 unlocked the first two days of the show because of how popular it was. They did lock it around 6ish Sunday...not sure what difference that really made, but it is what it is.

For example, the X5 and 428 convertible were also pre-production cars. It was most evident on the X5 with all the shiny black plastic trim pieces in and around the trunk area and a couple of other spots. On both cars, in a few small spots you could see remnants of the camo vinyl they put on these cars before release.

As for the M4, as far as I could tell, it and the M3 were both at the same level of "pre-production" status, they just unlocked the M3 because it had four doors and people could more easily check out the back seats.

Saturday evening about 10mins before the auto show closed I was allowed to get in the M4, pop the hood, take pictures, and play around with it before everyone wanted to leave. I'll be throwing some pictures up a bit later, mainly showcasing how deep under the hood that bracing goes...
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 01:15 PM   #232
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

Brian - How long have you worked for Ottos? I heard they were hiring a "genius" but you are news to me!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 01:22 PM   #233
PABrian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I have been doing this since October of 2012, but have only had the "Genius" title since September. It's a pretty fun job!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 01:51 PM   #234
Race_Doc11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 G82 M4

Garage List
2023 BMW G82 M4  [0.00]
2018 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 Audi RS5 (Sold)  [10.00]
2008 E93 M3 (Sold)  [10.00]
Both cars were locked later that day and stayed locked since however I went to the floor manager and I introduced myself and with a little help from my sales advisor who was there I got the M4 unlocked. They asked me if I need to see the M3 as well but I wasn't interested.
Quote:

Last edited by Race_Doc11; 02-19-2014 at 02:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 02:02 PM   #235
PABrian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Yeah they were good about opening the cars up to people who were truly interested, even the i3. If someone just came up to them asking to sit in the car, the answer was no. If a Client Advisor came to them explaining they have a good customer of theirs (or of the dealership) who is really interested in it, they'd be cool with opening it, but making sure that everyone and their children doesn't get in line to play with it.

First thing Sunday morning a very good customer of ours dropped by who is on our waiting list for both the M3 and M4 (can't decide which he wants...hah), wanting to check out the M4. No problem, let him in, I think one other guy checked it out, then it was locked.

Friday, I ended up talking to a guy and his friend about the i3 for a good 20 minutes, and when I went to ask if I could get the key to it, it wasn't a problem.

They just don't want everyone in them all the time partly because they're show cars and they don't want them worn a whole lot, but also because there might be bits and pieces here and there that are not 100% indicative of what the final road-going product will be like.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 02:36 PM   #236
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep

Hehehe, I'm an Ottos customer and BMW guy and the brusque attitude of the people during the week at least about letting me into the m3 was off-putting. I had no idea if they were employees of Ottos or not, but made me think worse of Ottos and BMW.

It was obvious I COULD get access if I made a fuss - they basically told me that.

Humorously, the roped off MacLaren area just involved me saying "Sir, I'd like to check out the Maserati's" before they unclipped the rope and shepherded me in.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 02:59 PM   #237
PABrian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA View Post
Hehehe, I'm an Ottos customer and BMW guy and the brusque attitude of the people during the week at least about letting me into the m3 was off-putting. I had no idea if they were employees of Ottos or not, but made me think worse of Ottos and BMW.

It was obvious I COULD get access if I made a fuss - they basically told me that.

Humorously, the roped off MacLaren area just involved me saying "Sir, I'd like to check out the Maserati's" before they unclipped the rope and shepherded me in.
Anyone with a name tag that just had a name on it was a BMW car show-specific person, not an employee of any dealership, and were the only people allowed to make the call to unlock a car. The rest of the people were employees from BMW dealerships all around the area. There were only a few of us Otto's people around, so no need to think less of us

For McLaren/Maserati, that area is run by RDS (McLaren Phila., Maserati Main Line, and Porsche Main Line), who are in my experience all really cool people, so I'm not too surprised!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 03:18 PM   #238
JTO24
never could compete with Lloyd Braun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttosBMWBrian View Post
Anyone with a name tag that just had a name on it was a BMW car show-specific person, not an employee of any dealership, and were the only people allowed to make the call to unlock a car. The rest of the people were employees from BMW dealerships all around the area. There were only a few of us Otto's people around, so no need to think less of us

For McLaren/Maserati, that area is run by RDS (McLaren Phila., Maserati Main Line, and Porsche Main Line), who are in my experience all really cool people, so I'm not too surprised!
Yup my experience with Porsche of the main line was awesome! Went once to test drive a cpo 997 a few years back and they were very accommodating even being as young as I am.. Real chill group.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 03:27 PM   #239
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep

Ottos did me wrong a year ago, and they have done me right since. Long story - short version is they've earned the right to continue to have my business. I won't think less of them for car show stuff; just joking

I haven't visited McLaren in West Chester, which is very close to me, but I've driven a vehicle at Main Line Porsche and was very pleasantly surprised at how accommodating they were.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 03:31 PM   #240
PABrian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA View Post
Ottos did me wrong a year ago, and they have done me right since. Long story - short version is they've earned the right to continue to have my business. I won't think less of them for car show stuff; just joking

I haven't visited McLaren in West Chester, which is very close to me, but I've driven a vehicle at Main Line Porsche and was very pleasantly surprised at how accommodating they were.
Fair enough

Definitely head over to McLaren. I've been there a few times and every time I've encountered very cool employees who were willing to entertain whatever questions I had or just let me check out what they have. Their pre-owned inventory is sometimes more impressive than their new cars...
Appreciate 0