Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3 / M4 Photos and Videos

08-11-2012, 05:11 PM   #89
yujiyunes
MSEE, BSEE
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i 6MT

Nice billboard on Ron Barcelo at the end of the video, one of the best rum ever! Made in the Dominican Republic. I wish they sell it here in the states...
      08-11-2012, 05:39 PM   #90
wisesoul
Savoir Faire
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

M3 has gone from I-4 to I-6 to I-6 to V8 and now back to an I-6. Not seeing the sacrilege here. Sure its FI, but knowing BMW's M division, they'll find a way to make this car deliver its power linearly. It's no secret that the S65 is one of BMWs best sounding engines, but we are just going to be embracing a different sound. Fwiw, this car reminds me of a flat 6 Porsche, very throaty. For every one complaining about the sound, I guess you guys will have to either deal with it or look at other cars lol. I'm expecting this car to be the most visceral in its class
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 08:48 PM   #91
Ohh_5H1T
Captain
Rep
Drives: Backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE-FN-MAN View Post
Car just isn't doing it for me
+1 on that. I don't feel like the new BMW bodies are looking aggressive enough. None of the new M's look as mean as the previous. They got way too conservative. Blah
      08-12-2012, 08:55 PM   #92
Ohh_5H1T
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisesoul View Post
It doesn't sound like an M car blah blah. Not much you can do with an I6 with turbos. It doesn't need to sound like an "M" car, it needs to drive like one. The 1M coupe is a great example of this. Doesn't need to be NA or have 8 cylinders to be special. I know BMW won't spoil the M3 name, at least I hope
They're already off to a bad start with the M6 Some of us are proud to have a non eco-friendly V8 under the hood. So far the looks/sound of the new M3 don't thrill me. Looks like i'll just be ESS'ing my V8 and keeping my e92 instead of upgrading. But hey, we'll wait and see what happens when the actual car is out.

SC-V8 > TT-V6
at least IMO
      08-12-2012, 09:33 PM   #93
Tacoma
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMWs for 30 yrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3alabama View Post
This continues to get people into an arguement which in my view makes no sense. People talk about how sound is not primarly what matters and its the performance of the car that matters. However they do not have to be one or the other! AMG case in point, e60 m5, e90 m3 etc. It is one of those things that I wish they would put more time and effort into for this M car as the m5 is quite disapointing and to be honest with a turbo V8, it does not have to sound as bland as it does.

I think this board attracts a lot of hardcore M3 guys who track and drag but the fact is the VAST majority of us do not track or drag but like to FEEL like an F1 driver to an extent on our day to day drives. Most of us guys long to be in the seat of an F1 car in fantasy and if we can make our daily drives have a little taste of that, then to me that is what the m3 is about for 90 percent of the buyers.

A HUGE, if not the biggest part of this experience is the sound of a car. That is the most aural factor a car provides as the sound sets off so many sensations in our body and mind, adding to the experience. The delivery of power is a close second which is why 8400 is so desirable. It may not be better than low torque, but it sure FEELS better to know you are revving a street engine to an rpm level that just shouldn't be possible.

To 90 percent the m3 is about more than its performance-its an experience. This is what tuned 335 guys don't get. I will concede day and night a tuned 335 kills the m3 in flat out speed and acceleration. I could care less because when I get behind the wheel of my m3, with high flow cats and a huge open intake leading out from the hood-looking at the tach go to 9k and listening to the exotic, raspy scream at 8400, while shifting with the most advanced dual clutch tranny-its an experience that goes way beyond being 4/10's of a second slower to 60 or whatever it may be.

Thus the "experience" is what is dying off in these cars , not the performance. The purists will likely phase out and new buyers who had never experienced older m cars will be phased in. What you never knew, you don't miss-and this is how the M brand will continue to grow, while most of us who are passionate about the high revving screaming experience will go elsewhere, even if it is used for some. I am fortunate financially to have my pick of cars, and the m3 was that good that I wanted it regardless of price. (not talking about buying a lambo or ferrari) but outside that a new porsche gt3 is what a lot of us purists will move over to in my view-those who can afford it anyway.

But M will live on and be strong by selling to a new breed of naive M owners
This sounds like an "I miss the good ole days" speech! But like someone above already noted, the M3 has gone from I-4 to I-6 to I-6 to V8 and now back to an I-6. So what are the naive "new buyers" missing from "older M cars" that they never knew? Also, the F80 isn't even out yet and you can't really tell true sound from a "spy" video, so this is really over-dramatization.

If sound experience is paramount, then save the money and buy the 335 M-Sport and add aftermarket parts (I'm talking legit ones like Dinan) such as exhaust and other sound enhancing parts and you can get even better sound than any M3 of years past. Heck, I have a friend who's a total gearhead, drives and tracks an enhanced Cadillac CTS-V and the sound it makes will make a GT3 sound absolutely demure by comparison!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 01:26 AM   #94
Prince_of_Persia
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 6MT E92 M3

Quote:
This continues to get people into an arguement which in my view makes no sense. People talk about how sound is not primarly what matters and its the performance of the car that matters. However they do not have to be one or the other! AMG case in point, e60 m5, e90 m3 etc. It is one of those things that I wish they would put more time and effort into for this M car as the m5 is quite disapointing and to be honest with a turbo V8, it does not have to sound as bland as it does.

I think this board attracts a lot of hardcore M3 guys who track and drag but the fact is the VAST majority of us do not track or drag but like to FEEL like an F1 driver to an extent on our day to day drives. Most of us guys long to be in the seat of an F1 car in fantasy and if we can make our daily drives have a little taste of that, then to me that is what the m3 is about for 90 percent of the buyers.

A HUGE, if not the biggest part of this experience is the sound of a car. That is the most aural factor a car provides as the sound sets off so many sensations in our body and mind, adding to the experience. The delivery of power is a close second which is why 8400 is so desirable. It may not be better than low torque, but it sure FEELS better to know you are revving a street engine to an rpm level that just shouldn't be possible.

To 90 percent the m3 is about more than its performance-its an experience. This is what tuned 335 guys don't get. I will concede day and night a tuned 335 kills the m3 in flat out speed and acceleration. I could care less because when I get behind the wheel of my m3, with high flow cats and a huge open intake leading out from the hood-looking at the tach go to 9k and listening to the exotic, raspy scream at 8400, while shifting with the most advanced dual clutch tranny-its an experience that goes way beyond being 4/10's of a second slower to 60 or whatever it may be.

Thus the "experience" is what is dying off in these cars , not the performance. The purists will likely phase out and new buyers who had never experienced older m cars will be phased in. What you never knew, you don't miss-and this is how the M brand will continue to grow, while most of us who are passionate about the high revving screaming experience will go elsewhere, even if it is used for some. I am fortunate financially to have my pick of cars, and the m3 was that good that I wanted it regardless of price. (not talking about buying a lambo or ferrari) but outside that a new porsche gt3 is what a lot of us purists will move over to in my view-those who can afford it anyway.

+1
This is the opinion of most current M3 owners. I can see that people that never have owned an M car are happy in this thread.

AW|FR 6MT E92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 09:12 AM   #95
US///M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1973 Jensen Interceptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohh_5H1T View Post
+1 on that. I don't feel like the new BMW bodies are looking aggressive enough. None of the new M's look as mean as the previous. They got way too conservative. Blah
An E46 M3 owner made that very same argument about the E92 M3 right before it was introduced. Another one made the point of how special the last NA I6 M3 will be to collectors,today you can get a used E46 M3 for about $15k.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 09:15 PM   #96
zuggerat
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma
Quote:

This sounds like an "I miss the good ole days" speech! But like someone above already noted, the M3 has gone from I-4 to I-6 to I-6 to V8 and now back to an I-6. So what are the naive "new buyers" missing from "older M cars" that they never knew? Also, the F80 isn't even out yet and you can't really tell true sound from a "spy" video, so this is really over-dramatization.

If sound experience is paramount, then save the money and buy the 335 M-Sport and add aftermarket parts (I'm talking legit ones like Dinan) such as exhaust and other sound enhancing parts and you can get even better sound than any M3 of years past. Heck, I have a friend who's a total gearhead, drives and tracks an enhanced Cadillac CTS-V and the sound it makes will make a GT3 sound absolutely demure by comparison!
Am I the only one that thinks the inline 6 on the F80 sounds good? I've listened to the track video a few times and what I hear sounds similar to the S54.

Maybe I'm the only one who missed the S54 when the S65 came out, but I'm glad we're back in the realm of the inline 6. Hopefully the car will live up to its older brethren.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 09:59 PM   #97
Ohh_5H1T
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by US///M3 View Post
An E46 M3 owner made that very same argument about the E92 M3 right before it was introduced. Another one made the point of how special the last NA I6 M3 will be to collectors,today you can get a used E46 M3 for about $15k.
I hear you... but idk i guess we'll all have to wait and see! all im saying is so far, no Good! (with the new M6 and M5 which MOST people are stating they're not happy with what these newer updates have to offer as supposed to the previous in regards to feeling like an M vehicle) So if they go the same route with the new M3 then there will be plenty of disappointments. but we'll see!
      08-14-2012, 09:43 AM   #98
US///M3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I hear you... but idk i guess we'll all have to wait and see! all im saying is so far, no Good! (with the new M6 and M5 which MOST people are stating they're not happy with what these newer updates have to offer as supposed to the previous in regards to feeling like an M vehicle) So if they go the same route with the new M3 then there will be plenty of disappointments. but we'll see!
Well,the 5 series used to be the benchmark in its class,not anymore.the current M5 is heavier than the car it replaces.

The F30 is still the benchmark by a long shot, the F80/82 unlike the F10 M5 is going to be lighter and wider than the car it replaces.

Just because the F10 and F10 M5 are no longer the class benchmark, you cant assume the same of the F30/82.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 09:15 PM   #99
Ohh_5H1T
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Well,the 5 series used to be the benchmark in its class,not anymore.the current M5 is heavier than the car it replaces.

The F30 is still the benchmark by a long shot, the F80/82 unlike the F10 M5 is going to be lighter and wider than the car it replaces.

Just because the F10 and F10 M5 are no longer the class benchmark, you cant assume the same of the F30/82.
We wont trully know till the actual car is out. So one can only assume. There's a 50/50 chance the way i see it. We shall seeeeeee
      08-15-2012, 09:01 AM   #100
US///M3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
We wont trully know till the actual car is out. So one can only assume. There's a 50/50 chance the way i see it. We shall seeeeeee
Well,you're the one who started with the assumptions based on the new M6.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 09:26 AM   #101
Ohh_5H1T
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Well,you're the one who started with the assumptions based on the new M6.
I sure am not the only one making this assumption. Look around. Theres probably more negative assumptions than positive ones in these forums. Just saying!
      08-15-2012, 11:17 AM   #102
US///M3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I sure am not the only one making this assumption. Look around. Theres probably more negative assumptions than positive ones in these forums. Just saying!
Well if you gonna make your assumption based on the new M6,it doesnt really make sense because unlike the new M6,the F80/82 will be lighter,with a wider track,wider tires,more horsepower and torque,better suspension,better weight distribution than the E90/92 M3,the above changes tend to make a car handle and perform better...not exactly the M6 evolution.

You cant based your prediction on how great the next M3 will be, based on the current M6. A better predictor will be the car it ll be based on,the F30.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 11:58 AM   #103
Ohh_5H1T
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Well if you gonna make your assumption based on the new M6,it doesnt really make sense because unlike the new M6,the F80/82 will be lighter,with a wider track,wider tires,more horsepower and torque,better suspension,better weight distribution than the E90/92 M3,the above changes tend to make a car handle and perform better...not exactly the M6 evolution.

You cant based your prediction on how great the next M3 will be, based on the current M6. A better predictor will be the car it ll be based on,the F30.
You should do marketing for BMW! lol You make good points. I don't doubt the new one will come with improvements... but will they be significant enough to make it worth the upgrade... It's really all about opinion at the end of the day... take me for example, i got my e92 for about half the original MSRP... i can easily spend an additional 15k on a SC and some additional components and be at around the 600hp figure and i would STILL be way below the cost of the new M3 With exceptional performance/styling And to top it off, i like the current body better than what i've seen so far in the spy photos/renders... the styling is a bit more conservative IMO on the future M3. But who knows, maybe the new package will make it all worth considering. We'll have to wait and see.