R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

09-13-2017, 04:53 PM   #859
MRCUR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Model 3 Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdherman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCUR View Post
Your car was certainly significantly out of date prior to the update.
I agree. That's what made the Service Advisor's comments (from the tech) so puzzling.

Is the download profile to USB method an accurate way to determine what version of firmware you have? If so, then I should be updated given the version it showed.
Yes, that?s the method I?ve always used and it lines up with changes I expected after updates were applied.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 06:38 PM   #860
two+2
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP Grey Black

Hopefully this is not hijacking the thread. I recently brought my 17 ZCP in to do some warranty work which the SA told me will require a full update to "all" systems.

Work complete and i'm noticing a few quirks, especially with the iDrive unit. It seems slower, even laggy when jumping from various menus Maps -> Media for example.

Prior to the update, when in Navigation and I touch the trackpad, the screen auto jumps to an interactive map. this has now gone away and I have to go into a submenu to get interactive map. - is this a setting/user issue?

Anyone else have this experience?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 01:15 AM   #861
BJJfrog
Rep
Drives: '15 M3 LCI AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by two+2 View Post
Anyone else have this experience?
No, my iDrive works great.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 07:40 PM   #862
ImGoingPlaces
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: AMG GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverstar335 View Post
I dont know how accurate my observation is but I want to say the "bucking" problems with the DCT are gone with the 3.60.4 update. Does anybody else have a similar assessment?
can you elaborate on what you mean by "bucking" bc im experiencing some jerkiness in first gear and its starting to get on my nerves
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 07:43 PM   #863
ImGoingPlaces
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

I was at the service center last month to get the BMW assist account transferred into my name and while i was there i asked if the software needed to be updated, they advised me that it was in fact old and if i wanted the update i would have to pay. i was surprised and declined. Ive had a few weeks to drive the car since and become more familiar with its characteristics and as i mentioned above, im feeling a very noticeable jerkiness in first gear, im not sure if the car is simply too powerful or im not finessing the throttle enough, often times in sport + it jerks violently 2 or 3 times before smoothing itself out. Will a software update fix this?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 07:45 PM   #864
Super Spartan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 Nissan Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImGoingPlaces View Post
I was at the service center last month to get the BMW assist account transferred into my name and while i was there i asked if the software needed to be updated, they advised me that it was in fact old and if i wanted the update i would have to pay. i was surprised and declined. Ive had a few weeks to drive the car since and become more familiar with its characteristics and as i mentioned above, im feeling a very noticeable jerkiness in first gear, im not sure if the car is simply too powerful or im not finessing the throttle enough, often times in sport + it jerks violently 2 or 3 times before smoothing itself out. Will a software update fix this?
no software fill fix it. I have the latest DME update and it's the same.

What you have to do is rather than slowly press the gas pedal in first gear, which will in turn give you that jerkiness, be more firm with the gas pedal, as in push it harder THEN modulate. If you go too soft it will jerk like crazy
LUX H8 189 Angel Eyes

2023 Nissan Z Performance (Ikazuchi Yellow)
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 07:47 PM   #865
ImGoingPlaces
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snappy Phoenix View Post

What you have to do is rather than slowly press the gas pedal in first gear, which will in turn give you that jerkiness, be more firm with the gas pedal, as in push it harder THEN modulate. If you go too soft it will jerk like crazy
im going to try this. thanks for this quick reply
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 11:15 AM   #866
georgere
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 BSM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snappy Phoenix View Post

im going to try this. thanks for this quick reply
I don't experience the same jerkiness in my16 m3. But yeah, just have fun in it and it will become less noticeable and more fun. This car want to be pushed....
      11-07-2017, 02:37 PM   #867
ImGoingPlaces
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgere View Post
I don't experience the same jerkiness in my16 m3. But yeah, just have fun in it and it will become less noticeable and more fun. This car want to be pushed....
tried it today, a bit more on the throttle and its smoothing out. gotta get more used to it
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 02:44 PM   #868
georgere
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 BSM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgere View Post
tried it today, a bit more on the throttle and its smoothing out. gotta get more used to it
Also not sure if this applies to dct or f80 generation in general but in e90 the car would keep your driving style and try to keep you happy. This was related to throttle response and tranny response/shifting times etc. There was a way to reset it by pushing the gas pedal down while in park or something. I am not sure but it might be worth seeing if our cars do the same. Once reset it is supposed to keep you happy according to your new driving style. I think you might do some research....
      11-09-2017, 03:12 AM   #869
daigorho
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 316i Sport

Is it too risky to update mine which is F020-13-07-502 (2013!) to the latest one (2017) in 1 go?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2017, 10:28 AM   #870
jdherman
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

I don't see how it could be an issue. BMW controls all the changes and they would know if there would be any issues in an upgrade like you'd have. Plus, if there were truly massive differences then the general population of BMW owners would be aware of it, instead of us geeks.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2017, 03:47 PM   #871
Super Spartan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 Nissan Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by daigorho View Post
Is it too risky to update mine which is F020-13-07-502 (2013!) to the latest one (2017) in 1 go?
nope
LUX H8 189 Angel Eyes

2023 Nissan Z Performance (Ikazuchi Yellow)
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2017, 08:59 PM   #872
VDBimmer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: YMB F82

My SA wouldn't even update the firmware for me, he claimed "you must have the check engine light on for us to do it for free"...

Anyone know what I need to say exactly to get this done?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2017, 09:01 PM   #873
MRCUR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDBimmer View Post
My SA wouldn't even update the firmware for me, he claimed "you must have the check engine light on for us to do it for free"...

Anyone know what I need to say exactly to get this done?
You need to have a legitimate issue for the upgrade to be covered under warranty. It takes a significant amount of time to complete so they're not going to do it for free.

If you really want it done, pay for the time.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2017, 10:59 PM   #874
VDBimmer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: YMB F82

Quote:
You need to have a legitimate issue for the upgrade to be covered under warranty. It takes a significant amount of time to complete so they're not going to do it for free.

Understandable, do you mind sharing how much they charged you for the update?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 06:30 AM   #875
MRCUR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDBimmer View Post
Quote:

Understandable, do you mind sharing how much they charged you for the update?

thanks
I believe it was around $200.
Appreciate 1
VDBimmer132.50
      11-14-2017, 06:33 AM   #876
Art__Vandelay
Lieutenant Colonel
Croatia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 xDrive

My dealer said he doesn't recommend it if it isn't necessary. Sure, if I pay they'll do it, but he said there is no guarantee that everything will work after the update, so it's the customer's risk in case they have to fix it again.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 10:03 AM   #877
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croatian test driver View Post
My dealer said he doesn't recommend it if it isn't necessary. Sure, if I pay they'll do it, but he said there is no guarantee that everything will work after the update, so it's the customer's risk in case they have to fix it again.
This is exactly what my BMW service dealership told me as well. And you know they wouldn't likely turn down the revenue if this were not the case. Think of iPhone updates, patches or updates are not always seamlessly integrated.
      11-14-2017, 05:36 PM   #878
MRCUR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sorry but that doesn't make any sense. If they perform the update and something doesn't work, then that part gets fixed. Software updates are a regular part of troubleshooting for many issues - it's not like BMW says never update the cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2017, 11:43 AM   #879
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F85 X5M

Quote:
Change your dealer asap! Lol

ISTA won't update a specific module if the hardware is too old.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 01:25 PM   #880
rk604
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 - Black Sapphire

Same response from my BMW dealer. Got it updated in the end and paid for it ($240CAD).

Version shows F020-17-11-540.
Appreciate 0