ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

10-03-2017, 04:59 PM   #23
Sassicaia
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: SMB F80 6MT

I thought my F80 had really shiity gas mileage at first because it was supposed to be the same as my 2002 330i, but I could never get the same. I then realized is was 100% me and how I drove the car. In efficient mode with reasonable RPMs its the same
Appreciate 2
DBACE689.00
CanAutM321115.00
      10-04-2017, 08:19 AM   #24
jstnstr
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 M340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing View Post

I'm probably just a little too fat and need to loose a few pounds... Since I'm American, I can admit that may never happen so I'm looking for a solution.
I'd start off with a nice nightly Crestor and then follow that up with a juicy Metformin.
Let?s add in a little lisinopril or metoprolol too. Metabolic syndrome...

| Previous: 18 M3 ZCP | 17 M3 6MT | 15 M235i |
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 08:54 AM   #25
SteveSpy
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBACE View Post
All too often I have not been properly informed of all the nuances of my F80/M3. I either thought something should work a certain way, or had no clue as to how something worked on the car, because of my common failure of not reading about the operation and functionality in the owners manual. A couple of items that come to mind for me is Adaptive Headlights, and windshield wiper operation.

When I first noticed my cornering lighting would not work when I initiated the turn signal, or turned at slower speeds, I was pretty sure there was something wrong. There was...... the idiot behind the wheel took the lights out of Adaptive Mode.

When I first realized I wanted to move the wipers out of the way to clean the entire winshield, I was pretty sure the engineering department at BMW had left something out. Nope, it was me again. I finally read about how to properly position the wipers in the full vertical position, where it was possible to move the arms off of the windshield.

What story can you share of a similar nature where you were sure something wasn't working right on your F80/F82 and turned out to be a detail you missed?

I gotta go, I need to check the oil and I will be damned if I can't find the dip stick in the engine compartment.
Noise when braking. It's just the way the brakes are made.
DBACE689.00
      10-04-2017, 09:05 AM   #26
radiofrequency
Field Marshall
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 ZCP, 2021 M2 Comp

Yup, the wipers got me too, initially, when washing the car, I would just lift them up and clean underneath until I RTFM....
Appreciate 1
DBACE689.00
      10-04-2017, 09:11 AM   #27
OF Hero
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80!

Not something that I thought was wrong...but what is the purpose of that scooped out area in front of the driver's dash? edit: duh, HUD projector

Last edited by OF Hero; 10-04-2017 at 09:16 AM..
Appreciate 1
DBACE689.00
      10-04-2017, 01:23 PM   #28
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing View Post
My cholesterol is fine and I?m not diabetic but thanks for your concern.
for now ... but winter's coming ...
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 04:26 PM   #29
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
What tires do you recommend?
If I kept the car longer I would have gone to nt01 in 305 rear width

I had re11 in stock rear width and it was not even close to enough.

Pretty awesome problem to have when 275 wide re11 can be broken lose in 2nd gear in stock form!!
Appreciate 2
CanAutM321115.00
hellokitty2895.50
      10-08-2017, 08:21 AM   #30
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBACE View Post
All too often I have not been properly informed of all the nuances of my F80/M3. I either thought something should work a certain way, or had no clue as to how something worked on the car, because of my common failure of not reading about the operation and functionality in the owners manual. A couple of items that come to mind for me is Adaptive Headlights, and windshield wiper operation.

When I first noticed my cornering lighting would not work when I initiated the turn signal, or turned at slower speeds, I was pretty sure there was something wrong. There was...... the idiot behind the wheel took the lights out of Adaptive Mode.

When I first realized I wanted to move the wipers out of the way to clean the entire winshield, I was pretty sure the engineering department at BMW had left something out. Nope, it was me again. I finally read about how to properly position the wipers in the full vertical position, where it was possible to move the arms off of the windshield.

What story can you share of a similar nature where you were sure something wasn't working right on your F80/F82 and turned out to be a detail you missed?

I gotta go, I need to check the oil and I will be damned if I can't find the dip stick in the engine compartment.
are you referring to adaptive high-beams?
      10-08-2017, 09:43 AM   #31
neilum
Captain
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4

Thought the car had too much power but it was just me being a dumbass and not realizing it just needs 295 wide rear tires...

Completely different experience now
Appreciate 1
DBACE689.00
      10-18-2017, 11:47 AM   #32
DBACE
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 LCI

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [10.00]
2005 CBR1000RR  [10.00]
1995 ST1100  [9.00]
2009 Camry Hybrid  [0.00]
Cool The Dash Rattle Started - No it DIdn't

Well I started to hear the infamous rattling somewhere in the middle of the dash the other night.

I thought, I guess its true, I did not want to believe it. It took almost two years before I had the experience though. At the same time, I learned that I do not like rattling sounds coming from the dash board. I could not for the life of me pinpoint the source, it almost seemed to be jumping around.

I encouraged my wife last night to listen and experience this maddening sound, in hopes she could help me pin-point it. It was quite distinct as I drove over undulations, fluctuations, bumps, and other unsmooth surface areas in the road. I told her she needed to get her hearing checked, because I certainly could hear it. She gave me the look..

I then learned with the greatest of satisfaction the source of this extremely vexing sound, it was...........the friggin sun visor, on the driver's side, that was not quite snapped into place. I could not believe it! I swear the sound was bouncing from one area to another, so much so I was sure it was multiple places within the dash making the sound.

Another "Doh!" moment for DBACE thinking something was wrong with the car, but in this case, fortunately, it was just me. .
      10-18-2017, 01:19 PM   #33
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Temperature wheel that appears to be carried forward from the 1980's was set to red instead of blue. I thought there was something wrong with the AC but it turned out to just be an unnecessary setting made via a plastic wheel that was accidentally changed when car was getting cleaned.
Is that what that thing is?!?!?! OMG.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 01:21 PM   #34
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinonz View Post
It's to provide warmer/cooler air to the footwell as opposed to the air vents.
I still do not understand. It is still larely dependent on the thermostat, correct?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 02:34 PM   #35
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiebones View Post
Quote:
I still do not understand. It is still larely dependent on the thermostat, correct?
No it's purpose is to make the vent air temp independent from the set temp. A good example is if you have the heat on because it's a cold day but you want cooler air to blow from the vents to keep you awake when driving.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 03:43 PM   #36
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiebones View Post
Quote:
It doesn't make any sense to me. I live where it is hot. I have the AC on all the time. I want the air to blow out of the vents in whatever temp is needed to get to the temp set in climate control as soon as possible and then maintain it. I have never seen anything like it in another car with climate control.

That said, some people seem to really like being able to have warm air coming out of the vents when it is hot and cool air coming out of the vents when it is cold. I don't. So I just keep it all the way on blue.
      10-18-2017, 05:08 PM   #37
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
It doesn't make any sense to me. I live where it is hot. I have the AC on all the time. I want the air to blow out of the vents in whatever temp is needed to get to the temp set in climate control as soon as possible and then maintain it. I have never seen anything like it in another car with climate control.

That said, some people seem to really like being able to have warm air coming out of the vents when it is hot and cool air coming out of the vents when it is cold. I don't. So I just keep it all the way on blue.
Yeah - it's not really a feature applicable to hot weather. It's more applicable to cold weather climates - imagine walking through snow in sneakers to get in your car (remember this is in all BMWs, not just Ms) - your feet will be cold as hell and possibly damp. You can turn up the heat to warm your feet up and dry them faster, and turn that wheel all the way to the blue end so the hot air blowing on your hands/face isn't quite so hot. Just allows a bit of variation as to what blows on your feet as opposed to your face.
Appreciate 0