ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

07-14-2014, 01:47 PM   #1
(H)
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 (after F10 M5 ;-)

F80/82 at ///M School in Spartanburg?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Dear All,

I will be attending ///M school in Spartanburg next week and was wondering if they already have the F80/82? Since they have been shipped to dealers, I would assume that yes. Has anybody been there lately? Any other intel? Thank you.

Best,
#H

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 01:53 PM   #2
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by (H) View Post
Dear All,

I will be attending ///M school in Spartanburg next week and was wondering if they already have the F80/82? Since they have been shipped to dealers, I would assume that yes. Has anybody been there lately? Any other intel? Thank you.

Best,
#H
They have them. They are parked in the back, but I don't know if the E9x has been phased out yet.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 02:00 PM   #3
Never Convicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

I think I remember that someone here either went to M School or took PCD a month or two ago. One of the instructors told him the F8X's would be added in Aug/Sep? I can't swear to it, but might be worth a search for you. He saw a few of them there, had pics.

Hope they do have them. That would make a great day even better for you. Have fun!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 02:30 PM   #4
MpowerLex
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by (H)
Dear All,

Best,
#H
They are there, I saw pics of them gassing them up. When you doing your PCD? I am doing mine on the 22nd! Can't sleep a night!!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 02:31 PM   #5
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

I dont have inside information (but could check with the director of the events if really necessary) but my guess is they wont have them for awhile. I know as of today they aren't using the F82s, but I bet it wont be long.

The Sept time frame seems logical but I dont have any hard information on that. Usually they like to market which cars are used and I'd expect they do the same when the new F82s are used. They made a big deal out of the new M6/M5 when they started using those when the 1Ms were discontinued about 2 years ago.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 02:41 PM   #6
Audio Fan
Major
Rep
Drives: AY - M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdizzle View Post
I dont have inside information (but could check with the director of the events if really necessary) but my guess is they wont have them for awhile. I know as of today they aren't using the F82s, but I bet it wont be long.

The Sept time frame seems logical but I dont have any hard information on that. Usually they like to market which cars are used and I'd expect they do the same when the new F82s are used. They made a big deal out of the new M6/M5 when they started using those when the 1Ms were discontinued about 2 years ago.
How do you know that they are not there? I was under the impression that they were. I hope they are there or will be soon, as I'm going to pick up an M4 on the 30th at PDC.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 02:42 PM   #7
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Fan View Post
How do you know that they are not there? I was under the impression that they were. I hope they are there or will be soon, as I'm going to pick up an M4 on the 30th at PDC.
I'm sorry I shouldve quantified. I think they may have a couple there, but I meant say that they arent being used for the class yet. That's as of a few weeks ago though.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 09:10 PM   #8
(H)
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpowerLex View Post
They are there, I saw pics of them gassing them up. When you doing your PCD? I am doing mine on the 22nd! Can't sleep a night!!
Not doing PCD ;-( currently still fighting to get my F10 M5 back from water damage (see over in the M5 board)
I am just doing the ///M school for the fun of it. But can't sleep a night either on that one alone :-)

Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 11:10 AM   #9
bdkinnh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4

Please update the thread when you find out if they're using the M4; I'm scheduled for the 9/4 - 9/5 class, and 90% of the reason I'm doing it is for the M4.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 12:04 PM   #10
pseto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP, F80 M3 ZCP- beater

yes, the new m3/m4 are both at the PC and waiting for you

Become a BMW CCA member; Click HERE to join and use my member #339225 for a referral
Join our NCC Facebook Page
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 12:06 PM   #11
Zeroblade
Explodes on impact
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Mazda3

They're definitely using the F8x.

Last week I went to a BMW Car Control Clinic where one of the Lead BMW instructors said they love the F8x. They admit the miss the sound of the V8 from the E9x but growing to like the F8x a lot very quickly.

Like someone said though may not mean they phased out the E9x. I would at least assume they use them together.

*work in progress*
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 12:10 PM   #12
bdkinnh
Private First Class
Rep

Awesome - thanks for the update! Looking forward to the class.

I've done it before, so I know what to expect; I'm doing it again to get some seat time in an M4 to decide if I want to buy one. It's going to be either that or a 435i to replace my E60.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 12:42 PM   #13
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkinnh View Post
Awesome - thanks for the update! Looking forward to the class.

I've done it before, so I know what to expect; I'm doing it again to get some seat time in an M4 to decide if I want to buy one. It's going to be either that or a 435i to replace my E60.
Great class, you'll love it. I did it last year.

I hope, for your sake, they start using the F82s, but I wouldn't get my hopes up just in case they dont.

For what they have you in the M3 in, it does fine (drifting and a couple other things) I spent most of my time in the M5/M6 it seemed but had the most fun in the smaller M3 (although the M5 time trials in a couple small courses like the figure 8 on a wet track and the one where you try to see how fast you can do a portion of the track and stop inside the box was a blast because the car should not be able to do what it can given it's size). The F8x should be even more fun with the extra torque but being a reasonably sized track car still. I preferred the engines and interior of the M5/M6 (duh) but the M3 was my fav solely due to the smaller size, it felt more at home on a track for me.

/flame suit on : My fav exhaust notes were the turbo V8s over the NA V8 so take that as you want while I hide from the E9x exhaust lovers.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 04:11 PM   #14
(H)
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I just touched down in Charlotte (got rerouted by lovely United from GSP ;-( chopper for me next time for sure!

I will definitely post first thing as soon as I get the hard evidence tomorrow.

I am soooooooo excited!!!

Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 07:52 AM   #15
pseto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseto View Post
yes, the new m3/m4 are both at the PC and waiting for you
correction: this past weekend, only the new m3 was used. not sure why the m4 wasn't available (but its there), but the m235i was used in its place. hopefully, the m4 will be operational when you arrive

Become a BMW CCA member; Click HERE to join and use my member #339225 for a referral
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 10:38 AM   #16
modkrazy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Are they still using the old M3s? I haven't had a chance to do the performance driving school yet, and I'm curious about what they could teach me about my car.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 11:44 AM   #17
bdkinnh
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseto View Post
correction: this past weekend, only the new m3 was used. not sure why the m4 wasn't available (but its there), but the m235i was used in its place. hopefully, the m4 will be operational when you arrive
It would be a bummer if I couldn't use the M4, but the M235i would be fun. At least the new M3 was there... close enough to the M4 to make a purchase decision.

If I'm not able to drive either one of the new Ms I'll be a sad panda.

Really hoping there is a sakhir orange there too - none of the other colors do it for me.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 03:36 PM   #18
pseto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by modkrazy View Post
Are they still using the old M3s? I haven't had a chance to do the performance driving school yet, and I'm curious about what they could teach me about my car.
e90/e92 M3s are long gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkinnh View Post
It would be a bummer if I couldn't use the M4, but the M235i would be fun. At least the new M3 was there... close enough to the M4 to make a purchase decision.

If I'm not able to drive either one of the new Ms I'll be a sad panda.

Really hoping there is a sakhir orange there too - none of the other colors do it for me.
You'll be fine something will be available, but I don't remember any SO in the lineup.

Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 06:50 PM   #19
(H)
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Ok, here is the update: After day one of the ///M school I can officially state that the Spartanburg facility has plenty of F8x standing around. I heard them mentioning their use on some instances.

BUT: They are definitely not part yet of the ///M school. We were only using E92s today and we were assured that there is no way that we will even get to see any of the F8x driving let alone drive one ourselves.

Absolute bummer as I was really rally looking forward to giving this car a good test drive. But ///M school of course is still awesome.

Should anything unforeseen happen tomorrow regarding the F8x, I will certainly let you know.

Even with very persistent inquiring, I couldn't even get an answer as to when they would be able to start using the F8x for ///M school. The reasoning was that they simply don't have enough yet that are past the 1200 mile mark and equipped for school (camera setup etc)

Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 07:31 PM   #20
modkrazy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Glad to hear e92s are still there, gonna have to squeeze the trip in this year.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 07:40 PM   #21
04RC51
Large Member
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F82 M4

Quote:
BUT: They are definitely not part yet of the ///M school. We were only using E92s today and we were assured that there is no way that we will even get to see any of the F8x driving let alone drive one ourselves.

Absolute bummer as I was really rally looking forward to giving this car a good test drive. But ///M school of course is still awesome.
Bummer to go all the way there and only get to drive the E9x's. At least you're having a good time though.
      07-24-2014, 07:42 PM   #22
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ok, here is the update: After day one of the ///M school I can officially state that the Spartanburg facility has plenty of F8x standing around. I heard them mentioning their use on some instances.

Should anything unforeseen happen tomorrow regarding the F8x, I will certainly let you know.

Even with very persistent inquiring, I couldn't even get an answer as to when they would be able to start using the F8x for ///M school. The reasoning was that they simply don't have enough yet that are past the 1200 mile mark and equipped for school (camera setup etc)
That's what I thought would be the case. Too bad though. Hopefully they'll begin using them in the fall or spring.
Appreciate 0