European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

02-16-2017, 07:38 AM   #1
jrodrg
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: none yet

Arrow Should I get a 2018 M3 Individual?

Worth trading in my 15 M3 for a 2018 ZCP M3 and going individual color?

I wasn't concerned that my car didn't get the LCI tails but regret not going individual color and not holding out for the competition pkg. 1st world problems.
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2017, 12:47 PM   #2
BimmerBahn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5, 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
2017 BMW M3  [9.50]
Only you can answer that. It's completely subjective.

Are the MY18 and CP updates worth it to you?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2017, 01:37 PM   #3
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrodrg View Post

I wasn't concerned that my car didn't get the LCI tails but regret not going individual color and not holding out for the competition pkg. 1st world problems.
Thinking of trading my base 2016 for a 2018 ZCP as well. Looking into what I would lose financially on the lease.
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2017, 02:45 PM   #4
ssuene93
Major
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: '16 F80

You can always find someone to assume your existing lease. However, it would be a hold back if you have put MSD that you would lose it when your lease was taken over. You might need to do more negotiation on that with potential buyer. Good Luck!
2009 E93 335i (ED June 2009) - Retired
2008 E60 535i (ED March 2008) - Retired
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 09:39 AM   #5
Seniorleb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 SO M4 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiebones View Post
Thinking of trading my base 2016 for a 2018 ZCP as well. Looking into what I would lose financially on the lease.
Good it seems I am not the only one who is thinking to do that. The LCI is tempting but with the money a lot of M performance parts could be installed
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 10:08 AM   #6
jjrandorin
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435 & 2016 X5D

Quote:
Depends on how you go about it. If you get someone to assume your lease, ad dont have MSDs in the deal, then it wont cost you much at all.

If you have MSDs in the deal, you would have to try to negotiate with the person assuming your lease paying you those up front to get them back at the end. Not unheard of, but much more complicated to get someone to shell out the money up front.

If you just take it to the dealer and want them to take it from you, they would be taking it as a TRADE IN, not a lease return. At that point, it depends on if you put money down (cap cost reduction, not drive offs) in the deal, which most dont do. It depends on what the dealer values your car, vs its payoff.

Since the first 2 years of a BMWs life have the largest amount of depreciation, it is HIGHLY unlikely your car is worth what is owed on it at this particular time.

You are probably looking at a 4-7k loss, depending on whether your 2016 model was leased in the end of 2015 (so you are 1 to 1.5 years into the lease), or in the middle of last year (so are less than 1 year in).

Your options are really either lose the money (4-7k), or advertise your car for a lease swap / lease takeover. Most of the lease takeover advertisements I see tend to be from people who got poor deals trying to get out of them. They are not ALL that way, but a large portion of them were when I looked into it.

You could even sweeten the lease takeover add with additional monies (for example if you DID MSDs and have 5k in MSDs in there, you could ask for only 2.5k of them back.. effectively giving the new lease takover person 2.5k additional (and making their monthly payment effectively that much lower).

you lose 2.5k in that scenario, but thats less than you would lose on a trade in of a newly leased car (significantly less, likely).

Is getting the LCI bits worth losing somewhere between 2k and 7k for you, or can you wait it out for a couple of years (knowing that they will still be making M3s then, so its just putting off your instant gratification for a couple of years)?

Only you can answer that. On the one hand, it doesnt make much financial sense, unless you can do a lease takeover and dont lose much on that... but on the other hand, the reason we all work is to be able to afford the things we want, and "you only live once".

I would wait, but if you decide not to, that doesnt mean your silly.. it just means that for where you are in your life, its the right choice for you.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 10:35 AM   #7
Seniorleb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 SO M4 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrandorin View Post
Depends on how you go about it. If you get someone to assume your lease, ad dont have MSDs in the deal, then it wont cost you much at all.

If you have MSDs in the deal, you would have to try to negotiate with the person assuming your lease paying you those up front to get them back at the end. Not unheard of, but much more complicated to get someone to shell out the money up front.

If you just take it to the dealer and want them to take it from you, they would be taking it as a TRADE IN, not a lease return. At that point, it depends on if you put money down (cap cost reduction, not drive offs) in the deal, which most dont do. It depends on what the dealer values your car, vs its payoff.

Since the first 2 years of a BMWs life have the largest amount of depreciation, it is HIGHLY unlikely your car is worth what is owed on it at this particular time.

You are probably looking at a 4-7k loss, depending on whether your 2016 model was leased in the end of 2015 (so you are 1 to 1.5 years into the lease), or in the middle of last year (so are less than 1 year in).

Your options are really either lose the money (4-7k), or advertise your car for a lease swap / lease takeover. Most of the lease takeover advertisements I see tend to be from people who got poor deals trying to get out of them. They are not ALL that way, but a large portion of them were when I looked into it.

You could even sweeten the lease takeover add with additional monies (for example if you DID MSDs and have 5k in MSDs in there, you could ask for only 2.5k of them back.. effectively giving the new lease takover person 2.5k additional (and making their monthly payment effectively that much lower).

you lose 2.5k in that scenario, but thats less than you would lose on a trade in of a newly leased car (significantly less, likely).

Is getting the LCI bits worth losing somewhere between 2k and 7k for you, or can you wait it out for a couple of years (knowing that they will still be making M3s then, so its just putting off your instant gratification for a couple of years)?

Only you can answer that. On the one hand, it doesnt make much financial sense, unless you can do a lease takeover and dont lose much on that... but on the other hand, the reason we all work is to be able to afford the things we want, and "you only live once".

I would wait, but if you decide not to, that doesnt mean your silly.. it just means that for where you are in your life, its the right choice for you.
I like your details a lot but you forgotten to mention the depreciation price after the facelift that's additional 5% to 10% where I live
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 10:47 AM   #8
jjrandorin
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435 & 2016 X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seniorleb View Post
I like your details a lot but you forgotten to mention the depreciation price after the facelift that's additional 5% to 10% where I live
Depreciation price only really matters if you own, not lease. I was commenting on Frankiebones who mentioned lease.

if you own, there is going to be additional depreciation on your current car when the new one comes out, sure. We can estimate it by what has happened previously, and it sounds like in your area you are estimating it at 5-10%.

If you own the car, you have to consider that depreciation which will be a lot right when the new one comes out, but lessen a bit as time goes on.

In your case, if you own the car and dont lease, almost anyone you would be selling the car to (dealer, or private party) will also know about the upcoming depreciation hit, so will offer you an appropriate price now for it (meaning it will already be factored in if you go to trade the car in now... so wont likely see an immediate drop in price when the new one comes out because its likely already priced in at a dealer).

A private party may or may not price it in, but anyone looking to buy an M3 will likely know there is a new one coming this year, so... yeah your depreciation because of the new model has already happened (in my opinion).
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2017, 11:27 AM   #9
Rick955
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:

Me too... lease ending in early 2018 and I'm also looking to do individual and ZCP. Some above already have a 2016 which got LCI and even ZCP so I would not upgrade from a 16 in those circumstances, but you and I have 15's and there was no ZCP or LCI making the upgrade worthwhile for us. I'm just curious about the 2019's. M3 is supposed to end production in 2018 so I'm really curious about what will happen for the 2019 model year. I could hold out a few months and get in on one of the first 2019 allocations too... but who knows what's in store for the '19 model?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 08:30 AM   #10
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrandorin View Post

I appreciate your detailed response. The LCI is not nearly as important as the ZCP to me.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 09:59 AM   #11
4everkidd
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 AY M3

Quote:
I appreciate your detailed response. The LCI is not nearly as important as the ZCP to me.
LCI tails can be picked up for $600-900

KW Clubsports / equivalent for ~$2500 used

Piggyback / Flash tune $500-1500

666 Wheels $2500-3000

So for roughly 6g you will have a faster car that handles better than a ZCP not to mention the fact that upon sale you will recover 75% of those costs by selling the upgraded items
Appreciate 1
      02-27-2017, 10:03 AM   #12
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everkidd View Post

666 Wheels $2500-3000

So for roughly 6g you will have a faster car that handles better than a ZCP not to mention the fact that upon sale you will recover 75% of those costs by selling the upgraded items
Wont get him the individual color tho.
Appreciate 1
      02-27-2017, 04:05 PM   #13
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Wont get him the individual color tho.
And none of it gets me what a really want....an intact warranty.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 04:56 PM   #14
CPWINCH
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota Prius

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everkidd View Post

666 Wheels $2500-3000

This is the way to go in my opinion

Quote:

If you do all of that sans the tune you will keep your warranty. Cosmetic and suspension mods have never been a real problem for warranty issues. Its mainly the tunes and powertrain mods. Individual color would be awesome though
      02-27-2017, 05:05 PM   #15
4everkidd
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 AY M3

Quote:
Just discussing options; you did ask remember.

I completely understand the warranty concern. As mentioned you can usually get away with everything on that list with exception of the tune.
Appreciate 1
      02-27-2017, 11:45 PM   #16
mephiska
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Garage List
Just something to think about. Enjoy what you have now, with your intact warranty. This all sounds like the "grass is always greener" type of scenario. Yeah ZCP is nice, but it's not end all, and other than the fancy (overpriced and harsh riding) wheels and seats that delete lumbar support, what do you really gain here? 19 negligible HP, a burbling exhaust and external parts that can be obtained "painted" for a few hundred less?

Ignore the whole ZCP aspect of this and think solely about the individual part. If you love this car and want to keep it for 6, 7, 8+ years, then by all means go for it, get it in the color that you love every time you look at it, and get the individual leather color that you have always wanted. But all these responses so far are ZCP based, and imho the comp pack upgrade is overblown.

Personally I love my "civic" M3 and plan to keep it for many years to come. I've never been more content with a vehicle and look forward to driving this beast every morning on my commute.
      02-28-2017, 05:36 AM   #17
k332814
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1995 E36 M3 and more

Quote:

Why not?

I have a cash paid loaded 2015 Mineral Grey M4 35k miles that to this day gets daily woots and thumbs ups from random people. I absolutely LOVE that car and still will go for drive for no reason other than going out for a drive.. I can buy any car I want to. Any Car. The M4 suits me.

In November I ordered a new one- Ind Tanzanite over Cohiba loaded w/comp pack because.. why not.

The longer you wait, the longer it is until you get it.

I love the 'old one' but im sure Ill love the new one more.

New one is on the boat and only days left before delivery after months of waiting.
Appreciate 1
iamwingman1203.50