Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Southwest

11-29-2016, 03:31 PM   #1
scottemad
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '17 TZB F80 ZCP

Clearbra in Austin?

Just wondering who everyone has used in Austin for a paint protection film and how pleased they were with the results? The plan for the car is full hood, front end, mirrors, roof, fenders, and extended on the rear arches with probably a coating to go along with it. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 10:33 PM   #2
INNOVATE_1
EL MERO MERO
Mexico
Rep
Drives: Nissan GTR - BMW E46 M3

Coating film is a waste of your money just FYI..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 08:34 AM   #3
Fahrvergnügen
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: geo metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by INNOVATE_1 View Post
Coating film is a waste of your money just FYI..
Agree... I've tried 22ple, Opti-coat, and CQuartz. I could never tell the difference or what the value they bring. You still end up washing your car. My friend is an installer and says the same thing. Don't waste $1k on them.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 08:50 AM   #4
scottemad
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahrvergnügen View Post
Agree... I've tried 22ple, Opti-coat, and CQuartz. I could never tell the difference or what the value they bring. You still end up washing your car. My friend is an installer and says the same thing. Don't waste $1k on them.

Ok, but installer recommendations for xpel or similar films?

And I know you still wash the car that isn't why I would like to get the car coated, its more just an extra layer of protection before I would need to do paint correcting at home more than anything.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 08:59 AM   #5
Fahrvergnügen
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: geo metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottemad View Post
Ok, but installer recommendations for xpel or similar films?

And I know you still wash the car that isn't why I would like to get the car coated, its more just an extra layer of protection before I would need to do paint correcting at home more than anything.
Those coating won't protect much if anything at all. It may give your car a different kind of shine for a few months but that will wear off. The person doing your clear bra should detail/paint correct your car before the clear bra. If they do it right you should have a layer of wax to protect against future paint corrections.

I detail my own cars and once your car's paint is corrected once, it shouldn't need correcting again for awhile if properly maintained. Wash, clay/decontaminate, glaze, paint sealant, and wax is the detail process I use twice a year. Every 2-3 weeks I wash and spray wax.

As for films, Suntek and Xpel are best and most will tell you the same. 3M has kind of fallen off in terms of quality/technology. I've always used Xpel and worked fine. It's more the quality of the install than the film itself. I know Xpel is based out of San Antonio with corporate installation centers in Houston, San Antonio and Austin... might check there first.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 09:22 AM   #6
scottemad
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahrvergnügen View Post
Those coating won't protect much if anything at all. It may give your car a different kind of shine for a few months but that will wear off. The person doing your clear bra should detail/paint correct your car before the clear bra. If they do it right you should have a layer of wax to protect against future paint corrections.

I detail my own cars and once your car's paint is corrected once, it shouldn't need correcting again for awhile if properly maintained. Wash, clay/decontaminate, glaze, paint sealant, and wax is the detail process I use twice a year. Every 2-3 weeks I wash and spray wax.

As for films, Suntek and Xpel are best and most will tell you the same. 3M has kind of fallen off in terms of quality/technology. I've always used Xpel and worked fine. It's more the quality of the install than the film itself. I know Xpel is based out of San Antonio with corporate installation centers in Houston, San Antonio and Austin... might check there first.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 09:54 AM   #7
INNOVATE_1
EL MERO MERO
Mexico
Rep
Drives: Nissan GTR - BMW E46 M3

We carry Suntek PPF-C here at our shop.

Lonestar Tint in San Antonio. You're more than welcome to make the drive down . As far as Austin dealers/installers, unfortunately I could not make a recommendation but I am sure there are more than a handful of qualified shops.
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2016, 10:42 AM   #8
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Just wondering who everyone has used in Austin for a paint protection film and how pleased they were with the results? The plan for the car is full hood, front end, mirrors, roof, fenders, and extended on the rear arches with probably a coating to go along with it. Thanks!
I had my clear bra done by Sun Tint on Koenig Ln. They did a great job. I had them wrap all edges so there are no seams. This was 2.5 years ago and it still looks great!! They also did my window tint. They were recommended by the dealer.
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 1
      12-03-2016, 05:27 PM   #9
wcw
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 F80 ZCP full Cohiba

Quote:
Scott, XPEL has a corporate garage in Austin. http://www.austinclearbra.com/
You can't beat XPEL's 10 year warranty nor the thickness. It's thicker than Suntek and therefore will better protect against road debris. Something to keep in mind is as the film is stretched in areas such as the bumper, it is even thinner.

I agree with the other comments about ceramic coatings. They make your paint surface like teflon in a pan, but they're predominantly for keeping your car clean and adding a lustrous shine. If that's what you're after then get it, but if you want to protect against road debris (rocks etc) then PPF is the only way to go. OR you could go old sKooL and buy a black vinyl bra.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 05:44 PM   #10
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcw View Post
OR you could go old sKooL and buy a black vinyl bra.
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 06:13 PM   #11
scottemad
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcw View Post
Scott, XPEL has a corporate garage in Austin. http://www.austinclearbra.com/
You can't beat XPEL's 10 year warranty nor the thickness. It's thicker than Suntek and therefore will better protect against road debris. Something to keep in mind is as the film is stretched in areas such as the bumper, it is even thinner.

I agree with the other comments about ceramic coatings. They make your paint surface like teflon in a pan, but they're predominantly for keeping your car clean and adding a lustrous shine. If that's what you're after then get it, but if you want to protect against road debris (rocks etc) then PPF is the only way to go. OR you could go old sKooL and buy a black vinyl bra.
Lol and add even more scratches
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2016, 07:50 PM   #12
Nadeemp8
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottemad
hey there, I'm going to get my car done at Xpel in Austin that WCW quoted here in a few weeks. after a Spirited weekend drive I came back home to all sorts of carnage on my front bumper, and no kind of coating outside of a clear bra would have helped against the gravel thrown at the front of my car. I've also got a good contact in the area manager for xpel that is hooking me up with a good discount, if you're interested let me know and I can pm you details!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2016, 08:40 AM   #13
scottemad
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadeemp8 View Post
hey there, I'm going to get my car done at Xpel in Austin that WCW quoted here in a few weeks. after a Spirited weekend drive I came back home to all sorts of carnage on my front bumper, and no kind of coating outside of a clear bra would have helped against the gravel thrown at the front of my car. I've also got a good contact in the area manager for xpel that is hooking me up with a good discount, if you're interested let me know and I can pm you details!
I appreciate it, but car is already back from XPEL in Austin.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2016, 12:34 PM   #14
Nadeemp8
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5C

Quote:
I appreciate it, but car is already back from XPEL in Austin.
Oh nice, how'd it go and what kind of application did you go with (full, partial, etc.)?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 10:58 AM   #15
scottemad
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadeemp8 View Post
Oh nice, how'd it go and what kind of application did you go with (full, partial, etc.)?
Full frontal with extra bits (full hood, full roof, rockers, and custom pieces on the rear fender flares). After finally getting some more time to go through the car I'm actually not very happy with it at all, there are some issues with some scratches under the film (car was delivered with 85 odd miles on it to them), some bad corners, and they stained the seat in the rear while tinting. For the price I'm super unhappy with the results.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 05:35 PM   #16
wcw
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 F80 ZCP full Cohiba

Quote:
Full frontal with extra bits (full hood, full roof, rockers, and custom pieces on the rear fender flares). After finally getting some more time to go through the car I'm actually not very happy with it at all, there are some issues with some scratches under the film (car was delivered with 85 odd miles on it to them), some bad corners, and they stained the seat in the rear while tinting. For the price I'm super unhappy with the results.
XPEL Austin is a Corporate Owned Store and attached to Corporate Headquarters in San Antonio. I know they will make things right and hopefully turn things around to make for a better customer experience. Please PM me and I can facilitate getting you all fixed up. I know the Regional Manager over Texas will be there on Tuesday of next week, maybe we can schedule a time for you to stop in