R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

01-26-2017, 10:57 AM   #1
supra93
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4, E500, Supra, RX7

New Pagani Huayra Roadster Teased Before Geneva Debut

Quote:
Ever since Pagani replaced the Zonda with the new Huayra back in 2012, we've been anticipating the release of the convertible version. And we'll have to wait a bit longer, but not by much.

The exotic automaker has released two teaser images previewing the upcoming Huayra Roadster – one showing very little and the other quite a lot – along with the revelation that it will be unveiling the drop-top supercar at the 2017 Geneva Motor Show.

The basic parameters ought to be fairly straightforward. Take one Huayra coupe, chop the top off, and presto! A Huayra Roadster. Of course the engineering work undertaken by the team in Modena won't be that simple, and there will be certain unknowns.

Will the Huayra Roadster employ a folding fabric roof (like most convertibles), a collapsible hardtop (like the Ferrari 488 Spider), or a removable solid roof panel (like the Bugatti Veyron Grand Sport)? The Zonda Roadster employed the latter, so that's where the smart money would be.

Roof types aside, will the Roadster adopt specifications closer to the base Huayra or the more extreme Huayra BC? We're going to venture the latter again, but if not, it could leave the door open for a BC Roadster in the future as well. (For what it's worth, the lower grille aperture in the second teaser looks slightly different from either previous version.)

We'll find out sooner or later, depending on how you'd describe a wait of three months. The Palexpo in Geneva opens its doors to the press on March 7.
http://www.carscoops.com/2017/01/pag...ew-huayra.html

Pagani Releases Latest Huayra Roadster Teaser Before Geneva Debut

Quote:
In the lead up to the Geneva Motor Show in March, Pagani has released a new teaser image of the upcoming Huayra Roadster.

Although it is hard to pinpoint just what part of the car is revealed, it does show an engraved 'Roadster' emblem on a component finished in a beautiful shade of gold.

Although Pagani is bound to release more teaser images in the coming weeks, we already know what the droptop Huayra will look like, thanks to numerous spy shots and the release of an official rendering.

Among the most obvious visual changes will be a new diffuser, prominent rear buttresses and aerodynamic flics above the taillights.

As with the coupe, power will continue to come from a twin-turbocharged 6.0-liter V12 AMG engine but power is expected to rise by approximately 20 hp, lifting power to around 750 hp. Despite the extra strengthening set to be employed to ensure the Huayra Roadster remains exceptionally rigid, Horacio Pagani revealed in early 2015 that the car will actually be lighter than its hardtop sibling.
http://www.carscoops.com/2017/01/pag...-roadster.html

Pagani Teaser Hints At Upgraded AMG V12 For Upcoming Huayra Roadster

Quote:
Bugatti makes its own engines. So does Koenigsegg – not to mention Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, and McLaren (albeit not always without help from their parent companies). But not Pagani.

Horacio's Modense outfit sources its powertrain from Mercedes-AMG. Always has. And that, as we can see, is destined to continue with the forthcoming launch of the Huayra Roadster.

Pictured in this latest teaser is a close-up on the open-top supercar's engine, which looks similar (but not identical) to those already fitted to the original Huayra and the subsequent Huayra BC. The cooling fins atop the cylinder head cover are shaped differently, which tells us... precisely nothing, other than that it won't be lifted straight from one model and into the other. At least, that is, not without some modification.

Where the previous Zonda was powered by a naturally aspirated twelve-cylinder engine of increasing displacement (from 6.0 to 7.3 liters over the course of its lifetime), the Huayra packs a 6.0-liter twin-turbo V12 – both sourced from Daimler's high-performance engine workshop in Affalterbach. The latter's output increased from 720 horsepower to over 750 in BC spec, and could stand to kick out even more for the Roadster. Maybe as much as 800 hp or more, but we're just spit-balling here.

“As we moved forward with the Roadster,” said Horacio Pagani, “we decided to give her a bit more of an edge in order to create a slightly more aggressive shape than the Huayra Coupé.” That sounds promising, and we're looking forward to finding out more as the Roadster's debut approaches at the 2017 Geneva Motor Show just two months from now.
http://www.carscoops.com/2017/01/pag...d-amg-v12.html
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 11:51 AM   #2
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

I've always considered -- and still consider -- any Pagani to be the most obscene, overwrought, self-important, contrived, egotistical vehicle ever cleared to operate on public roads. Even above the Veyron -- in fact, far and away more than the Veyron. That Pagani uses someone else's motor to power its cars only reinforces that feeling in me, because it's not a true supercar on the level of a Bugatti, Koenigsegg, Ferrari, Porsche, etc.

There's no denying the attention to detail, the highest-of-the-high-quality parts, and the performance. But it's an ultrabaked kit car. And, to my aesthetic, it's one of the ugliest. The snobbery involved in making them only makes them uglier -- and that I deal with holier-than-thou artsy fashion types every day and am saying this should speak volumes about my attitude toward Horatio and his cars. (At least Brunello Cucinelli, for instance, is a nice guy. Horacio's been an elitist ass in every place and situation I've seen him in).

YMMV. If I were gifted one of these, I'd sell it immediately.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 12:09 PM   #3
imserious
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 MR

These cars look super exotic, but when is he going to make a new car, not just a new edition? Hasn't this car been around for a long time already? Who cares about a new new special edition with more carbon fiber and even more boost?...
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 01:20 PM   #4
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by imserious View Post
These cars look super exotic, but when is he going to make a new car, not just a new edition? Hasn't this car been around for a long time already? Who cares about a new new special edition with more carbon fiber and even more boost?...
Unfortunately, his clientele does -- and unfortunately, Horacio doesn't have to make a new car.

Pagani is basically the Chanel of vehicles. And if you know what I know about that design house, well ... you might have my attitude toward it, too.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 01:46 PM   #5
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
I've always considered -- and still consider -- any Pagani to be the most obscene, overwrought, self-important, contrived, egotistical vehicle ever cleared to operate on public roads. Even above the Veyron -- in fact, far and away more than the Veyron. That Pagani uses someone else's motor to power its cars only reinforces that feeling in me, because it's not a true supercar on the level of a Bugatti, Koenigsegg, Ferrari, Porsche, etc.

There's no denying the attention to detail, the highest-of-the-high-quality parts, and the performance. But it's an ultrabaked kit car. And, to my aesthetic, it's one of the ugliest. The snobbery involved in making them only makes them uglier -- and that I deal with holier-than-thou artsy fashion types every day and am saying this should speak volumes about my attitude toward Horatio and his cars. (At least Brunello Cucinelli, for instance, is a nice guy. Horacio's been an elitist ass in every place and situation I've seen him in).

There there... I also want one and can't afford it, we'll be ok.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 08:09 PM   #6
8k4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92

Uglier than sin, no innovation, regurgitation
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 10:15 PM   #7
supra93
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4, E500, Supra, RX7

Pagani Huayra Roadster Looks Killer In New Images

http://www.carscoops.com/2017/01/pag...killer-in.html

Pagani's Forthcoming Huayra Roadster Zooms Into View

http://www.carscoops.com/2017/01/pag...-roadster.html

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2017, 08:13 AM   #8
48Laws
Banned
Rep
Drives: '15 F80, '18 991.2 GTS

Quote:

Seems like you like bringing attention to yourself by sounding fake deep. Have a seat. Horacio personifies what it means to be a bespoke hypercar mad scientist. I know the level of detail intimidates most. It should be over the top! The Pagani is what all boutiques should inspire to be. Who hates on an AMG engine? Oh...you hate the Audi engine in Lambos, too? SMFH
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2017, 09:23 AM   #9
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Uh, Lamborghini had the V10 before they were acquired by VW. And clearly their V12 has nothing to do with the dumb W12 of Audi/VW.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2017, 09:36 AM   #10
48Laws
Banned
Rep

We can all undermine the value of a hypercar by who builds or doesn't build its components if we want. The R8 and Huracan share the same power plant. But AMG builds bespoke engines for Pagani. I don't see how any of that relates to it being remotely a kit car.
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2017, 10:00 AM   #11
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Laws View Post
Seems like you like bringing attention to yourself by sounding fake deep. Have a seat. Horacio personifies what it means to be a bespoke hypercar mad scientist. I know the level of detail intimidates most. It should be over the top! The Pagani is what all boutiques should inspire to be. Who hates on an AMG engine? Oh...you hate the Audi engine in Lambos, too? SMFH
Actually, I do hate that Audi engines are in Lambos. Thing is, it makes sense because parent company.

Dude ... you have no idea what I know. Don't assume. Horacio knows who he's creating his cars for, and he's empowered by those people and those people only. It's the basic definition of elitism. I simply don't subscribe to his exclusive, misrepresentational approach. He alienates everyone but his paying customers. I've known artists, chefs, fashion designers, writers, musicians, and more who are the same way -- and in pretty much every case they've been miserable people.

Paganis are kit cars. Bottom line.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2017, 10:15 AM   #12
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Here's a little kit car that's 1,384.2x cooler.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2017, 10:20 AM   #13
48Laws
Banned
Rep

You conjectured about Pagani and left out all sorts of content. Where is it? Kit cars are essentially built by the owner purchased from a third party. Horacio builds bespoke Hypercars for customers. That's your first error. Secondly, how can one speak of elitism while discussing cars north of $500,000? This entire industry personifies elitism. That's the point! Do you have a problem with companies like Ferrari only selling to those who previously owned one? That too is elitism. You have like 12 men building Paganis but You have a robot building an M6, for example, and that sells for $170k! Elitism yet massed produced...Oy Vey!
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2017, 11:31 AM   #14
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Saw a red Huayra on the way in to work this morning. What a beauty. The first one I saw was raw carbon (chronicled extensively here). I don't care what anyone says, these cars are works of art in the same way that Figoni et Filaschi cars are. Rare, handmade, exotic, & stunning.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2017, 03:50 PM   #15
991GT3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ford Raptor

Quote:

Are you kidding? A Zonda R went around the 'ring faster than a P1, 918, or La Ferrari. And a Huayra holds the Top Gear lap record.

-2016 Macan Turbo(GF vehicle)
-2017 Ford Raptor
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2017, 04:12 PM   #16
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 991GT3 View Post
Are you kidding? A Zonda R went around the 'ring faster than a P1, 918, or La Ferrari. And a Huayra holds the Top Gear lap record.
I'm not disputing how fast a Pagani is. Nor am I disputing how well constructed one is, or the engineering involved. I'm disputing the garishness and 'completeness' of the car, and the fundamental aims and attitudes of its designer and maker.

I'll back off the 'kit car' statement, if only to allow that other great cars are made with others' engines. Lotus is a great example. As for Red Bread 's post regarding the McLaren F1: if I recall correctly, McLaren tested Honda, Chevy, and even an Isuzu engine in prototypes before settling on a BMW powerplant for the first run -- and it destroyed the prototypes primarily to avoid the F1 being pigeonholed as a kit car.

48Laws : Correct: Paganis are bespoke. That's one reason the term 'kit car' fits -- and plenty of 'kit cars' are/were also manufactured as turnkeys. The AC Cobra is a great example. As for the price tag: also correct, but there's a big, big difference between couture to advance the craft and couture to please your clients. It could certainly be argued that the Zonda did the former. All Paganis since have not.

Last edited by Viffermike; 01-27-2017 at 04:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2017, 04:21 PM   #17
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Vanquish, FF, 392 Wrangler

Quote:
I'm not disputing how fast a Pagani is. Nor am I disputing how well constructed one is, or the engineering involved. I'm disputing the garishness and 'completeness' of the car, and the fundamental aims and attitudes of its designer and maker.

I'll back off the 'kit car' statement, if only to allow that other great cars are made with others' engines. Lotus is a great example. As for Red Bread 's post regarding the McLaren F1: if I recall correctly, McLaren tested Honda, Chevy, and even an Isuzu engine in prototypes before settling on a BMW powerplant for the first run -- and it destroyed the prototypes primarily to avoid the F1 being pigeonholed as a kit car.

48Laws : Correct: Paganis are bespoke. That's one reason the term 'kit car' fits -- and plenty of 'kit cars' are also manufactured as turnkeys. The AC Cobra is a great example. As for the price tag: also correct, but there's a big, big difference between couture to advance the craft and couture to please your clients. It could certainly be argued that the Zonda did the former. All Paganis since have not.
What are you, a hypercar hipster? You'd sell it immediately if it were gifted to you? JFC.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2017, 04:35 PM   #18
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Haha, hypercar hipster. I assume the biggest club is in Dubai?
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      01-27-2017, 04:40 PM   #19
48Laws
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 991GT3 View Post
Leave facts out of this!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2017, 04:57 PM   #20
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoldenz View Post
What are you, a hypercar hipster? You'd sell it immediately if it were gifted to you? JFC.
Yes, I'd sell it immediately. JHC&AHD (Jesus H. Christ and All His Disciples).

Nope: not a hipster. I'm just not appreciative of something that exists solely to massage some of the largest egos on the planet. Horacio proved his talent and mettle with the Zonda. Move on and advance the craft. Everyone else in the hypercar world has.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2017, 07:44 PM   #21
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Vanquish, FF, 392 Wrangler

Quote:
Yes, I'd sell it immediately. JHC&AHD (Jesus H. Christ and All His Disciples).

Nope: not a hipster. I'm just not appreciative of something that exists solely to massage some of the largest egos on the planet. Horacio proved his talent and mettle with the Zonda. Move on and advance the craft. Everyone else in the hypercar world has.
What kind of dbag sells a $2 million gift?

I'm sure Mr. Horacio cares a lot about your opinion of him. He'll probably go cry into some pillows stuffed with $100 bills. So sad.
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2017, 01:29 AM   #22
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

Unless Pagani manufacturers its own engine not outsourcing from a renowned German Manufacturer ,I never take them as a serious car manufacturer such as Lamborghini,Ferrari ,Porsche and other manufacturers . They're just fancy exotic cars with stealth high end composite materials .
My take on Pagani is like a watch producer, not manufacturer, who relies on ETA , Sellita Movements far away from in house movement to sell them public with high end prices