BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

02-09-2017, 09:59 PM   #1
ctgalloinsb
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Apple CarPlay music takes over??

I have a MY17 with CarPlay and there's an annoying glitch happening--sometimes when I turn the car on in the morning apple music will begin to stream from the day before but if I switch to the radio or satellite, after 2 seconds it will flip back to CarPlay. In fact, I cannot get it to stop flipping back until i power off the phone.

This happen to anyone else? Any solve?

tx
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2017, 11:24 PM   #2
gimmethemuumuu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F80 M3, SO/Bk

I too have a 2017 M3. However, I don't have Apple CarPlay. Nonetheless, my car has, a number of times in the last few days, started Pandora after I have plugged the phone in upon initial startup of the car. Funny thing is, I haven't been running Pandora at all lately. It sounds like this experience mirrors yours somewhat, yes/no?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 02:54 PM   #3
vp
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY18 430GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimmethemuumuu View Post
I too have a 2017 M3. However, I don't have Apple CarPlay. Nonetheless, my car has, a number of times in the last few days, started Pandora after I have plugged the phone in upon initial startup of the car. Funny thing is, I haven't been running Pandora at all lately. It sounds like this experience mirrors yours somewhat, yes/no?
It starts Pandora due to the Connected App which initialized all BMW compatible apps
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 07:50 PM   #4
gimmethemuumuu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F80 M3, SO/Bk

Quote:
Originally Posted by vp View Post
It starts Pandora due to the Connected App which initialized all BMW compatible apps
So, you're saying my particular issue is a known issue with ConnectedDrive and/or the Pandora app?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 07:52 PM   #5
vp
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY18 430GC

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vp View Post
So, you're saying my particular issue is a known issue with ConnectedDrive and/or the Pandora app?
I'm not sure if it's an issue or intended but it has been doing that for the last two versions. I have Spotify, pandora, M Lap timer and all these apps launch when I plug in my phone to the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 09:46 PM   #6
Racer35
Tombarra Stalker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP, Mineral Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctgalloinsb View Post
I have a MY17 with CarPlay and there's an annoying glitch happening--sometimes when I turn the car on in the morning apple music will begin to stream from the day before but if I switch to the radio or satellite, after 2 seconds it will flip back to CarPlay. In fact, I cannot get it to stop flipping back until i power off the phone.

tx
Mine has done this a few times as well. Haven't been able to see a pattern yet...
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 06:21 PM   #7
Ajar
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Same exact problem. When it glitches like this, I usually give up and just listen to car play. I can't find any pattern to what causes their behavior either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctgalloinsb View Post

tx
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 06:54 PM   #8
lukej
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 Comp,

I don't have CarPlay,, but mine will do the same thing the next day I get in the car it seems it likes to try take over where I left off the day before I'm not sure if that's the case.

Question does anybody know how to call up iTunes music list from the voice command,, can't seem to have mine come up I have to go select it manually....???? What's the command ??

2. I’m not an (EXPERT) I’m just here with an opinion. So
don’t hate me. (lukej)
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 08:44 PM   #9
Fake News 2017
HMFIC
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White M4 ZCP

Quote:
This (Pandora) happened to me once just last week
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 03:26 PM   #10
Theeleventhreel
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Lexus

Mine does the same. I use Spotify for streaming but everytime my phone pairs with the car it will start playing music I have purchased on iTunes. It does this in my wife's car and my former car as well. Really annoying
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 09:49 AM   #11
PhilH
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i, 2017 X1

This glitch happens way too often in my 2017 M3. It seems to consistently happen whenever the screen on the iPhone is on. If the screen is black / off, then it doesn't seem to happen.

It's making me wonder if I want to deactivate Apple Carplay. The only thing I really appreciate about Carplay at this point is the text message feature. If I can get that through regular BMW iDrive, then I might disable Carplay. I'm still learning how to use the whole iDrive 5.0 system (and have an appointment with my dealer's Genius next week for additional training), but Carplay obviously has a glitch that hopefully will be fixed by either Apple or BMW.
      02-24-2017, 04:51 AM   #12
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
I also have a MY17 with ID5 and CarPlay but have not seen this glitch with my iPhone 6s. Admittedly, I don't use those music apps much (I have Pandora, iHeart Radio and Slacker installed on my phone) and to date, I have never directly connected my phone to the car via a lightning cable (if I need to charge my phone I charge it wirelessly in the car). When playing around a bit with these apps in the car, specifically Pandora, I noticed two things:

1. If I left Pandora selected in the car when I turned off the car, when I returned to the car, it would default back to playing Pandora, when the phone reconnected to the car, even if the Pandora app was not open on my phone.

2. If the Pandora app was running on my phone prior to starting my car, as soon as I started my car, the car would switch to Pandora after the phone connected to my car (I didn't consider this a glitch though).

Although it still could be a legitimate glitch, it could also be one of these deeply hidden configuration options that iOS is know for. In this case, it would be an option that governs how the phone responds when it is re-connected to the car ....??

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 08:07 AM   #13
PhilH
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i, 2017 X1

When Apple Carplay decides to launch itself on my car, it generally starts playing music from my phone through bluetooth. Last night I was listening to music on my iPod in the USB drive and my wife picked up my phone from the console and turned on the phone screen. Carplay popped up and starting playing music from my phone.