Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA

02-15-2017, 02:04 PM   #1
RowanBuds
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 3 pedal 718, G05, MkVII GTI

Carboteq - CCB Rotor measuring device - any around in NJ?

Hey all,

Hoping someone can point me to a shop that has the carboteq electronic CCB rotor measuring device. Would like to get an estimate of where my rotor life is at, without having to remove rotors and disassemble to weigh.

If the great guys at ACM have one, my bad, I should've just asked you guys when I'm in on Monday.

Thanks!

Le Mans Blue F80 - Munich 5-22-2015 / US 7-7-2015 / SOLD 9-17-2022
ED Recap
Arctic Grey G05 - Spartanburg 8-29-2019
X5 PCD Recap
Appreciate 1
      02-15-2017, 04:34 PM   #2
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BSM/SO M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowanBuds View Post
Hey all,

Hoping someone can point me to a shop that has the carboteq electronic CCB rotor measuring device. Would like to get an estimate of where my rotor life is at, without having to remove rotors and disassemble to weigh.

If the great guys at ACM have one, my bad, I should've just asked you guys when I'm in on Monday.

Thanks!
+1

Hey Man! I'm in for this measurement if you find a place that does it.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2017, 07:11 AM   #3
jeff@autocouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: 2002 E53 X5 4.6is

Quote:
Hey all,

Thanks!
Awwwww Shucks!!! my heart is warmed by this
we do not have this unicorn tool you speak of BUTTTTT

if we know min and maximum rotor spec we can measure to see where you are currently at.

Did you pull the trigger on the re-71r's?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2017, 07:20 AM   #4
RowanBuds
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff@autocouture
Quote:
Hey all,

Thanks!

if we know min and maximum rotor spec we can measure to see where you are currently at.

Yessir! Will be in the shop bright and early Monday morning.

ED Recap
X5 PCD Recap
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2017, 08:24 AM   #5
SMOKE EM IF U GOT EM!!
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06' E90 330, 20' F97 X3m

Garage List
2006 330i SPORT  [7.34]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff@autocouture View Post

Quote:
Hey all,

Thanks!

Do the ccbs get measured w a micrometer or some sorts or weighed for material loss? I was under the impression the weight stamping on the rotor is what they determine min spec with.

LIVE FAST..DRIVE FASTER!!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 07:21 AM   #6
RowanBuds
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKE EM IF U GOT EM!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff@autocouture View Post

Quote:
Hey all,

Thanks!

Do the ccbs get measured w a micrometer or some sorts or weighed for material loss? I was under the impression the weight stamping on the rotor is what they determine min spec with.
They can be weighed but from what I'm seeing even that is suspect due to debris on face or in drilled holes that can effect the measurement. Add to that the margin for error is very small as the wear allowance is said to range anywhere from 160-200 grams. Not much room to play with if you pick up 4 nickels weight worth of road junk.

In addition the carboteq can give a reading without having to remove the rotor from the car. The ccbs have three marking points on them, with reference values imprinted, that are used to calibrate the carboteq. As far as I can tell the carboteq instrument will be the most accurate in measuring rotor lifespan.

ED Recap
X5 PCD Recap
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 07:30 AM   #7
jeff@autocouture
Rep

Quote:
They can be weighed but from what I'm seeing even that is suspect due to debris on face or in drilled holes that can effect the measurement. Add to that the margin for error is very small as the wear allowance is said to range anywhere from 160-200 grams. Not much room to play with if you pick up 4 nickels weight worth of road junk.

In addition the carboteq can give a reading without having to remove the rotor from the car. The ccbs have three marking points on them, with reference values imprinted, that are used to calibrate the carboteq. As far as I can tell the carboteq instrument will be the most accurate in measuring rotor lifespan.
I measure the CCB by licking the face of the rotor and rubbing the saucy side of the pad on my belly and chest, Generally speaking if the rotor tastes like a dirty penny you have plenty of life left, If i keel over and die you need a new rotor. In regards to the pad, to be honest, i just like the way if feels...
Appreciate 1
RowanBuds1707.00
      02-20-2017, 10:59 AM   #8
RowanBuds
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff@autocouture
Quote:

I measure the CCB by licking the face of the rotor and rubbing the saucy side of the pad on my belly and chest, Generally speaking if the rotor tastes like a dirty penny you have plenty of life left, If i keel over and die you need a new rotor. In regards to the pad, to be honest, i just like the way if feels...
Well check that out for me then Jeff, using only the best proprietary method as outlined here. You're likely to have more than enough time with the car. *sidenote, 2 4mg morphine shots later and I'm still conversational, lucid, and feeling pain. No Bueno.

ED Recap
X5 PCD Recap
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 07:53 AM   #9
jeff@autocouture
Rep

Quote:
Well check that out for me then Jeff, using only the best proprietary method as outlined here. You're likely to have more than enough time with the car. *sidenote, 2 4mg morphine shots later and I'm still conversational, lucid, and feeling pain. No Bueno.
wow!!! DUDE did they xray you? i wish the best for you man
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 09:43 PM   #10
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BSM/SO M3

Quote:
What happened!?!? I'll text you tomorrow
Appreciate 0