Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

04-17-2018, 05:41 PM   #1
ZoneLaps
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4

How sturdy are MPE brackets? Damage to MPE?

I ask because I just had an MPE installed at the beginning of March, and I heard some metallic sounds under hard acceleration. So when I brought the car to the dealership this week to get the MP Spoiler, among other things, taken care of, they told me that:

"The car has bottomed out since it was here last, it scraped the exhaust. No serious damage but an exhaust bracket is damaged and needs to be replaced, the cost would run $165.69"

I had the car for just about a month since the exhaust was put on, and frankly I was out of the country for two weeks during that timeframe. I baby the car around holes, bumps, etc., and I never once heard it scraping on anything.

What's the most likely scenario here? Are the brackets really so unsturdy that this type of damage can happen in the normal course of careful driving, or did the dealership screw up the install and are now trying to cover their tracks?

Also, bonus question -- I'm attaching pictures that they sent. Based on these, do I need to worry about performance/sound of the exhaust? I'm thinking not, as it looks to be just scratches.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 06:19 PM   #2
ZoneLaps
Private First Class
Rep

I suppose the other possibility is that they did "loan" it to their body shop vendor to put the black M4 badge on -- it's possible that someone who drove it there bottomed it out pretty hard. I know that I didn't but I suppose that doesn't mean no else didn't, and that's the only other person who drove it.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2018, 01:39 PM   #3
Brasko
#LSBM3
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Garage List
My guess is it was driven over a speed bump that did not have much clearance since most of the scrape marks looks like they are near the center of the vehicle.

/// M3
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2018, 04:49 PM   #4
ZoneLaps
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brasko View Post
My guess is it was driven over a speed bump that did not have much clearance since most of the scrape marks looks like they are near the center of the vehicle.
So it wasn’t that it was hit hard, it’s that I went over a big bump? That I can believe. Should I worry about the damage given that the titanium is fairly thin or will it be fine? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 02:23 AM   #5
SanchoDivine
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaywhateveryo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brasko View Post
So it wasn't that it was hit hard, it's that I went over a big bump? That I can believe. Should I worry about the damage given that the titanium is fairly thin or will it be fine? Thanks.
With the exception of the hanger, the parts in the pictures that you scrapped are steel. It looks like you bottomed out on a large speed bump or drove off a curb. The damage appears to be cosmetic and doesn't look like something to worry too much about.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 05:25 PM   #6
wdskukm3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3 and Model P3D

Most likely a high speed bump. These exhaust brackets barely move when they are installed correctly. Pretty sure who ever drove it scraped it and didn't tell you about it. Because with a scrape like that it's hard not able to hear it. It gets loud inside the cabin.