Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

02-09-2018, 07:26 AM   #1
M4CLT
Rep
Drives: M4

M4 - Water Damage while in transit to the Performance Center

Hi All,

I recently completed European Delivery in December 2017 and I appreciate all the great info on the forum, including the sticky on Places to visit near Munich, the discussion about speeding tickets (I just got an Austrian ticket in the mail yesterday for 45 Euro), and the pricing thread.

I need feedback from the board on my M4, since it looks like it will have to be replaced by BMW.

I was scheduled to do PCD on my M4 next week, but got a voicemail from BMW NA (not my Dealer or PC) to call them right away. When I called them back, they indicated that a work order was being opened, and my PCD for next week would have to be cancelled. They are in the process of gathering more details from the PC, but it looks like after my M4 was released to the carrier at Brunswick VPC (last Friday) the driver neglected to close a window, and the car got interior water damage while being transported to the PCD. There was also a storm this past weekend.

The BMW NA rep stated that she already left a message for the Regional Rep for my West Coast Dealer because it looks like they will need to replace the M4. My Dealer got the news of the damage from me and the PC would not provide details to my Dealer other than telling them to contact BMW NA.

The BMW NA rep indicated during our phone call that she would work on finding a transportation solution for me. However, since my Dealer is on the West Coast she mentioned that might pose some constraints to get me a temporary car, but perhaps she could arrange for me to pick up a temporary car at the PC.

Since this was European Delivery - my payments started in late November 2017 and I leased through BMW FS.

I need guidance on logistics - my first thought is BMW will payoff my lease and need me to paper a new deal. My Dealer doesn’t have an M4 allocation right now, but the assumption is BMW will give them an extra allocation due to the circumstances. I wonder if North America will actually come through with a temporary car to pickup at the PC?

The car made it from Bremerhaven to Brunswick VPC without damage, had the break-in service done at the port, and I thought I would have it next week...

I appreciate everyone's feedback

Thanks,

M4 CLT
Appreciate 2
      02-09-2018, 08:04 AM   #2
aerostar
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80

I mean it looks like they're going to give you free transportation while you wait.

You will probably have your payments pushed up to when you receive the new car.

I don't really see any negative. I guess you'll have to wait for your car for another 1.5 months but you get a free rental you can kick the shit out of while you wait.
Appreciate 1
      02-09-2018, 09:27 AM   #3
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Looks like a plan... except, any particular reason of picking up the temporary car at the PCD instead of BMWNA telling your local dealer to give you a loaner and then your new car delivered at the PCD?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2018, 09:47 AM   #4
M4CLT
Rep

BMW NA made it seem like they could make arrangements at the PC rather than force the local dealer (who isn’t the selling dealer) to accommodate me.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2018, 10:16 AM   #5
FirstF80InSpace
///M You
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 Porsche 718 Cayman S

That sucks. On the bright side, when you get your new car, it won't be winter anymore.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2018, 11:28 AM   #6
jjrandorin
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435 & 2016 X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4CLT View Post
Hi All,

I recently completed European Delivery in December 2017 and I appreciate all the great info on the forum, including the sticky on Places to visit near Munich, the discussion about speeding tickets (I just got an Austrian ticket in the mail yesterday for 45 Euro), and the pricing thread.

I need feedback from the board on my M4, since it looks like it will have to be replaced by BMW.

I was scheduled to do PCD on my M4 next week, but got a voicemail from BMW NA (not my Dealer or PC) to call them right away. When I called them back, they indicated that a work order was being opened, and my PCD for next week would have to be cancelled. They are in the process of gathering more details from the PC, but it looks like after my M4 was released to the carrier at Brunswick VPC (last Friday) the driver neglected to close a window, and the car got interior water damage while being transported to the PCD. There was also a storm this past weekend.

The BMW NA rep stated that she already left a message for the Regional Rep for my West Coast Dealer because it looks like they will need to replace the M4. My Dealer got the news of the damage from me and the PC would not provide details to my Dealer other than telling them to contact BMW NA.

The BMW NA rep indicated during our phone call that she would work on finding a transportation solution for me. However, since my Dealer is on the West Coast she mentioned that might pose some constraints to get me a temporary car, but perhaps she could arrange for me to pick up a temporary car at the PC.

Since this was European Delivery - my payments started in late November 2017 and I leased through BMW FS.

I need guidance on logistics - my first thought is BMW will payoff my lease and need me to paper a new deal. My Dealer doesn’t have an M4 allocation right now, but the assumption is BMW will give them an extra allocation due to the circumstances. I wonder if North America will actually come through with a temporary car to pickup at the PC?

The car made it from Bremerhaven to Brunswick VPC without damage, had the break-in service done at the port, and I thought I would have it next week...

I appreciate everyone's feedback

Thanks,

M4 CLT
They might not make you paper a new deal. Since you did a lease, they will likely do what they did for me when I had to turn in my X5 that had less than 2k miles on it and had electrical issues that couldnt be fixed.

They didnt want to "lemon" it and I just asked for a replacement X5, so they did what is called a "substitution of collateral".

What that is, basically is swapping the new VIN number into your old deal. BMW FS handles that for them, once its approved by a regional rep, and in my case, they had the Sales manager at my local servicing dealer jump through a bunch of hoops to get it submitted.

Note, that my servicing dealer was NOT my selling dealer. I leased the X5 from Crevier, and was having it serviced at BMW of Vista because that was close to my work (and crevier was not.. only went there because they had the car I wanted and the deal I wanted).

Anyway, on a substitution of collateral, nothing in your deal changes except the VIN. Same payment, same terms (so when I got my replacement car, i still had the 30k miles I was contracted for, but was now about 9 months into the lease, so obviously less issue with worrying about going over on miles).

The RV changes but your terms dont change. In my case, we had a loaner car from the servicing dealership... but in your case it sounds like they might be able to get you a loaner from the Performance Center.

I found out it was easier for them to deal with on a lease because they could do this substitution of collateral thing, vs if it was a purchase, they would have had to buy back the car etc.

When you talk to the rep, tell them since you are leasing you heard you might be able to get a 'substitution of collateral" so that your deal does not change, and you would like that.

(In my case I had a 72k X5, and then ordered a replacement X5 that was 75k and there was no change in my payments etc.)

The substitution of collateral paperwork stipulates that the car must be equal to or greater than the cost of the car it is replacing. It can not be less. I also swapped an X5 35i for an X5D so I know changing at least model TYPE was possible under this program.

They also even handled DMV registration etc (since you already paid it on the car at contracting in my case).

Hope that information helps. There is a whole thread over at bimmerfest about my situation in 2016 that if you want I can link you to, if you want to read it in more detail that I put here. PM me if you want a link to it.

good luck.
Appreciate 2
boi222179.00
      02-09-2018, 11:58 AM   #7
M4CLT
Rep

Thanks - this information is very helpful.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2018, 03:33 PM   #8
MN2///M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: very fast!

Good to know BMW is stepping up for you; been my experience over the last 15 years. If you are reasonable with them, they will do just about anything you want.

Have you considered doing the ED again? I sure would.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2018, 04:41 PM   #9
M4CLT
Rep

They terminated my existing lease and will paper a new deal.

The initial offer is for me to obtain a rental until the replacement M4 is received and BMW NA will reimburse for the expense. BMW NA will also waive three payments of the new lease. They said the Region does not have an additional car available and reimbursing me for a rental would put me in a car faster.

The new lease will be based on the European Delivery structure lease (left unspoken is the higher MF and another Acquisition Fee of $925) but there will be no Munich pickup.

I indicated that not having the option to do Munich pickup was not acceptable - I need to formally get back to them on my plan, including other concerns like the acquisition fee.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2018, 07:59 PM   #10
aerostar
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4CLT View Post
They terminated my existing lease and will paper a new deal.

The initial offer is for me to obtain a rental until the replacement M4 is received and BMW NA will reimburse for the expense. BMW NA will also waive three payments of the new lease. They said the Region does not have an additional car available and reimbursing me for a rental would put me in a car faster.

The new lease will be based on the European Delivery structure lease (left unspoken is the higher MF and another Acquisition Fee of $925) but there will be no Munich pickup.

I indicated that not having the option to do Munich pickup was not acceptable - I need to formally get back to them on my plan, including other concerns like the acquisition fee.
Eating 3 payments and giving you a car until you get your car is pretty good deal.

Even if it's just 2 payments due to the acquisition fee that's still a good deal.
Appreciate 1
drexplode1779.00
      02-09-2018, 08:32 PM   #11
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrandorin View Post
They might not make you paper a new deal. Since you did a lease, they will likely do what they did for me when I had to turn in my X5 that had less than 2k miles on it and had electrical issues that couldnt be fixed.

They didnt want to "lemon" it and I just asked for a replacement X5, so they did what is called a "substitution of collateral".

What that is, basically is swapping the new VIN number into your old deal. BMW FS handles that for them, once its approved by a regional rep, and in my case, they had the Sales manager at my local servicing dealer jump through a bunch of hoops to get it submitted.

Note, that my servicing dealer was NOT my selling dealer. I leased the X5 from Crevier, and was having it serviced at BMW of Vista because that was close to my work (and crevier was not.. only went there because they had the car I wanted and the deal I wanted).

Anyway, on a substitution of collateral, nothing in your deal changes except the VIN. Same payment, same terms (so when I got my replacement car, i still had the 30k miles I was contracted for, but was now about 9 months into the lease, so obviously less issue with worrying about going over on miles).

The RV changes but your terms dont change. In my case, we had a loaner car from the servicing dealership... but in your case it sounds like they might be able to get you a loaner from the Performance Center.

I found out it was easier for them to deal with on a lease because they could do this substitution of collateral thing, vs if it was a purchase, they would have had to buy back the car etc.

When you talk to the rep, tell them since you are leasing you heard you might be able to get a 'substitution of collateral" so that your deal does not change, and you would like that.

(In my case I had a 72k X5, and then ordered a replacement X5 that was 75k and there was no change in my payments etc.)

The substitution of collateral paperwork stipulates that the car must be equal to or greater than the cost of the car it is replacing. It can not be less. I also swapped an X5 35i for an X5D so I know changing at least model TYPE was possible under this program.

They also even handled DMV registration etc (since you already paid it on the car at contracting in my case).

Hope that information helps. There is a whole thread over at bimmerfest about my situation in 2016 that if you want I can link you to, if you want to read it in more detail that I put here. PM me if you want a link to it.

good luck.
And BMW does not have to show the Car was Lemon Law buyback, passing it off to the next unsuspecting buyer.

New buyer would be forced to be told that prior to purchase if it was listed a such.

BMW avoided that in your situation.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2018, 08:55 PM   #12
drexplode
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G26 i4x

Glad to hear that BMW took care of you but sorry to hear about your car. I'm sure there is some amount of sentimental value considering the European trip.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2018, 09:33 PM   #13
jjrandorin
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435 & 2016 X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
And BMW does not have to show the Car was Lemon Law buyback, passing it off to the next unsuspecting buyer.

New buyer would be forced to be told that prior to purchase if it was listed a such.

Yep.. I knew that (I knew they wanted to avoid that as well). I was "politely insistent" on "I would like a replacement X5.. I am not sour on BMW, just THIS one... and what would make me very happy and continue my loyalty to BMW is...."

I am sure my problem vehicle was "repaired" and sold as a low mileage CPO.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2018, 09:46 PM   #14
dkhm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3 2020 X3MC

Quote:

It is important to get service records of all cpo cars.

Never assume anything.

Previously:
1999 M3 2002 M3 2005 S4 2008 C63 2015 M3 2016 X5M 2019 911S
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 01:31 AM   #15
Ibiza
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 G83 comp & 2024 X5 M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkhm3 View Post
Quote:

It is important to get service records of all cpo cars.

Never assume anything.
Or to avoid all low mileage CPO vehicles and low mileage M vehicles which have been tracked at the PC.