Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

09-26-2015, 01:30 PM   #1
BoosTonian
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 MB C63 S AMG Coupe

Garage List
Thinking Meth

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Quick question (did a search and didn't really find anything)..

Thinking about adding the snow performance meth kit to my car. Was wondering if it will make a difference on a stock application or the BMS Stage 1 upgrade. If so, is there an estimated figure it will add hp/tq-wise? With the addition of meth, the snow performance stage 1 comes with an adjustable boost controller switch I believe. Anyone know how that works with a stock/stage 1 application? Or is the stage 2 recommended?

I know 98% of you guys will say "just get stage 2 jb4" but let's stick to the questions above lol

retired: GranTurismo MC, Giulia Quadrifoglio, B8.5 RS5, Q60 RedSport, e82 135, F80, e92 M3, e90 M3, (2) e92 335, B8 S4, C209 CLK55 AMG, e46 330

Last edited by BoosTonian; 09-26-2015 at 01:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2015, 02:02 PM   #2
Fast4d
Captain
Rep
Drives: 325

I too will likely add a meth kit once I go JB4

I can run on 91 fuel and only spray meth once into the boost. this will be cheaper in the long run.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2015, 03:19 PM   #3
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MThree_driver View Post
Quick question (did a search and didn't really find anything)..

Thinking about adding the snow performance meth kit to my car. Was wondering if it will make a difference on a stock application or the BMS Stage 1 upgrade. If so, is there an estimated figure it will add hp/tq-wise? With the addition of meth, the snow performance stage 1 comes with an adjustable boost controller switch I believe. Anyone know how that works with a stock/stage 1 application? Or is the stage 2 recommended?

I know 98% of you guys will say "just get stage 2 jb4" but let's stick to the questions above lol
All depends on how you setup. The gains from meth are usually from
Adding boost like with jb4 integration. If not raising boost when spraying meth then the gains will be nominal. Someone would have to yes it out on this platform to see how much the stock ecu can adjust timing and boost based on the increased affective octane. I would say 5-15 hp/tq gains on a stock system.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2015, 03:46 PM   #4
CaryTheLabelGuy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP

The stock DME will not advance ignition timing beyond the stock ignition maps. If you add meth injection on the stock DME, the best you'll see is less timing being pulled from knock (higher detonation threshold). So, it is like running a higher octane fuel, for the most part. The real reason you'd run meth is if you could advance ignition timing (beyond stock) and/or increase boost. Otherwise, you aren't really taking full advantage of what meth provides.
Appreciate 1
      09-26-2015, 03:49 PM   #5
BoosTonian
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 MB C63 S AMG Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryTheLabelGuy View Post
The stock DME will not advance ignition timing beyond the stock ignition maps. If you add meth injection on the stock DME, the best you'll see is less timing being pulled from knock (higher detonation threshold). So, it is like running a higher octane fuel, for the most part. The real reason you'd run meth is if you could advance ignition timing (beyond stock) and/or increase boost. Otherwise, you aren't really taking full advantage of what meth provides.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
All depends on how you setup. The gains from meth are usually from
Adding boost like with jb4 integration. If not raising boost when spraying meth then the gains will be nominal. Someone would have to yes it out on this platform to see how much the stock ecu can adjust timing and boost based on the increased affective octane. I would say 5-15 hp/tq gains on a stock system.

Mike

Thanks for the replies guys, so essentially, would running just the stage 1 bms tune with meth do anything? or would it still be minimal gains?

retired: GranTurismo MC, Giulia Quadrifoglio, B8.5 RS5, Q60 RedSport, e82 135, F80, e92 M3, e90 M3, (2) e92 335, B8 S4, C209 CLK55 AMG, e46 330
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2015, 12:12 PM   #6
MChat
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3 (en route)

Garage List
Just adding water/meth alone will not give you much. It does compensate for poor gas, so for instance those of us stuck with 91 octane "premium" it will help keep the ECU from pulling timing due to detonation, so in that respect, the car will have more power, but only because the ECU isn't de-tuning the car due to the crappy gas.

The real gains with water/meth is being able to change the tune, running more boost. Snow's website advertises that their kits "raise" the octane rating for pump gas to 116 octane. While it does raise the effective octane rating, my experience is that it is probably closer to 100 octane than it is 116.

The first mods to my car will likely be a JB4 and the Burger dual nozzle kit with the nozzles being in an aftermarket "Charged Air Intake Pipe" or whatever BMW calls it (the pipe between the after-cooler and the throttle-body". Although I'll probably swap out the CM type nozzles for Snow Performance ones (personal preference).

If I remember correctly I shoot for a 15-20% water/meth and 80-85% gasoline mix (using a 50/50 mix of methanol and distilled water). I also shoot for an air-fuel mix of 11 to 11.5; some people push the AFR closer to 12 with water/meth, but I prefer to play it safe.

2016 BMW M3 (stock)
2005 Jeep LJ (slightly modified)
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2015, 03:07 PM   #7
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MThree_driver View Post
Thanks for the replies guys, so essentially, would running just the stage 1 bms tune with meth do anything? or would it still be minimal gains?
Wouldn't do much IMO. You're much better off getting JB4 if yo are doing meth injection.

Mike
Appreciate 0