EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

07-20-2016, 08:59 PM   #1
te37
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 SS/SO 6MT

Share Your Hex Tuning Review Here

Basically as the title says. I want to hear your review. I want to get excited about this tune and forget about the warranty aspect Share the whole experience from the install process to how you like or dislike the tune. How it has affected daily driving or MPGs or even the liking or disliking the burbles? Is your driving style the same? Cant you even drive in sport+, how long did it take for you to get "used to" the new power? What stage do you have and what other modifications do you have?
Thanks,
Nick
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 04:36 PM   #2
hdubf80
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 ///M3 AW/SO/DCT

I'm curious to know as well. C'mon people lets get this thread rolling...
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 06:29 PM   #3
hanszilla
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 F80

I'm pretty stock right now and I am running stage 1, the car only has MPE, DP, and is sitting on the KW HAS.

From my experience on a roll the car pulls harder from 70+, the wheels WILL chirp if you WOT in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. Now it could be the tune or the fact that I am running on the crappy stock contis. From a complete stop, the car doesn't feel that much faster (due to the wheel spin and the car will also squirm), but it does shine from a roll. From a 60 roll the car will pull harder, and if you don't pay attention you will hit 120-130 with ease. So far I am happy with the tune.

Now onto the burbles, with a stock system it is very subtle with the pops. Now I have MPE and DP, it is by no means subtle. My neighbors hate me a lot. Everytime I leave my garage I'm sure my neighbors that are out in the morning walking their dog would think "this fucking guy again". Call me a kid but I like the burbles and pops, I generally don't run the car in Sport + because the pops and burbles are a bit out of control, and Sport is plenty of power for city driving.

I'm still getting used to the new power, maybe when I get my new set of tires I can comment better on this, but as of right now it feels as if I am ice skating with a pair of sneakers. I'm sure a few others will chime in on this.

Forevermore haunted by 2 bear pillows in the car.
Appreciate 1
      07-21-2016, 11:38 PM   #4
rmedeir1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW MW M4 - MPE, CCBs, all CF

So I have had this tune for almost a week now; Stage 1 + TCU. I am stock except for MPE. Moved away from JB4 and ER DPs. My initial impression is that the throttle response seems a bit laggy and abrupt starting in 1st gear from a stop or if I decide to moderately step on the gas from a cruise there is a bit of a delay or a significant surge after the first second. I have seen some responses (not exact verbiage) say let the car settle into it, BUT when I change a hard drive in a computer or change out the motherboard the computer does not work better once it has had time to adapt to the new changes. The changes take effect immediately because it is electric/digital like our car's ECUs.

The power is definite. Like previous poster said about rolling and from a stop is all true.

What I am worried about is opinion only but I am concerned about what this tune does to the overall integrity/reliability of the car. Obviously tunes are a "at your own risk" but I am unclear on what the longer term effects are on this HEX tune and am curious.

Last edited by rmedeir1; 07-21-2016 at 11:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 11:57 PM   #5
hdubf80
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmedeir1 View Post
So I have had this tune for almost a week now; Stage 1 + TCU. I am stock except for MPE. Moved away from JB4 and ER DPs. My initial impression is that the throttle response seems a bit laggy and abrupt starting in 1st gear from a stop or if I decide to moderately step on the gas from a cruise there is a bit of a delay or a significant surge after the first second. I have seen some responses (not exact verbiage) say let the car settle into it, BUT when I change a hard drive in a computer or change out the motherboard the computer does not work better once it has had time to adapt to the new changes. The changes take effect immediately because it is electric/digital like our car's ECUs.

The power is definite. Like previous poster said about rolling and from a stop is all true.

What I am worried about is opinion only but I am concerned about what this tune does to the overall integrity/reliability of the car. Obviously tunes are a "at your own risk" but I am unclear on what the longer term effects are on this HEX tune and am curious.
Ya I'm worried about the car in the long run too. As I plan on keeping this car for 6+ years. And I would feel more comfortable if my ecu wasn't hacked open.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 03:42 AM   #6
Zu
Private First Class
Singapore
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

had a shaky start with sending my ecu over to vf for this tune, but all is good after, running stage 1
with tcu flash

pros
car sounds waaaay better gives it the character it was missing
during downshifts it sounds much better as well

pulls really hard did a 100-200km run and it managed a 7.9sec

somehow i have the cold start delete which is great for my neighbors

love the "roar" start up

cons
before the tune when i put my car in sport mode the exhaust valves immediately opens after tapping the throttle , not anymore now , takes a good 30 seconds or more for it to open up with the burbles and such

in sport mode , and transmission in 1, if i let the car cruise to a stop in gear 3 , it stutters , don't know if its due to the tune or not ,however didn't notice this before the tune , also it doesn't happen if i put the transmission in 2

Like quite a few people i also feel the throttle is a lil bit too sensitive , after it adapts yes its less sensitive , but nevertheless still more sensitive then stock in my opinion

overall would i do it again- yes
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 03:47 AM   #7
hdubf80
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zu View Post
had a shaky start with sending my ecu over to vf for this tune, but all is good after, running stage 1
with tcu flash

pros
car sounds waaaay better gives it the character it was missing
during downshifts it sounds much better as well

pulls really hard did a 100-200km run and it managed a 7.9sec

somehow i have the cold start delete which is great for my neighbors

love the "roar" start up

cons
before the tune when i put my car in sport mode the exhaust valves immediately opens after tapping the throttle , not anymore now , takes a good 30 seconds or more for it to open up with the burbles and such

in sport mode , and transmission in 1, if i let the car cruise to a stop in gear 3 , it stutters , don't know if its due to the tune or not ,however didn't notice this before the tune , also it doesn't happen if i put the transmission in 2

Like quite a few people i also feel the throttle is a lil bit too sensitive , after it adapts yes its less sensitive , but nevertheless still more sensitive then stock in my opinion

overall would i do it again- yes
What do you mean by shaky start? And I thought there was no cold start delete. Are you experiencing any other problems ?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 03:57 AM   #8
Zu
Private First Class
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdubf80 View Post
What do you mean by shaky start? And I thought there was no cold start delete. Are you experiencing any other problems ?
had my ecu DHL over , waited for 10 days , and then was told i had to update my bmw software (my version then was the blue HUD update) to the latest before they could update it (wasnt informed of this at the start , after my case then they started to give out the warning , price of being the few first i guess) , so had to have it shipped back to me , update to the latest bmw software , and then ship it back to to vf again,whole process all in all took close to a month.

yeah i didn't expect the cold start delete as well , but my cold starts are significantly quieter now. nope no other problems currently , car is alot more fun to drive now to be honest , but i will consider cup2 tyres after my pss runs out
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 05:54 AM   #9
BoosTonian
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 MB C63 S AMG Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zu
Quote:
had my ecu DHL over , waited for 10 days , and then was told i had to update my bmw software (my version then was the blue HUD update) to the latest before they could update it (wasnt informed of this at the start , after my case then they started to give out the warning , price of being the few first i guess) , so had to have it shipped back to me , update to the latest bmw software , and then ship it back to to vf again,whole process all in all took close to a month.

yeah i didn't expect the cold start delete as well , but my cold starts are significantly quieter now. nope no other problems currently , car is alot more fun to drive now to be honest , but i will consider cup2 tyres after my pss runs out
There is not cold start delete just for the record.

What VF has done is induce the gts roar on startup, then they altered wastegate position and lowered the idle rpm on startup to make it quieter and more livable.

The cold start sequence is still left intact.

retired: GranTurismo MC, Giulia Quadrifoglio, B8.5 RS5, Q60 RedSport, e82 135, F80, e92 M3, e90 M3, (2) e92 335, B8 S4, C209 CLK55 AMG, e46 330
Appreciate 1
FSociety3812.50
      07-22-2016, 05:55 AM   #10
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zu View Post

The quieter cold start might just be the new roar and cold start cycle. ZCP has the same thing and it's noticeably quieter than my old 15.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 06:54 AM   #11
Zu
Private First Class
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MThree_driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zu
Quote:

What VF has done is induce the gts roar on startup, then they altered wastegate position and lowered the idle rpm on startup to make it quieter and more livable.

Ah ok well with this you don't need the cold start delete then cause it already serves the purpose of a much quieter cold start
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 07:05 AM   #12
BoosTonian
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zu
Quote:
Originally Posted by MThree_driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zu
Quote:

Ah ok well with this you don't need the cold start delete then cause it already serves the purpose of a much quieter cold start
Exactly. The cold start is an emissions feature and VF wanted to keep all safety systems in tact. So they made other adjustments to quiet down the cold start

retired: GranTurismo MC, Giulia Quadrifoglio, B8.5 RS5, Q60 RedSport, e82 135, F80, e92 M3, e90 M3, (2) e92 335, B8 S4, C209 CLK55 AMG, e46 330
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 07:37 AM   #13
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MThree_driver View Post
Exactly. The cold start is an emissions feature and VF wanted to keep all safety systems in tact. So they made other adjustments to quiet down the cold start
Same on zcp. But still valve rattles on start even with the new can 3 years into production. BMW.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 07:41 AM   #14
chewbakam4
Major
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Buddy of mine got his tuned another bench flash though but all the same really but he's hatin' on me seeing my bootmod3 shit working away with logging and map switching.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 07:47 AM   #15
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewbakam4 View Post
Buddy of mine got his tuned another bench flash though but all the same really but he's hatin' on me seeing my bootmod3 shit working away with logging and map switching.
Do you know if BM3 will have the ability to turn burbles on in the future?
Appreciate 1
      07-22-2016, 09:46 AM   #16
TruthGuY
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 ///M E92 - M - F82 M -

Just waiting on more reviews before I pull the Trigger
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 02:06 PM   #17
srtullio
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 Ferrari F8 Tributo

Last edited by srtullio; 08-17-2016 at 09:29 PM..
Appreciate 1
FSociety3812.50
      07-22-2016, 02:38 PM   #18
te37
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 SS/SO 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by srtullio View Post
Stage 1 Hex tune:
Stock (With AWE exhaust) - 405/389
Stage 1-----------------------460/498

The peak numbers only tell part of the story. At 4700rpm I showed max gains of 115whp/130wtq from stock! VF can feel free to post my dyno sheet.
With that kind of power increase, that's amazing, but it makes me wonder how long it can go like that for. I'm assuming it feels like a new/different car with that kind of power?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 03:05 PM   #19
VF-Engineering
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by te37 View Post
With that kind of power increase, that's amazing, but it makes me wonder how long it can go like that for. I'm assuming it feels like a new/different car with that kind of power?
We feel like we have a very good understanding of the limits for this platform with stock turbos and pump fuel.

In total we have almost a full 12 months of development and have put multiple development cars through the ringer; on the dyno, out in the streets, and at the track without a single hiccup.

We absolutely tune to make power, but we also pay strict attention to longevity and reliability. While we are generating very respectable numbers for all of our Stage Levels on pump fuel, we're still quite a ways off from being at the top of the food chain for HP & TQ, and are absolutely OK with that.
Appreciate 1
FSociety3812.50
      07-22-2016, 04:36 PM   #20
BoosTonian
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I recommend reading through the VF thread on here..there are a bunch of reviews on there

Appreciate 1
FSociety3812.50
      07-22-2016, 05:08 PM   #21
RyanD
Rep
Drives: M4

Have Stage 1 on bone stock F82 M4 6MT.
The tune completely transformed my car.

The increase in power is immediately noticeable all across the power band. Travis worked on my car at Motorwerks in Houston and after a few mix ups with VF in getting the file downloaded and having them run the files remotely - he said that it was the strongest one they had tuned so far. "Stout"

MPGs are down bc of my new found addiction to feeling the wave of torque pinning me to the seat. I'm ok with spending some extra dollars on Top Tier fuel from Costco. Sport+ throttle is very sensitive, but I don't use that to drive around town, ok at the track.

Updated cold start cycle is a plus (never really bothered by it stock), no lag in valves opening, no transmission issues since I row my own, throttle feels no different in Comfort/Sport - just a vast well of power.

Would I do it again? A hundred times yes.
I may in fact actually do it again after VF finishes testing (a potential Stage 3? to stack with) with Pure Turbos.
Appreciate 1
FSociety3812.50
      07-22-2016, 05:16 PM   #22
chewbakam4
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Do you know if BM3 will have the ability to turn burbles on in the future?
Yeah I have the burble, and can switch to another map in a minute to turn that crap off when I'm sick of it.
Appreciate 0