Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

View Poll Results: Which F8x Drivers experience brake vibration/judder in winter only?
Yes - I experience vibration in brake pedal/steering wheel in winter only, and only when braking 2 33.33%
No - I daily drive through winter snow and salty roads - but this is not an issue 4 66.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

01-15-2018, 09:25 AM   #1
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

POLL - Winter Daily Drivers Snowy/Salted Roads - Braking Vibration?

So - in connection with the related thread I started "HELP!! Vibration Under Braking - Winter Wheels/Tires Only??" - http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1456213 - for those who live in snowy winter climates where salt is routinely used to de-ice the roads - and for those who also daily drive their F8x in such conditions - I'm wondering who else notices vibration of the brake pedal and steering wheel ONLY WHEN BRAKING in the winter time, but also DO NOT experience such symptoms in the spring/summer/fall when no snow or salt are on the roads.

I'm trying to figure out if everyone who daily drives their cars in such conditions experiences this (which makes me think corrosion can build up after only a few hours between drives, causing the vibration/judder in the brake pedal and wheel), and if not everyone else does - is it just my winter wheels/tires?

Thanks to everyone who has responded to my thread above thus far, and thanks in advance to the rest of you who also respond! Safe winter driving everyone!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 09:32 AM   #2
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Here is a picture of my rotors as of only 2400 miles (brand-new 2018 F80 ZCP):

Name:  IMG_2726.JPG
Views: 143
Size:  78.4 KB
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 12:43 PM   #3
FirstF80InSpace
///M You
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 Porsche 718 Cayman S

My F80 is my winter beater. We've had a few snowstorms where roads are covered in salt, sand and other shit. I haven't experienced any of the issues above.

Having said that, do you see a rusted brake pad impression on your rotor? Could be that some brake pad material rusted on to the rotor. It happened to me when I washed my car and didn't drive it for 3 days. I had to take off the wheels and sand the impression off the rotor. The vibrations went away after I did that.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 01:23 PM   #4
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstF80InSpace View Post
My F80 is my winter beater. We've had a few snowstorms where roads are covered in salt, sand and other shit. I haven't experienced any of the issues above.

Having said that, do you see a rusted brake pad impression on your rotor? Could be that some brake pad material rusted on to the rotor. It happened to me when I washed my car and didn't drive it for 3 days. I had to take off the wheels and sand the impression off the rotor. The vibrations went away after I did that.
I don't have any impressions on the rotors that look like corrosion or pad material. Interesting that aside from that one occurrence, you haven't experienced any of the issues that I have with snow, ice, slush, salt, etc.
Appreciate 0