Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

08-14-2013, 09:49 AM   #155
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: work truck

The debut of the M3/M4 may be the most anticipated/feared debut in years.

With one car BMW could win people over that tirbocharging is the way of future performance or forever be a dud that created the S65 and after that shit the bed.

I am hopeful but jeez I hope the M4 is better looking than the 4 series or MSport version of the same.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 01:45 PM   #156
Carl L
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyg View Post
Dont do it. They will LCI it 8 months later and then come out with a Comp pack and a a light weight pack I am sure.

The worst buying decision would be buy the first year production of this car.
How are you sure? What will your light weight pack entail? I've never heard of it, but haven't been checking in much so may be out of the loop.

I just don't think the LCI will come that soon, maybe 18 months but that wouldn't put me off as that would like saying well there will be an F100 out in 2020 . But again, if you have sources for 8 months please let me know as that would be a reason not to buy.

As regards comments from other posters re first year reliability, well the E90/92 M proved an excellent buy for first year adopters. People point out the issues of newly developed drivetrains but the vast majority are introduced without fault, for instance the twin turbo diesel that Europe got in 2005 was both groundbreaking and flawless. I think this model will be the same, but of course that's only a strongly weighted guess based on playing the percentages.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 01:46 PM   #157
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanq View Post
Your explanation for what a teaser is trying to accomplish is perfectly fine, and in fact it does accomplish the intended purpose.

BUT, in my opinion BMW could have done something much more creative and exciting for a flagship car like that, and still keep it secret.
Look at it in this perspective.
The new M4 Concept comes to life and then decides that its going to sort those imitation bitches from the competition and drives off to find them...
      08-14-2013, 01:55 PM   #158
Jaguar
Mark 42
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
The new M4 Concept comes to life and then decides that its going to sort those imitation bitches from the competition and drives off to find them...
Now THAT, is hot!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 01:56 PM   #159
Jaguar
Mark 42
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl L View Post
How are you sure? What will your light weight pack entail? I've never heard of it, but haven't been checking in much so may be out of the loop.

I just don't think the LCI will come that soon, maybe 18 months but that wouldn't put me off as that would like saying well there will be an F100 out in 2020 . But again, if you have sources for 8 months please let me know as that would be a reason not to buy.

As regards comments from other posters re first year reliability, well the E90/92 M proved an excellent buy for first year adopters. People point out the issues of newly developed drivetrains but the vast majority are introduced without fault, for instance the twin turbo diesel that Europe got in 2005 was both groundbreaking and flawless. I think this model will be the same, but of course that's only a strongly weighted guess based on playing the percentages.

There is no truth or evidence for that comment he posted, it's typical misinformation as usual.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 02:01 PM   #160
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

Quote:
Scott, how do you really feel about the competition?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 02:54 PM   #161
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjph View Post
Scott, how do you really feel about the competition?
Well people I have conversed with @ M. Have driven the car against its Audi and Mercedes-Benz competitors. I have driven the Audi RS5 and there is nothing behind the wheel , its completely numb.
The benchmark was of course the E92 because there is a car that does everything expected of it. But they have also benchmarked the Porsche 911 in certain areas. But the focus for M is the reduction of weight in the standard car , which is significant for this segment. There is performance of course its an M. But again with an M you have to offer that perfect balance of driving communication , precision and performance. And the M4 is that car.

The thing you have to look at overall is that if the standard car has a significant weight reduction... For future performance models , again M4 will adopt the 911 model in further models increasing performance and losing weight through further variants. How light can they go...
BMW now have the means to do so and that is certainly something that stands as it has since 2003 above the competition when BMW M took the expensive risk and implemented CFRP with the M3 CSL.

And the BMWi investment in mass volume CFRP shows that M cars and of course BMWs can have a light and very interesting future.
One of our competitors has told the German media or admitted that they are a few years from a mass produced CFRP bodied volume car like the BMW i3 and BMW i8 and now look where BMW is in this field of innovation.

When you look at the M4 its possibilities and potential all comes back to the BMW i3.
      08-14-2013, 03:08 PM   #162
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Well people I have conversed with @ M. Have driven the car against its Audi and Mercedes-Benz competitors. I have driven the Audi RS5 and there is nothing behind the wheel , its completely numb.
The benchmark was of course the E92 because there is a car that does everything expected of it. But they have also benchmarked the Porsche 911 in certain areas. But the focus for M is the reduction of weight in the standard car , which is significant for this segment. There is performance of course its an M. But again with an M you have to offer that perfect balance of driving communication , precision and performance. And the M4 is that car.

The thing you have to look at overall is that if the standard car has a significant weight reduction... For future performance models , again M4 will adopt the 911 model in further models increasing performance and losing weight through further variants. How light can they go...
BMW now have the means to do so and that is certainly something that stands as it has since 2003 above the competition when BMW M took the expensive risk and implemented CFRP with the M3 CSL.

And the BMWi investment in mass volume CFRP shows that M cars and of course BMWs can have a light and very interesting future.
One of our competitors has told the German media or admitted that they are a few years from a mass produced CFRP bodied volume car like the BMW i3 and BMW i8 and now look where BMW is in this field of innovation.

When you look at the M4 its possibilities and potential all comes back to the BMW i3.
That's sweet music to my ears.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 03:30 PM   #163
e92livin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

If it doesn't have rasp, its not a M car
|Gintani Supercharged|Gintani X-Pipe|Stack Gauges|Volk TE37SL|BC Racing Coilovers|Nitto NT05R |BMW Performance Spoiler|BMW Performance Steering Wheel|BMW Performance Side Gills + Grilles|Mode Carbon V1 Endurance|IND Tri- Stitched Shift + Brake Boot - 566WHP, 371WTQ |
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 03:30 PM   #164
turbolag
is nonexistent with N/A
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
You should become a car salesman. I'd totally buy from you.

...or a cheerleader.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 03:34 PM   #165
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: work truck

I am trying to say hold off since BMW has a bad habit of adding more options once the car hits production.

The M5 Comp pack is a perfect example along with the M5 LCI.

Sorry, not trying to get everyone worked up. I am just saying that expect more options within approx 1 year of production start.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 03:53 PM   #166
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

Quote:

Talk about steering feel: Check
Reference Porsche 911: check
Talk loosing weight: Check
You are on my good side today Scott.

As for the rest. Personally, I am fine with higher performance versions of the M3 as long as it meets three requirements. The standard car is not held back any to leave room for a higher model. We get them in the States. And the higher performance versions aren't gimmicks (i.e. a boost and a slight weight reduction).

While I don't particularly care for the BMWi cars, I do like that carbon fiber has come out of it. Since BMW has a leading edge in chassis construction, I want to again recommend that they look at another area that is causing so much weight, electronics.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 07:46 PM   #167
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

Well, to be fair keep in mind all the creative guys at BMW probably got transferred to the engine-sound-to-speaker department

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanq View Post
Your explanation for what a teaser is trying to accomplish is perfectly fine, and in fact it does accomplish the intended purpose.

BUT, in my opinion BMW could have done something much more creative and exciting for a flagship car like that, and still keep it secret.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 08:25 PM   #168
turbolag
is nonexistent with N/A
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by FogCityM3 View Post
Well, to be fair keep in mind all the creative guys at BMW probably got transferred to the engine-sound-to-speaker department
***the boomerang department
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 09:11 PM   #169
seanq
Private
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '13 e92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by FogCityM3 View Post

By the way, and I'm not trying to offend anyone here, is there an official justification of the engine-sound-to-speaker? As an engineer this is somewhat surprising for me from a 100k bmw car.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 11:12 PM   #170
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
That video was worthless lol
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 11:30 PM   #171
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
The benchmark was of course the E92 because there is a car that does everything expected of it. ... But the focus for M is the reduction of weight in the standard car , which is significant for this segment.
For future performance models , again M4 will adopt the 911 model in further models increasing performance and losing weight through further variants
It sounds like the E92 M3 with NA curb weight of 3700 lb is the benchmark. The weight reduction is "significant" for the segment. What exactly does that mean? Obviously totally cryptic...

Also sounds pretty clear that for the basic M4 we will get a fraction of the weight reductions possible and we will then be optioned to death. Sure the M4 CSL or whatever it will be called will be great as are the GT3 and GT3 RS but it probably won't come to the US. If it does I'm sure the price will be outrageous.

The most key thing that matters to the performance of the car is its power to weight ratio and I think we won't know that even after Pebble Beach.

Nothing particularly new, good or exciting to me here...

I really am a pretty long term, loyal and big M fan. I know it doesn't sound like it but I am.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 02:29 AM   #172
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92/E60

Scott26, is it confirmed then that BMW is going EPS for M4 100%. If so can you directly compare the M4 EPS setup vs. the HPS setup now in the E9x M3. How has the feedback and feel suffered if you can elaborate on this. How is the M4 EPS in comparison to 911. Because this is the area of main concern.

Also, is the engine sound prerecorded played instead of being piped in live. In other words are we going to hear some real engine sound a la E9x M3 or E60 M5 style or prerecorded version like the newer M cars.

Overall, how would you rate E9x M3 on scale of 1-10 vs. M4 on scale of 1-10 based on your driving experiences in both.

Quote:

nickname"BAD 3",MHD E85 tune,RennArt catback non-resonated exhaust,VRSF Downpipes, VRSF 7"FMIC,VRSF stock side inlets,SSQV BOV,ECS CP,M-performance alcantara steering,retrofit M3 paddle shifters,Alpina B3 tranny flash,AFE power seal CAI,LED angels,ST Coilovers,M3 upper/lower control arms,E93 M3 Front Swaybar ,235/35/19x9 ,275/30/19x9.5. M sport bumpers, CF diffuser. When in doubt..flat out.

Last edited by Kayani_1; 08-15-2013 at 03:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 05:14 PM   #173
davewolfs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mineral White ZCP

I really hope that the new engine doesn't sound like that. BOOOOOORING.
Appreciate 0