European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

05-21-2024, 09:01 PM   #1
BillNguyen
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F83 M4

Squeaky suspension over bumps

About 3 weeks ago my car has developed a squeak when I hit small sharp bump and small pothole but it doesn’t squeak when going over speed bumps, driveway, large potholes, and big dips in the road. From what I can tell it coming from the right side and most likely the rear. What should I check?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2024, 09:46 PM   #2
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.70]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillNguyen View Post
About 3 weeks ago my car has developed a squeak when I hit small sharp bump and small pothole but it doesn’t squeak when going over speed bumps, driveway, large potholes, and big dips in the road. From what I can tell it coming from the right side and most likely the rear. What should I check?
The bushings. They might be worn.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2024, 09:56 PM   #3
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Check for axial play in all of the rear suspension arms. You could check the damper for leaks. Small imperfections could cause the squeak due to small suspension movements whereas large suspension movements could quickly blow through the range where the squeak is.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2024, 10:09 PM   #4
BillNguyen
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
Check for axial play in all of the rear suspension arms. You could check the damper for leaks. Small imperfections could cause the squeak due to small suspension movements whereas large suspension movements could quickly blow through the range where the squeak is.
What the simplest way to check that or do I need to buy a stethoscope
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2024, 10:58 PM   #5
BillNguyen
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I think I might have found the cause when jumping up and down in the trunk and it seems it coming from that this piece from the convertible mechanism and when I apply pressure on it, it does squeak but it doesn’t squeak on the driver side and now that I test this I remember that when my roof closes and open there is a point during the operation were it would squeak for split second than disappeared I never really think about it but now it seems that it could be the case. But now the big question is what is wrong with my roof mechanism
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2024, 03:47 AM   #6
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I think I might have found the cause when jumping up and down in the trunk and it seems it coming from that this piece from the convertible mechanism and when I apply pressure on it, it does squeak but it doesn’t squeak on the driver side and now that I test this I remember that when my roof closes and open there is a point during the operation were it would squeak for split second than disappeared I never really think about it but now it seems that it could be the case. But now the big question is what is wrong with my roof mechanism
Try applying a dry film lubricant, or whatever BMW recommends, to see if that minimizes or eliminates the squeak. I’ve never a folding hard top but I do remember lubricating the folding mechanism on my 3 s2000s at least once per year.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2024, 05:39 PM   #7
BillNguyen
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Update: so I tried the dry spray and it did fix the roof noise but it didn’t fix the noise over bump so I lifted my car up held the wheel at 12&6, 3&9 and try to shake it but it was solid both front and rear. I checked the bushing and it seem ok and I checked the strut no oil leak. But what I did find is this piece of plastic that came with the swift spring it seem it might rub over bumps so I’m not sure and sound it tricky to get it on video as it does squeak over sharp bumps but not always it happens randomly. Does anyone know if I can remove this plastic piece will it affect the spring?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2024, 10:00 PM   #8
BillNguyen
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Update: found the cause and fixed it. Turns out the single strut bolt at the top of the strut came loose somehow but all it needed was a tightening up and the squeak over bumps disappeared when for an 1 hour drive on all type of road and it didn’t squeak on bit.
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2024, 04:18 AM   #9
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Update: found the cause and fixed it. Turns out the single strut bolt at the top of the strut came loose somehow but all it needed was a tightening up and the squeak over bumps disappeared when for an 1 hour drive on all type of road and it didn’t squeak on bit.
Great hunting! Always a good place to check. It probably wasn’t torqued properly after having your springs installed and it’s been slowly loosening torque since then. I was going to suggest that but it will make noise over all bumps, big or small, and on undulating roads. It’s also usually a solid “tap”, or a squeak. The frequency and sound level will change with bump spacing and speed but it constantly makes noise.

It happens a lot with aftermarket suspensions with camber plates. Some camber plate designs leave little space for tightening with had tools.
Appreciate 0