Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3 / M4 Photos and Videos

08-25-2015, 08:30 AM   #23
///Pip
First Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M4 M2C M340i 718Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by F83 View Post
You will never notice the extra weight on the road. You just won't. However you will notice it somewhat on the track - particularly if the track doesn't allow verts which is common.

So the point being - don't buy a vert if you're looking for a track car. If you are not, irrelevant.
Sorry ... I disagree ... tested both back to back ... big difference even on normal roads ... weight with roof up is very noticeable.

The vert with the top down practically leaves no trunk space.

And whatever trunk space you have with the top up ... is useless because you always have to leave that space empty for just in case you wanna put the top down.

With the top up ... the rear seat headroom is a lot less than in the coupe.

These 2 compromises (boot space and rear seat room) makes the 2+2+boot advantage of the M4 over it's 2 seater competitors almost non existent ...

If I'm in the market for a convertible so I can hear loud exhaust sound, wind/sun in my hair/face, and most importantly, light and good handling ... i'd go with ...

BOXSTER GTS ...

My opinion anyway
Appreciate 1
      08-25-2015, 09:10 AM   #24
F83
Roofless & Ruthless
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY 6MT F83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Pip View Post
Sorry ... I disagree ... tested both back to back ... big difference even on normal roads ... weight with roof up is very noticeable.

The vert with the top down practically leaves no trunk space.

And whatever trunk space you have with the top up ... is useless because you always have to leave that space empty for just in case you wanna put the top down.

With the top up ... the rear seat headroom is a lot less than in the coupe.

These 2 compromises (boot space and rear seat room) makes the 2+2+boot advantage of the M4 over it's 2 seater competitors almost non existent ...

If I'm in the market for a convertible so I can hear loud exhaust sound, wind/sun in my hair/face, and most importantly, light and good handling ... i'd go with ...

BOXSTER GTS ...

My opinion anyway
Well, after 3500 miles in the vert and hundreds of hours in virtually every M made over the past 15 years (except the M6 strangely enough, never driven one) - I personally disagree. So do the overwhelming number of reviewers BTW - they all criticize the amount of extra weight but then quickly add "but honestly you're not going to notice it if you're not on the track" FWIW.

As I said, the big and inescapably relevant performance issue is that most tracks don't allow verts. That is truly the thing that someone should think about before buying one. If you want to track it - and its not a qualifying car - well guess what? You're just out of luck.

As for trunk space and rear seat space - honestly - nonsense. With top up you have the same trunk size (more or less) as the F82. With the top down you have about half that trunk space. You also have the ability to put the back seat down - creating a protective carpet surface - which then allows you to put big boxes and what-not into the car if you have the top down. Done that once, try that with the F82! Rear seat space is no more an issue than it is with the F82. Getting in and out can be tricky but it is no 2+2. The back seats are perfectly serviceable for mid-sized adults on a reasonable ride. (Wouldn't try to cross the country back there as a 200 pound 6 foot man though).

Anyway, Kirk out - its true the vert is not for everyone but I would hate to see people making decisions on misleading information.

I blame Lups because of reasons.
Appreciate 1
      08-25-2015, 11:16 AM   #25
///Pip
First Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
I would hate to see people making decisions on misleading information.
True that
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 11:28 AM   #26
devildog5811
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 F83 BSM/Blk

No issues hearing the exhaust in the vert as well
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 02:39 PM   #27
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 458SPY, GT3RS on the way

Quote:
Well, after 3500 miles in the vert and hundreds of hours in virtually every M made over the past 15 years (except the M6 strangely enough, never driven one) - I personally disagree. So do the overwhelming number of reviewers BTW - they all criticize the amount of extra weight but then quickly add "but honestly you're not going to notice it if you're not on the track" FWIW.

As I said, the big and inescapably relevant performance issue is that most tracks don't allow verts. That is truly the thing that someone should think about before buying one. If you want to track it - and its not a qualifying car - well guess what? You're just out of luck.

As for trunk space and rear seat space - honestly - nonsense. With top up you have the same trunk size (more or less) as the F82. With the top down you have about half that trunk space. You also have the ability to put the back seat down - creating a protective carpet surface - which then allows you to put big boxes and what-not into the car if you have the top down. Done that once, try that with the F82! Rear seat space is no more an issue than it is with the F82. Getting in and out can be tricky but it is no 2+2. The back seats are perfectly serviceable for mid-sized adults on a reasonable ride. (Wouldn't try to cross the country back there as a 200 pound 6 foot man though).

Anyway, Kirk out - its true the vert is not for everyone but I would hate to see people making decisions on misleading information.
Good assessment, and I dropped the M5 for this car and I drive it hands down more than the M5 fun factor. Again, I really wanted a vert so this fit the bill. Storage I can take my golf clubs no problem, and if we take a trip we take two roller boards no issues. If it's a long trip that's what the Range Rover is for, and the M4 is a ton of for me. I would say most people purchasing a M3 and M4 trunk space was not first on the decision tree, I would say performance, looks, and the need of 4 doors possibly.

They're all good looking cars IMHO, but if I needed 4 doors I would have kept the M5 just not fond of a 4 door sports car. (That's just me) The other vert I would have considered is the Audi RS5 which is not out yet. I just enjoy what ever varient you have, and be safe!!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 03:48 PM   #28
TAL2GK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M Coupe, 2017 911

Once you've gone topless, you won't want to go back! With the F83 being a hardtop vert, you get to go topless when you want to or you get a 99% coupe when you don't.
Appreciate 1
      08-25-2015, 04:48 PM   #29
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Previous to the F83 I had a 2007 335i (E93) convertible. I purchased the BMW fitted luggage for the E93 and it fits the F83 perfectly. The back seat is usable for reasonable size people. I have ridden in the back of both cars myself and although I would not want to go cross country back there for reasonably long trips they are more than adequate and are nothing like the rear seats of a Porsche 911 or of out Jaguar XKR.

My wife and I have taken extended trips in both cars. We generally keep the top up on the way to the destination as we tend to be on interstates which IMO are not great venues for topless driving, We put the top down, load the back seat, put the top up and load the trunk. Once we arrive at our destination we unpack, leave the suitcases in our room and enjoy top down motoring until we head back.

Below are pictures of the BMW luggage in the E93 and the F83 and another showing how much luggage can fit in these cars with the rear seat folded down and the top up. For trips of a shorter duration we use the fitted luggage in the back seat and a smaller load in the trunk that allows us to lower the top. Try that with a Boxster GTS.
Attached Images

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England

Last edited by captainaudio; 08-25-2015 at 05:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 05:55 PM   #30
///Pip
First Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
Previous to the F83 I had a 2007 335i (E93) convertible. I purchased the BMW fitted luggage for the E93 and it fits the F83 perfectly. The back seat is usable for reasonable size people. I have ridden in the back of both cars myself and although I would not want to go cross country back there for reasonably long trips they are more than adequate and are nothing like the rear seats of a Porsche 911 or of out Jaguar XKR.

My wife and I have taken extended trips in both cars. We generally keep the top up on the way to the destination as we tend to be on interstates which IMO are not great venues for topless driving, We put the top down, load the back seat, put the top up and load the trunk. Once we arrive at our destination we unpack, leave the suitcases in our room and enjoy top down motoring until we head back.

Below are pictures of the BMW luggage in the E93 and the F83 and another showing how much luggage can fit in these cars with the rear seat folded down and the top up. For trips of a shorter duration we use the fitted luggage in the back seat and a smaller load in the trunk that allows us to lower the top. Try that with a Boxster GTS.
That's an awesome amount of bags !!!
(and unusually a lot for 2 ppl)

These bags are also especially selected to fit the Vert ... which is fine

Hence my point ...

M4
2+2 + bags for 4 ppl

M4 Vert
1+1 + bags for 2 ppl
or
2+2 + bags for 2 ppl
or
1+1 + bags for 4 ppl

Vert just doesn't have the correct practicality combination (Because how the roof folds)

But hey, it's all good ... buy what you like

Boxster GTS can fit almost (2/3) as many bags if they are tailored made for it

More than enough space for 2 ppl travelling ...

Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 06:38 PM   #31
captainaudio
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Hence my point ...

M4
2+2 + bags for 4 ppl

M4 Vert
1+1 + bags for 2 ppl
or
2+2 + bags for 2 ppl
or
1+1 + bags for 4 ppl

Vert just doesn't have the correct practicality combination (Because how the roof folds)

Boxster GTS can fit almost (2/3) as many bags if they are tailored made for it

More than enough space for 2 ppl travelling ...

When we first got the 335i we went away for the Labor Day weekend with another couple and a reasonable amount of luggage for 4 people. On a few occasions we have had two passengers in the back seat. The vast majority of the time there is nobody riding in back but it is nice to have the capability as the need does come up from time to time.

Riding in the back seat with the top down for anything other than a short distance at moderate speed is not a very pleasant experience for most people so IMO not being able to put the top down when there are passengers in the back and luggage for four in the trunk is not an issue.

With the 750Lix although I frequently had rear seat passengers we never had a situation where we had 4 peop0le and luggage for four people on board although the car obviously was designed to easily accommodate that situation.

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England

Last edited by captainaudio; 08-25-2015 at 06:47 PM..
Appreciate 1
      08-25-2015, 08:05 PM   #32
F83
Roofless & Ruthless
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY 6MT F83

Garage List
Quote:

Hence my point ...

M4
2+2 + bags for 4 ppl

M4 Vert
1+1 + bags for 2 ppl
or
2+2 + bags for 2 ppl
or
1+1 + bags for 4 ppl

That math only works if you are keeping the top down. You're disregarding the fact that you don't have to do that. You can keep the top up on the F83 and if you do you have 100% as much storage space as you have in the F82. So the correct way of saying it is;

F82
2+2 plus bags for 4
1+1 plus bags for 8

F83
2+2 plus bags for 4 with top up
1+1 plus bags for 8 with top up
1+1 plus bags for 6 with top down
2+2 plus bags for 2 with top down

The point is; just because you can put the top down doesn't mean you have to. If you need the luggage space - pack er up and keep the top up. The F83 gives you that flexibility. That's not a negative.

I blame Lups because of reasons.
Appreciate 1
      08-25-2015, 09:32 PM   #33
///Pip
First Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep

Quote:
That math only works if you are keeping the top down. You're disregarding the fact that you don't have to do that. You can keep the top up on the F83 and if you do you have 100% as much storage space as you have in the F82. So the correct way of saying it is;

F82
2+2 plus bags for 4
1+1 plus bags for 8

F83
2+2 plus bags for 4 with top up
1+1 plus bags for 8 with top up
1+1 plus bags for 6 with top down
2+2 plus bags for 2 with top down

The point is; just because you can put the top down doesn't mean you have to. If you need the luggage space - pack er up and keep the top up. The F83 gives you that flexibility. That's not a negative.

Yups ... agree with that actually

With good advanced planning ... VERT can work from practicality POV
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 10:23 PM   #34
JSCO
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: AMG GT

nothing like hearing that exhaust and turbos spool with the top down....its a blast!!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 12:30 AM   #35
STooK
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Heh, there's no point trying to convince people that the vert's weight penalty isn't as bad as it sounds when you actually drive it. Already been there and done that on the e9x side.

That e93 storage bag looks amazing though, I wish I had it but I don't do too many road trips in it so probably pointless for me. Cool to see that it exists though.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 03:00 AM   #36
Sinof
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M4 F83 - X5 Hybrid - Z3 MQP

IMO the VERT looks more aggressive with the top up than the coupe.
      08-27-2015, 12:57 PM   #37
Shoppingmamma70
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Garage List
2016 m4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by guarnibl View Post
There's a sharp angle difference on the 'vert vs the coupe. However, it's WAY better than a soft top, and I still think it looks sharp. You can always add a rear diffuser and small trunk spoiler to help. The transition between the rear pillar and trunk isn't as nice on the vert... it's more seamless on the coupe.

IMO, vert is worth it though. Besides, when are you staring at your car? For 5 seconds in the garage? The rest of the time you're going to be enjoying the top down That's really what it came down to for me. I can't see my car while driving it, and the looks are close enough.

The other issue is resale... the 'verts are worth less than coupes after 3 years -- I think that will continue.
Is the resale that much less? I didn't consider that.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 01:04 PM   #38
myzmak
Advocatus Douchebagus. Sex Marxist.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoppingmamma70 View Post
Hi, I'm in the market for a new m4, but can't decide on the a coupe or convertible. Does the convertible top change the exterior appearance? I want the car to still look as eye catching, and aggressive as it should, but was considering the convertible for a change of pace. I am having trouble finding any side-by-side pics of a coupe next to a convertible with it's top up to see if the appearance changes any. If any of you can give me some pros and cons to either, and supply some pics of them side-by-side I would be greatly appreciate it.
Am I the only one that is going to ask about a convertible in NFLD?

....of course you could always buy the couple and then use a moose to create a 'vert like Steve Bromley from Conche....

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/ca...of-on-your-car
      08-27-2015, 01:14 PM   #39
captainaudio
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Kelley Blue Book shows private sale price of 37,655 for a 2010 M3 Convertible and 36,551 for a 2010 M3 Coupe.

http://www.kbb.com/whats-my-car-worth/

Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 01:17 PM   #40
Shoppingmamma70
Rep

Garage List
2016 m4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post

Wow, that is awesome. I didn't know this luggage existed. One less thing to worry about. Starting to love the idea of getting a convertible. Thanks for the pics
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 01:27 PM   #41
Shoppingmamma70
Rep

Garage List
2016 m4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by myzmak View Post
Am I the only one that is going to ask about a convertible in NFLD?

....of course you could always buy the couple and then use a moose to create a 'vert like Steve Bromley from Conche....

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/ca...of-on-your-car
Haha, I guess everywhere has it's challenges, but it shouldn't stop us from trying to enjoy ourselves, no matter where we live.

I think the odds of hitting a moose are a little less likely than a deer at least. Thanks for the thought tho

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/auto...it-deer-1.aspx
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 01:35 PM   #42
guarnibl
Major
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoppingmamma70
Quote:
Originally Posted by guarnibl View Post
There's a sharp angle difference on the 'vert vs the coupe. However, it's WAY better than a soft top, and I still think it looks sharp. You can always add a rear diffuser and small trunk spoiler to help. The transition between the rear pillar and trunk isn't as nice on the vert... it's more seamless on the coupe.

IMO, vert is worth it though. Besides, when are you staring at your car? For 5 seconds in the garage? The rest of the time you're going to be enjoying the top down That's really what it came down to for me. I can't see my car while driving it, and the looks are close enough.

The other issue is resale... the 'verts are worth less than coupes after 3 years -- I think that will continue.
It's basically a grand less than coupe of equal spec when I was checking auction values.

So -- yes. That extra you pay for the convertible is gone the day you drive it off the lot.
      08-27-2015, 01:36 PM   #43
myzmak
Advocatus Douchebagus. Sex Marxist.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
Quote:
Haha, I guess everywhere has it's challenges, but it shouldn't stop us from trying to enjoy ourselves, no matter where we live.

I think the odds of hitting a moose are a little less likely than a deer at least. Thanks for the thought tho

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/auto...it-deer-1.aspx
true, but a moose will mess you up so much more.

PLUS donna the deer lady has the solution to avoid hitting deer.....

08-27-2015, 01:39 PM   #44
Devilzmantis
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, 991 Turbo S

The Coupe is more of a Fastback where the Vert is a Notchback. It's whatever you prefer. The Fastback to me at first glance makes the back look a bit bulky, but then again i started seeing different colors and mods that made it look perfect! It's whatever you prefer really.

As in performance... well yah, it's a .3 sec difference during takeoff and you will feel it in highspeed turns but barely. It's not like the old E93 vert where the weight is a HUGE performance problem because of the low torque.
Appreciate 0