proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

12-28-2014, 06:57 PM   #23
Vigilant
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cautiously fast

Already have a chip off the paint from an aberrant rock. The hood paint job is wafer thin. I have the MWM touch up paint from BMW but it will not adhere to the underlying aluminum surface. :

2022 BSM G80 Comp X-drive
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2014, 07:08 PM   #24
bigant66
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: f82 m4

Garage List
2015 f82 m4  [0.00]
I noticed the rubber trim on the sides of my windshield are faded very significantly. I've never used any product on them to cause the fade. Has anyone else experienced this?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2014, 07:13 PM   #25
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilant View Post
Already have a chip off the paint from an aberrant rock. The hood paint job is wafer thin. I have the MWM touch up paint from BMW but it will not adhere to the underlying aluminum surface. :
Prime it 1st, Or use bondo ( Almost fill it flush)then prime, paint. It won't be perfect but it something..

Have you thought about finding a professional that will correct it?

Insurance claim?

Youtube ( Search Paint Chips Repair) AmmoNYC.. Larry is a legit Pro Detailer and also makes great how to car videos
http://www.ammonyc.com/detailing/rid...-mercedes-g55/

Last edited by DocWeatherington; 12-28-2014 at 07:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2014, 07:57 PM   #26
Vigilant
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWeatherington
Quote:
Prime it 1st, Or use bondo ( Almost fill it flush)then prime, paint. It won't be perfect but it something..

Have you thought about finding a professional that will correct it?

Insurance claim?

Youtube ( Search Paint Chips Repair) AmmoNYC.. Larry is a legit Pro Detailer and also makes great how to car videos
http://www.ammonyc.com/detailing/rid...-mercedes-g55/
Thanks for the info...good video with easy to follow instructions.

Appreciate 0
      12-28-2014, 08:09 PM   #27
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks for the info...good video with easy to follow instructions.
May we

Post some before and after shots

He has all kinds of DIY videos.. An guy seems to care, and his products aren't bad either.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2014, 08:21 PM   #28
Wei718
Major
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigant66 View Post
I noticed the rubber trim on the sides of my windshield are faded very significantly. I've never used any product on them to cause the fade. Has anyone else experienced this?
Mines the same way. You can try using 303 Aerospace Protectant, it may help the dull look.
Appreciate 1
      12-28-2014, 08:47 PM   #29
bigant66
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2015 f82 m4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wei718 View Post
Mines the same way. You can try using 303 Aerospace Protectant, it may help the dull look.
Oh sweet sounds alot easier than taking it to the dealer. You said yours is the same have u tried this product?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2014, 09:08 PM   #30
Wei718
Major
Rep

Quote:
Oh sweet sounds alot easier than taking it to the dealer. You said yours is the same have u tried this product?
Yes, it works but it's not a permanent fix unfortunately.
Appreciate 1
      12-28-2014, 09:10 PM   #31
Vigilant
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wei718
Quote:
+1 on the 303 protectant. Can be used on rubber and plastic surfaces. Make sure to wipe off excess with microfiber towel. Some folks actually use it on their tire sidewalls...haven't done that yet.

Appreciate 1
      12-28-2014, 09:45 PM   #32
bigant66
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2015 f82 m4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wei718 View Post
Yes, it works but it's not a permanent fix unfortunately.
Quote:
+1 on the 303 protectant. Can be used on rubber and plastic surfaces. Make sure to wipe off excess with microfiber towel. Some folks actually use it on their tire sidewalls...haven't done that yet.
Thanks ! I'll definitely try this fix
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2014, 11:07 PM   #33
dclowd9901
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wei718
Quote:
Is it basically the same as Meguires trim restorer? I used that on my 05 mini after buying it recently and its completely transformed the fading on the trim. The car looks new from 5 feet
      12-28-2014, 11:25 PM   #34
Wei718
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclowd9901 View Post
Is it basically the same as Meguires trim restorer? I used that on my 05 mini after buying it recently and its completely transformed the fading on the trim. The car looks new from 5 feet
I don't have experience with that product but seeing it's for trims I'm sure it works the same just make sure it's okay to use for plastics and rubber.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 12:29 AM   #35
modkrazy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
True... BMW paint jobs suck

It is a big industry issue (orange peel) but BMW seems to be worse than other luxury brands in my experience.
My understanding is that the orange peel is there to provide a layer that can be abraded for minor paint repairs.

It doesn't excuse how ridiculously thin the paint is, though. I've had the hood chipped by a damn bug! Granted I hit him at about a buck fifty, but still, it's like they want us to clearbra or wrap the whole car.

In fact, I bet if they made their paint thicker, we wouldn't need the orange peel layer. Damn German efficiency.
Appreciate 1
      12-29-2014, 05:08 AM   #36
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by modkrazy View Post
My understanding is that the orange peel is there to provide a layer that can be abraded for minor paint repairs.

It doesn't excuse how ridiculously thin the paint is, though. I've had the hood chipped by a damn bug! Granted I hit him at about a buck fifty, but still, it's like they want us to clearbra or wrap the whole car.

In fact, I bet if they made their paint thicker, we wouldn't need the orange peel layer. Damn German efficiency.
Just a slight clarification. All manufacturers have some orange peel and it is NOT because they are providing a layer that can be abraded in the future if need be. That is, it is NOT intentional

Orange peel is typically the result of improper painting technique and it is generally made worse (and more difficult to manage) because of the paint formulas needed to appease environmentalists. It is caused by the quick evaporation of thinner, incorrect spray gun setup, spraying the paint at an angle other than perpendicular, or applying excessive paint. However, some companies still manage to have less orange peel visibility than others as a result of their painting process. At the end of the day, orange peel is simply uneven clear coat (i.e. it is wavy). Some companies remove orange peel manually before releasing the car (I believe this is done to limited production cars like the Viper). It is more about the clear coat than the paint itself which is why it can be removed by abrasive polishing.

After someone buys their car, a good detailer can remove the orange peel by wet sanding the car and leveling the clear coat. As you know, wet sanding, if done correctly, never gets to the paint layer and only removes a small amount of clear coat. Many new owners will have their car wet sanded to remove the orange peel to get a perfect finish.

So, if BMW wanted to they could reduce the orange peel look but they make a cost/benefit call and don't. It isn't because they are doing us some future favour in case of needing to repair the paint Think about that, why would you compromise the look of every car you sell simply to make paint correction easier on a very few cars in the future Clear coat can, and is, able to be applied without the wavy orange peel look and you can still perform minor repairs to the clear coat that doesn't have orange peel through abrasive polishing, etc if need be.

Every car I have owned has had some level of orange peel but BMW are generally the most visible. My C63 was pretty good and was one of the best of any car I've owned.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3

Last edited by gthal; 12-29-2014 at 06:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 12:01 PM   #37
JS919
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinh335 View Post
That's why I said per se... It goes away w a drive.. So while it's technically rust it's not like a rusty old bumper eating away at the car, which seems to be what the op is getting at...I had a feeling the literal police would be out in full force as soon as I wrote it.
Excuse me Mr. Literal Policeman,
Your statements are kind of funny seeings how the reason I said anything is because you were the one correcting the OP and letting the guy know that it wasn't really rust. Even though I'm quite sure he already knew that it wasn't like a rusty bumper and more just a coating rust on the rotor. Maybe you need to look at what you write yourself and the way you respond to others before jumping on someone else.

The truth of the matter it is rust per se. No it's not like a flaking rusty old piece of iron that has weathered for years, but the none the less it's rust. Anyone with a decent set of eyes can figure that out without your guidance.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 12:27 PM   #38
DBACE
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 LCI

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [10.00]
2005 CBR1000RR  [10.00]
1995 ST1100  [9.00]
2009 Camry Hybrid  [0.00]
Post Cadmium you Say??

Quote:
Originally Posted by eMvy View Post
I completely understand where the OP is coming from, and to that point, I've never understood why BMW doesn't use cadmium plating, at least on the M cars.

Sure it won't prevent rust on the rotors surface, but that's never been an issue that can't be fixed with braking once or twice. It's the rust that builds up in the non-contact areas, that drives me crazy. Washing the wheels again from rust drips, after I've washed them already, is a pain.
Have you seen the consequences of cadmium? I worked on a project to rid the ships I work on of the cadmium coated connector back shells, bodies, ect.. The stuff is amazing at preserving, but equally amazing at desimating the human body. I believe the option of ceramic is best, but simply will not pay the high price to rid myself of the visual mess oxidizing steel offers the senses.
      12-29-2014, 09:21 PM   #39
Dinh335
Major
Rep
Drives: 2004 RX8/2015 M3/2017 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS919 View Post
Excuse me Mr. Literal Policeman,
Your statements are kind of funny seeings how the reason I said anything is because you were the one correcting the OP and letting the guy know that it wasn't really rust. Even though I'm quite sure he already knew that it wasn't like a rusty bumper and more just a coating rust on the rotor. Maybe you need to look at what you write yourself and the way you respond to others before jumping on someone else.

The truth of the matter it is rust per se. No it's not like a flaking rusty old piece of iron that has weathered for years, but the none the less it's rust. Anyone with a decent set of eyes can figure that out without your guidance.
Why are you so mad? Find me anywhere where I was attacking anyone? Two happy faces and you're still upset. Congrats on being angry for nothing . You win this internet battle and I hereby congratulate you in virtual toughness ! Sleep better tonight.
      01-08-2015, 06:00 PM   #40
eMvy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBACE View Post
Have you seen the consequences of cadmium? I worked on a project to rid the ships I work on of the cadmium coated connector back shells, bodies, ect.. The stuff is amazing at preserving, but equally amazing at desimating the human body. I believe the option of ceramic is best, but simply will not pay the high price to rid myself of the visual mess oxidizing steel offers the senses.
I never have, and you likely bring up a solid point - I've just never known capitalism to get in the way of destroying things, including people, if it delivers a better product.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 08:06 PM   #41
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

If the rotors are floating type then the hats are aluminum and shouldn't rust. The disc itself will oxidize but that is nothing. Some light brake will rub it right off.
Appreciate 0