GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3 / M4 Photos and Videos

12-28-2014, 06:37 PM   #287
Jay1994
Banned
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money2536
I made another video of the Akra Exhaust. I'll make one more at my new video spot in the next few weeks. There more room to run at the other place. It's just 30 minutes from my house. I wanted to get something up, so I went out to my old spot on Sunday at dusk.

I'm a huge fan of the Akra in Sport Mode driving around town. So under say 6,000 RPMs the car sound really, really good. Revving the car in the garage sounds awesome. Above 6K, Akra and OEM make me cringe. I'm not sure anyone is going to be able to address the awful sound and farting the S55 makes at higher RPMs. I guess it's good that it sounds worse in the car than outside.

I never, ever drive in Comfort mode but had a few people ask me to include some sound bites. It basically sounds like stock.

I'm pretty certain I won't have this exhaust forever, but I like it enough to keep for a while.

Sounds good! (Sans the farts...) it sounds intoxicating with downpipes included, but that may be too loud for most
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2014, 06:38 PM   #288
Money2536
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3 | 992 GT3 Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1994 View Post
Sounds good! (Sans the farts...) it sounds intoxicating with downpipes included, but that may be too loud for most
I'm thinking I'll do downpipes in a few months. I'll probably do Akra ones with Awron Gauge to address the CEL.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2014, 06:45 PM   #289
Jay1994
Banned
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1994 View Post
I'm thinking I'll do downpipes in a few months. I'll probably do Akra ones with Awron Gauge to address the CEL.
Let me know when you want to pull the trigger. I can hook you up with both
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2014, 06:53 PM   #290
zhoffman9
Hoffy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Audi RS5 | 2015 BMW M3

Congrats! Welcome.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2014, 07:15 PM   #291
Alen E90
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328i TiAg

I loved the vid and your car sounds soooo much better in sport than in comfort.
Thanks for sharing!

TiAg FTW!
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2014, 11:05 PM   #292
Gac101177
M4-SAHD
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
I made another video of the Akra Exhaust. I'll make one more at my new video spot in the next few weeks. There is more room to run at the other place. The problem is that it's 30 minutes from my house. I wanted to get something up, so I went out to my old spot on Sunday at dusk.

I'm a huge fan of the Akra in Sport Mode driving around town. So under say 6,000 RPMs the car sound really, really good. Revving the car in the garage sounds awesome. Above 6K, Akra and OEM make me cringe. I'm not sure anyone is going to be able to address the awful sound and farting the S55 makes at higher RPMs. I guess it's good that it sounds worse in the car than outside.

I never, ever drive in Comfort mode but had a few people ask me to include some sound bites. It basically sounds like stock.

I'm pretty certain I won't have this exhaust forever, but I like it enough to keep for a while.

Thanks for the video bro, I think you are having to much fun I could see it on your face as you run to get the camera.
Have fun and enjoy your 2 beautiful cars.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2014, 11:10 PM   #293
tooch
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Nice cars!! How much would you say that stock muffler section weighs? Ballpark would be cool.

96 E31 JB
07 E92 AW
F82 BSM
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2014, 11:53 PM   #294
Blindside_137
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 SSII E90 M3 ZCP

Great new vids. The akra sounds very nice and I like the deep tones in the garage vid.

I agree as you mentioned down low it's awesome. But the sharp cracks and farts at high rpm are fairly displeasing.

Thanks so much for the updates.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 07:08 AM   #295
Money2536
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooch View Post
Nice cars!! How much would you say that stock muffler section weighs? Ballpark would be cool.
It is surprisingly heavy. I would guess 80-90 lbs.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 07:10 AM   #296
Money2536
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gac101177 View Post
Thanks for the video bro, I think you are having to much fun I could see it on your face as you run to get the camera.
Have fun and enjoy your 2 beautiful cars.
I left that part in the video. I had my typical nervous chuckle as I ran out of there.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 07:35 AM   #297
Gac101177
M4-SAHD
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
That it's awesome bro maybe one day we can meet at a CC and heard them side by side for now I'll keep it stock I did the flop mod to it an it sounds a little better, until I can listen to some of them in person I really like the Active Autowerkers but will like to listen to it in person, great job recording a good video of the sound.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 09:03 AM   #298
Money2536
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gac101177 View Post
That it's awesome bro maybe one day we can meet at a CC and heard them side by side for now I'll keep it stock I did the flop mod to it an it sounds a little better, until I can listen to some of them in person I really like the Active Autowerkers but will like to listen to it in person, great job recording a good video of the sound.
I have a feeling I'll end up with the AA as well. I want also want to hear what Dinan comes up with.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 03:33 PM   #299
Tornrider
Private
Rep
Drives: 2002 E46 M3

Disappointing sound of the F8x even with Akra. Tells you how awesome a N/A motor is especially when you compare the sound of your GT3 to the F8x.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 09:47 PM   #300
Money2536
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornrider View Post
Disappointing sound of the F8x even with Akra. Tells you how awesome a N/A motor is especially when you compare the sound of your GT3 to the F8x.
Yep...

I really like the sound it makes at lower RPMs which is where I spend most of my time. But it really sucks to have to cringe when I should be smiling while driving more aggressively.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 11:21 AM   #301
Krish_1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 IR F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money2536 View Post
Yep...

But it really sucks to have to cringe when I should be smiling while driving more aggressively.
Money, I've been following your thread for a while, my F80 build is pretty similar to yours (no CCBs, and blk interior on mine), and I find your videos and posts very helpful, so thanks for that.

I have seen you go from being super thrilled about your M3 to now looking at it as a throw away car, and cringing while driving aggressively. Can I ask that you expand on both a little bit? I am sure I'm not the only one that follows your posts, and for those of us that are looking forward to our new cars, it would be good to know the "why" behind it. I am not looking for an argumentative thread, so even if you could PM me your loose thoughts, it would be much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 04:22 PM   #302
Money2536
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krish_1 View Post
Money, I've been following your thread for a while, my F80 build is pretty similar to yours (no CCBs, and blk interior on mine), and I find your videos and posts very helpful, so thanks for that.

I have seen you go from being super thrilled about your M3 to now looking at it as a throw away car, and cringing while driving aggressively. Can I ask that you expand on both a little bit? I am sure I'm not the only one that follows your posts, and for those of us that are looking forward to our new cars, it would be good to know the "why" behind it. I am not looking for an argumentative thread, so even if you could PM me your loose thoughts, it would be much appreciated.
Sure man. Let me see if I can explain it. Don't get me wrong, I really like my M3. I just don't love it. I loved my S2000, my E92 M3, my C2S. I hated my B8 S4. I would put the F80 in the middle.

Rolling down the road or in photos the F80 looks better than any car I've ever seen. I like the looks better than my GT3. The interior is pretty great too. So in the looks department I really love it.

The weird thing is BMW gave us everything we could have asked for. It's lighter, has massive torque, and is faster than most anything on the road. In past models, we've always had to make excuses why our M3 wasn't the fastest or best handling but it still the best all around car.

So why doesn't the F80 feel special to me? I think a lot of it has to do with the sound it makes. It doesn't sound terrible but is very odd. Odd to the point that I find myself constantly trying to figure out if I like it or hate it. It's hard to explain. I find the spooling and whistling of the turbos very appealing. The car almost sounds like a turbo but comes a little short. The biggest problem is the farting at high RPMs. If I didn't know any better, I would think something was broken. It doesn't inspire me to take the car to redline.

The power delivery is also very foreign to me. I'm not saying it's bad. I'm just not used to it. Growing up through the car guys ranks, I came through the Honda channel. I never had a Mustang, Evo/WRX, Supra or other high horsepower car. I always had the high revving, linear power delivery type cars, Civic Si, RSX, S2000. These cars were never the fastest, but certainly inspired winding out and using the full RPM range. I think that has shaped my car preference. Torque is cool and I always found myself wishing I had it. Now that I do, it's almost as if I don't now what to do with it.

I hope I'm making some sense. I'm not disappointed. I don't plan on getting rid of the car. I'm just don't have the feeling in the pit of my stomach like I had with my E92 M3. I'm sitting here with my wife on the couch watching AZ/Boise St., and told her what I was trying to explain. She doesn't know squat about cars. I explained to her that the F80 is miles faster than the E92. She gave me a look and said, "There is now way." I explained that the F80 destroys the E92. She said, "But your Blue M3 felt like such a beast. I love your new White one because it's bigger and super comfortable." I think that may explain my thoughts best.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 06:43 PM   #303
Krish_1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So why doesn't the F80 feel special to me? I think a lot of it has to do with the sound it makes. It doesn't sound terrible but is very odd. Odd to the point that I find myself constantly trying to figure out if I like it or hate it. It's hard to explain. I find the spooling and whistling of the turbos very appealing. The car almost sounds like a turbo but comes a little short. The biggest problem is the farting at high RPMs. If I didn't know any better, I would think something was broken. It doesn't inspire me to take the car to redline.

The power delivery is also very foreign to me. I'm not saying it's bad. I'm just not used to it. Growing up through the car guys ranks, I came through the Honda channel. I never had a Mustang, Evo/WRX, Supra or other high horsepower car. I always had the high revving, linear power delivery type cars, Civic Si, RSX, S2000. These cars were never the fastest, but certainly inspired winding out and using the full RPM range. I think that has shaped my car preference. Torque is cool and I always found myself wishing I had it. Now that I do, it's almost as if I don't now what to do with it.

I hope I'm making some sense. I'm not disappointed. I don't plan on getting rid of the car. I'm just don't have the feeling in the pit of my stomach like I had with my E92 M3. I'm sitting here with my wife on the couch watching AZ/Boise St., and told her what I was trying to explain. She doesn't know squat about cars. I explained to her that the F80 is miles faster than the E92. She gave me a look and said, "There is now way." I explained that the F80 destroys the E92. She said, "But your Blue M3 felt like such a beast. I love your new White one because it's bigger and super comfortable." I think that may explain my thoughts best.
Thanks for taking the time to explain your thoughts, and please extend my thanks to your wife...for being more succinct than you haha.

I have to say, I am relieved after seeing your comments. I come to the M3 after having owned two 3000GT VR4s, a Supra, a 335i and so on. So, pretty much all turbo cars since 1998. I test drove the M3 expecting more of the same, and walked away smiling ear to ear and ordered one two days later. It felt different to me than the other turbo cars I have owned, more refined, lesser lag etc. I am not discounting your opinion on this subject, but it's one of the things I was happy with after my test drive, especially when compared to my previous turbo cars, so I'm good there!

As for the sound, I have no basis to form an opinion yet. My only experience with it was the test drive and I didn't focus on the sound all that much.

Thanks again, and a happy new year!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 06:52 PM   #304
Money2536
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for taking the time to explain your thoughts, and please extend my thanks to your wife...for being more succinct than you haha.

I have to say, I am relieved after seeing your comments. I come to the M3 after having owned two 3000GT VR4s, a Supra, a 335i and so on. So, pretty much all turbo cars since 1998. I test drove the M3 expecting more of the same, and walked away smiling ear to ear and ordered one two days later. It felt different to me than the other turbo cars I have owned, more refined, lesser lag etc. I am not discounting your opinion on this subject, but it's one of the things I was happy with after my test drive, especially when compared to my previous turbo cars, so I'm good there!

As for the sound, I have no basis to form an opinion yet. My only experience with it was the test drive and I didn't focus on the sound all that much.

Thanks again, and a happy new year!
VR4? One of my best friends was a VR4 guy. His dad still has one. It is still the fastest I've ever been in a car at 167 mph on the PA turnpike. He was/is a psycho. From your path, I'm guessing you are going to love the F80. Very little lag and much more linear power curve than your previous cars.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 11:22 PM   #305
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

Interesting you think the M3 looks better than the GT3... I feel like both cars can look different depending on the color. No doubt the white GT3 looks awesome, but I'm not a fan of a red one. I wouldn't have thought the blue would look good, but i like it And for the M3, I actually think it can pull off any of the current color offerings from BMW pretty well, moreso than the M4.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2015, 09:43 PM   #306
Krish_1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
VR4? One of my best friends was a VR4 guy. His dad still has one. It is still the fastest I've ever been in a car at 167 mph on the PA turnpike. He was/is a psycho. From your path, I'm guessing you are going to love the F80. Very little lag and much more linear power curve than your previous cars.
Yeah, the VR4s with their AWD/AWS were fun to drive!

How's the Mineral White btw? Still liking it?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2015, 10:08 PM   #307
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

always love childhood car crush stories ! Wow that gt3 looks awesome
      01-02-2015, 05:55 AM   #308
Money2536
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, the VR4s with their AWD/AWS were fun to drive!

How's the Mineral White btw? Still liking it?
It's one of my favorite parts of the car. I think it's the best paint BMW has ever produced. Just hope I don't ever have to paint match it.
Appreciate 0