Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

12-09-2017, 03:41 PM   #1
abnorM4l
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: n/a

Remus catback exhaust DIY

Somewhat of a diy and a review of the Remus catback exhaust non-res.

Let's start with the review first:

I have been searching for an exhaust for some time and like many enthusiasts spent countless hours on youtube listening to exhaust videos trying to figure out which one i liked best (personal preference). I finally narrowed it to three: Akrapovic, Remus and AWE.

I had an opportunity to hear the AWE in person and it sounded great, no doubt, but just was not a fan of the tips they offered (personal taste), and was looking for something a bit more "sexy". The akrapovic videos and reviews have had nothing but compliments and the weight savings would be worth it. For me just could not get over the price tag and i'm not building a racecar so weight savings was not something i cared much about. Last but not least, Remus. Ever since i saw the 102mm CF tips, deep down i knew i wanted to have it. They're just so damn sexy!!! The online videos also made it appealing (sound wise). And after installing mine, i can confirm the car sounds so much better! Remus also has the flexibility of having valves open/closed as needed which is a big plus. If you hate your neighbors leave the valves open

The packaging of the exhaust was solid and arrived without any damages. Install instructions are not the greatest but straightforward to figure for anyone that knows how to use ratchet wrench (righty tighty, lefty loosey).

Here are a few pictures:

Now onto the instructions/guidelines. This process is definitely easier with 2 people. Not sure I would have been able to get it done without the extra set of hands. Ensure the flaps are open on the exhaust before turning the car off and starting removal.

Jack up the car safely. I do not have a lift (which would be the best option) but a couple of ramps and jacks help. I lifted up the front (both sides simultaneously) and slid the ramps under the front tires.

Then lifted the rears. Also, place jack stands, one each side on the middle/back as a safety precaution. Lifts are supposed to only be for lifting the car.

Once lifted, here is the stock exhaust removed indicating the tools needed and what/where to remove. The biggest pain was the two top nuts where the catback attaches to the down pipes. But with some patience and alcohol you'll make it through. Also, remember that the stock exhaust is heavy and another jack is need below to help support while the last nuts are removed.

Save everything you remove as everything needs to be re-used with the new exhaust. Depending on your car mileage, you may also need (2) gaskets where the catback attaches to downpipes. I believe they're around $20/each.

Here's the remus exhaust. Quality and craftsmanship is top notch. I'm very happy with the product. Granted no one will be able to see it as it's under the car, but well worth it (in my opinion).

It comes in three pieces. Start with the pipe connecting to downpipes. This requires some wiggling back and forth to get in with the gaskets.

Then the midpipe goes in. Slide it into the first pipe but do not tighten as you may need to slightly move it depending on alignment with the muffler/tips. After relocating the can/flap modules from stock to remus, get the muffler installed. Then the tips go in. The tips take a few minute to adjust so they are symmetric. I'm a bit anal so i spent about 30 minutes trying to get it perfect.

Here's the final installed shot:

I'll try to do a video soon as well but videos do not this exhaust justice!!

Thanks for reading. Happy modding

P.S. i'm working with a vendor that may be able to offer group buy pricing on remus exhausts depending on how many folks are interested. I'll make another post in the for sale section if anyone is interested.

Last edited by abnorM4l; 12-09-2017 at 07:06 PM..
Appreciate 3
      12-09-2017, 05:57 PM   #2
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

how long did it take you....great write up btw
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2017, 06:59 PM   #3
abnorM4l
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
how long did it take you....great write up btw
Thank you! It took about 4 hrs start to finish. 1hr of that was spent lifting the car (safely) both ends, getting out all the tools and heading to the hardware store to grab a socket extender and multipoint adapter halfway thru

I was also going a bit slow removing and re-installing the flap controller module to ensure those worked correctly, but could probably get this done in 2 or 2.5 hrs.

Last edited by abnorM4l; 12-09-2017 at 07:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2017, 07:09 PM   #4
abnorM4l
Second Lieutenant
Rep

link of a quick video is here:

follow me on insta @abnrm4l
Appreciate 1
AND1_M369.00
      11-15-2018, 06:06 PM   #5
overlook637
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by abnorM4l View Post

...Now onto the instructions/guidelines. This process is definitely easier with 2 people. Not sure I would have been able to get it done without the extra set of hands. Ensure the flaps are open on the exhaust before turning the car off and starting removal.
d.....
I had my car coded with flaps open. I didn't verify flap position before removal. Now after install I have a quite car with no flaps opening.

Any suggestion?
Appreciate 0