Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

03-18-2018, 12:26 PM   #1
Racing Instructor
Private
Rep
Drives: M4 Tuned

F82 Lost Traffic in Nav

The software in my M4 was updated to the latest version this last week and now I can't receive Sirius Traffic anymore. The Sirius radio channels work fine. I f I select "traffic messages" it says there are none and none are showing on the nav unit. Has anyone had that issue after a software update? Any suggestions?

Thanks guys

Ray
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 08:55 AM   #2
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racing Instructor View Post
The software in my M4 was updated to the latest version this last week and now I can't receive Sirius Traffic anymore. The Sirius radio channels work fine. I f I select "traffic messages" it says there are none and none are showing on the nav unit. Has anyone had that issue after a software update? Any suggestions?

Thanks guys

Ray
MY M4 and M/D/Y when was it first put into service?

You speaking of the audio traffic channel or the on-screen display traffic?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 02:57 PM   #3
Racing Instructor
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
MY M4 and M/D/Y when was it first put into service?

You speaking of the audio traffic channel or the on-screen display traffic?
2015 and first in service date is 1/26/2015.

I am referring to the traffic on the nav, both in marked routes and the traffic messages. Neither show up. Trouble shooting with Sirius showed that traffic is turned but nav doesn't receive it. Sirius radio is playing without issues.

Software for the car was updated with the latest and greatest last week Monday.

Dealer points to BMW Genius to solve but I have not seen one that does the title justice.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 05:41 PM   #4
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Isn’t traffic free for three years then you have to subscribe? Did the subscription coincidentally run out around the same time as the software update?
      03-19-2018, 06:10 PM   #5
Racing Instructor
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Isn’t traffic free for three years then you have to subscribe? Did the subscription coincidentally run out around the same time as the software update?
I subscribed to that and Sirius tells me it is active. I don't think it is coincidental because before the software update it was working and after it is not. If that were coincidence I should go buy a lottery ticket..much better odds I think
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 07:15 PM   #6
M4Now!
Captain
Rep
Drives: MG / SO F83

Quote:
Quote:
IsnÂ’t traffic free for three years then you have to subscribe? Did the subscription coincidentally run out around the same time as the software update?
I subscribed to that and Sirius tells me it is active. I don't think it is coincidental because before the software update it was working and after it is not. If that were coincidence I should go buy a lottery ticket..much better odds I think
Isn't it part of Connected Drive? This just happened to me, and I had to re-up.

Cheers

Bye bye E93 M3 - Hello F83 M4!
Appreciate 1
IK6SPEED4488.00
      03-19-2018, 08:04 PM   #7
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
2015 and first in service date is 1/26/2015.

I am referring to the traffic on the nav, both in marked routes and the traffic messages. Neither show up. Trouble shooting with Sirius showed that traffic is turned but nav doesn't receive it. Sirius radio is playing without issues.

Software for the car was updated with the latest and greatest last week Monday.

Dealer points to BMW Genius to solve but I have not seen one that does the title justice.
It’s connected Drive.

Sirius has a service you might be paying for (which is why I asked about the Srius traffic service audio), but you aren’t paying for what you car uses iirc.

Quote:
Yep.

That’s why I asked about date in service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4Now! View Post
Isn't it part of Connected Drive? This just happened to me, and I had to re-up.

Cheers
Exactly
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 10:17 PM   #8
Racing Instructor
Private
Rep

Traffic

I subscribed to Sirius as a paying customer: It was working before the update and now it is not.

Still don't have a clue why it isn't working and dealer not helping much.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 10:26 PM   #9
CenCal X3M Comp
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3M Comp

Garage List
2018 BMW M4  [0.00]
IF you are talking about RTTI, you can have traffic information and not have Sirius. I believe it has nothing to do with Sirius. You may be paying for a service that is not compatible with your car since it uses other means for the data.

https://www.bmwusa.com/content/dam/b.../FAQ_ARTTI.PDF
Appreciate 1
IK6SPEED4488.00
      03-20-2018, 02:26 AM   #10
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenCal M4 View Post
IF you are talking about RTTI, you can have traffic information and not have Sirius. I believe it has nothing to do with Sirius. You may be paying for a service that is not compatible with your car since it uses other means for the data.

https://www.bmwusa.com/content/dam/b.../FAQ_ARTTI.PDF
Yes. Tried to explain that to OP. He is not listening.

BMW does not use SiriusXM Traffic.

The OP could not even receive the info as it is only broadcast from the XM Satellites, not the Sirius Satellites (not enough bandwidth). The BMWs did not change from the Sirius chipset to XM Chipset until MY 2016 (Another reason I asked what MY he had first off).

Essentially the OP is paying for a premium TV Cable Channel and not having the ability to receive it. It’s like paying for Directv 4K Service when you do not have a 4K TV. You are paying for the service and the company is transmitting it to you, you just don’t have the equipment to receive the 4K channels. The Company is happy to take your money and keep sending, even though you cannot use it.

BMW RTTI is supplied via Cellular and FM HD Radio. That is why Connected Drive is required, not a SiriusXM Traffic Subscription.

His initial free subscription expired in January and the unit was obviously given a 60 day grace period. The unit was authorized and timing out when he flashed the unit. The flash lost the authorization and did not receive a new authorization as his Connected Drive Subscription had expired.

The flash just hastened the process of RTTI subscription expiring anyway.

If he will call the BMW 800 number below, subscribe to the BMW Connected Drive and RTTI Service, he can get it turned on in 5 minutes.
Attached Images

Last edited by IK6SPEED; 03-20-2018 at 02:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 10:34 AM   #11
Racing Instructor
Private
Rep

Quote:
Yes. Tried to explain that to OP. He is not listening.

OP is listening, just not understanding since dealer said it is Sirius that I need to contact, hence also dealer sicced a genius on me to not help.

BMW does not use SiriusXM Traffic.

You're right, they use their own system and I re-upped it.

The OP could not even receive the info as it is only broadcast from the XM Satellites, not the Sirius Satellites (not enough bandwidth). The BMWs did not change from the Sirius chipset to XM Chipset until MY 2016 (Another reason I asked what MY he had first off).

Essentially the OP is paying for a premium TV Cable Channel and not having the ability to receive it. It’s like paying for Directv 4K Service when you do not have a 4K TV. You are paying for the service and the company is transmitting it to you, you just don’t have the equipment to receive the 4K channels. The Company is happy to take your money and keep sending, even though you cannot use it.

That's right and Sirius has refunded it.

BMW RTTI is supplied via Cellular and FM HD Radio. That is why Connected Drive is required, not a SiriusXM Traffic Subscription.

His initial free subscription expired in January and the unit was obviously given a 60 day grace period. The unit was authorized and timing out when he flashed the unit. The flash lost the authorization and did not receive a new authorization as his Connected Drive Subscription had expired.

The flash just hastened the process of RTTI subscription expiring anyway.

If he will call the BMW 800 number below, subscribe to the BMW Connected Drive and RTTI Service, he can get it turned on in 5 minutes.
I did call BMW and they will turn it on when their system is back up.

Thanks guys for your help!
Appreciate 1
IK6SPEED4488.00
      03-20-2018, 10:57 AM   #12
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Still don't have a clue why it isn't working and dealer not helping much.
Because Dealer makes no money on these renewals and therefore has little incentive to troubleshoot or understand the issue.

As you are in Tampa, are you talking Reeves?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 12:08 PM   #13
Racing Instructor
Private
Rep

Quote:
Because Dealer makes no money on these renewals and therefore has little incentive to troubleshoot or understand the issue.

As you are in Tampa, are you talking Reeves?
Yes, Reeves. For F82 and 991S.
Appreciate 0