BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

09-11-2016, 07:35 AM   #45
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDare View Post
I installed the hitch on my F33 myself and have had nothing but great results, including after I installed an M Performance rear diffuser.

The hitch, when inserted, does sit a little close to the ground. I scraped it once coming out of a parking lot too fast. Now I just leave that part off the car unless I'm using the bike rack.
I've been considering the hitch for my F30 335i for a while now, but haven't pulled the trigger because I was concerned about clearance for my M Performance rear diffuser. (The rep on the phone indicated that they thought I would need to cut down the center diffuser fin for clearance.) I figured there might be a way to avoid cutting, but it's great to hear someone has already successfully made it work with the diffuser... so how did you do it?
      09-11-2016, 10:27 PM   #46
DoubleDare
Rep
Drives: 16 435i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC View Post
I've been considering the hitch for my F30 335i for a while now, but haven't pulled the trigger because I was concerned about clearance for my M Performance rear diffuser. (The rep on the phone indicated that they thought I would need to cut down the center diffuser fin for clearance.) I figured there might be a way to avoid cutting, but it's great to hear someone has already successfully made it work with the diffuser... so how did you do it?
I installed the Invisihitch before I added the diffuser.

When I installed the diffuser, everything seemed to go as described in the instructions and various postings.

That said, I haven't compared my diffuser install to others.

The very end of the center fin is flush up against the Invisihitch and causes some minor interference with the hinged hatch that covers the socket when the hitch isn't installed. But not enough to prevent the hatch from swinging open or shut.

I thought about trimming the very end of the center fin a little. A dremel would do it, and it's far enough under the car that I don't think anyone could ever see it.

But so far, it hasn't seemed necessary. . .

I used the hitch again today and very nearly interrupted my bike ride when I saw someone loading a road bike into the back seat of a 435i convertible. . . 'it doesn't have to be that way, really!'
Appreciate 1
DVC558.00
      11-16-2016, 02:06 PM   #47
2nd Childhood
Rep
Drives: BMW 2019 M5 Competition

I installed the Invisihitch on my 2015 F80. I ended up just removing the metal heat shield piece at the end of the car, because after I tried trimming it per instructions, there was not much left. I have the Dinan catback exhaust. I installed a heat shield from Heatshield Products over the back half of the Dinan muffler to lower the temperature down to minimize the chance of getting a burn hitching up the trailer. I did a quick neighborhood run to check the heat differential. The unshielded area of the muffler measure 126 degrees. At the new heat shield the temperature was 78 degrees.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 07:56 PM   #48
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep
Drives: 2022 Mercedes EQS 450+

Interestingly, I emailed Invisihitch in Georgia for info just this morning, and early this afternoon I got an email back from Steve Nance, a representative of the firm. He says they have modified the hitch to fit the M4 without muffler clearance issues, and the new version will be available by January 2017, or perhaps earlier. I, for one, will be installing one when that modified hitch is available.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 12:06 AM   #49
humbertin0
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlothery View Post
Interestingly, I emailed Invisihitch in Georgia for info just this morning, and early this afternoon I got an email back from Steve Nance, a representative of the firm. He says they have modified the hitch to fit the M4 without muffler clearance issues, and the new version will be available by January 2017, or perhaps earlier. I, for one, will be installing one when that modified hitch is available.
Many thanks for the update. I'll wait for the revised hitch.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2016, 06:42 PM   #50
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Why wait?
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1277653
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2016, 12:16 AM   #51
humbertin0
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehagerty View Post

Thanks for the tip. I had already looked through your thread and I appreciate the pictures and information on there. I was going to order the same curt hitch next spring; however, I'm considering waiting because it seems like invisihitch is developing a hitch which won't require any custom grinding/modification to avoid clearance issues.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2016, 12:42 AM   #52
babraham
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 Tanz 6MT // E30 M3

Quote:
I am thinking of going the same route as you and ordering the Curt.

My new M3 has the ZCP but won't have the MPE...did your clearance issues only arise due to the MPE shape? So there might not be any grinding required for a non-MPE car?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2016, 05:20 AM   #53
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by babraham View Post
I am thinking of going the same route as you and ordering the Curt.

My new M3 has the ZCP but won't have the MPE...did your clearance issues only arise due to the MPE shape? So there might not be any grinding required for a non-MPE car?
The clearance issues were due to a improperly installed MPE, it was positioned to far rearward. I cut the forward pipes a bit more and moved it forward per BMW specs and have plenty of room.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2016, 11:04 AM   #54
babraham
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
The clearance issues were due to a improperly installed MPE, it was positioned to far rearward. I cut the forward pipes a bit more and moved it forward per BMW specs and have plenty of room.
Ah cool.

Thanks for posting your install thread!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 09:39 PM   #55
Harveyd396
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 , MT, Mineral White

Trailer Hitch Possiblities

Is it at all possible to install a trailer hitch on a 2016 M3? I know it is a little crazy, but it would be fun to travel with a small airstream Basecamp trailer across country trip. The trailer weights 2600 lbs and only needs a class 1 hitch.
Any ideas?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 11:56 PM   #56
Warranty P
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harveyd396 View Post
Is it at all possible to install a trailer hitch on a 2016 M3? I know it is a little crazy, but it would be fun to travel with a small airstream Basecamp trailer across country trip. The trailer weights 2600 lbs and only needs a class 1 hitch.
Any ideas?
It's no problem, many people have done it already. Just go to a camper/truck shop and tell them you need class 1 hitch installed and that's it.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 11:57 PM   #57
babraham
Private First Class
Rep

Yes, for sure! I just installed mine last weekend in my garage. Took a couple hours and I didn't need to trim anything other than the rearmost heatshield...fit like a champ!

Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 09:55 AM   #58
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harveyd396 View Post
Any ideas?
I said this in a different post, but the Curt 11367 hitch, which is the one most of us have installed is only rated 200/2000 lbs, so your 2600 lb trailer would be....bad. It would probably work, but you would be risking damage to your subframe.
      01-19-2017, 10:09 AM   #59
starbai
PPRSWCE
Guyana
Rep
Drives: 18 Tanzanite Blue F80 ZCP

Anyone know what that heatshield would cost from bMW to replace? My F80 will be leased and I dont want to do any 'permanent' modifications. If I gotta cut that heatshield okay, but I would then likely have to replace it before I turn in the lease, no?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 11:21 AM   #60
Mantvis
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 YMB M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbai View Post
Anyone know what that heatshield would cost from bMW to replace? My F80 will be leased and I dont want to do any 'permanent' modifications. If I gotta cut that heatshield okay, but I would then likely have to replace it before I turn in the lease, no?
I don't think they would notice it
      01-19-2017, 01:38 PM   #61
drroc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 - 6MT

Quote:
Yes, for sure! I just installed mine last weekend in my garage. Took a couple hours and I didn't need to trim anything other than the rearmost heatshield...fit like a champ!

How much trimming did you have to do and does the bottom of the hitch touch the painted part of the bumper?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 12:41 AM   #62
babraham
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drroc View Post
How much trimming did you have to do and does the bottom of the hitch touch the painted part of the bumper?
Trimmed the heatshield on the sides (where the hitch bolts onto the bumper) and the middle. Not a significant amount, but I took my time with that as I didn't want to cut too much. In the youtube video from eTrailer that I watched for installation, they completely left the rearmost heatshield piece off during re-assembly.

The hitch touches the very bottom/back of the little piece that goes between the two muffler exhausts, but does not touch the painted area of it. I would say it fits perfectly, as it touches enough to keep it from rattling, but doesn't hit it so hard that would make me want to trim it.

I would recommend the Curt hitch if you're going that route...works perfectly for my bike rack!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 09:14 AM   #63
starbai
PPRSWCE
Guyana
Rep
Drives: 18 Tanzanite Blue F80 ZCP

Quote:
Trimmed the heatshield on the sides (where the hitch bolts onto the bumper) and the middle. Not a significant amount, but I took my time with that as I didn't want to cut too much. In the youtube video from eTrailer that I watched for installation, they completely left the rearmost heatshield piece off during re-assembly.

The hitch touches the very bottom/back of the little piece that goes between the two muffler exhausts, but does not touch the painted area of it. I would say it fits perfectly, as it touches enough to keep it from rattling, but doesn't hit it so hard that would make me want to trim it.

I would recommend the Curt hitch if you're going that route...works perfectly for my bike rack!
By any chance, got a link to the video? I can't find it on the etrailer youtube channel.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 05:34 PM   #64
babraham
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbai View Post
By any chance, got a link to the video? I can't find it on the etrailer youtube channel.
Here it is:

The video is for a normal 3-series, but the majority of it was the same, except for the bolts around the muffler(s). I skipped the entire part about removing the muffler mounts to get more room for removing the heatshield as well...I was able to get in there and remove the bolts for the heatshield...didn't need to lower the muffler at all.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 03:24 AM   #65
Harveyd396
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 , MT, Mineral White

This is the trailer coach I'm considering, it is an airstream basecamp. It weighs 2800 loaded with fresh water and has a GVRW of 3500 lbs. I plan to use the invisi-hitch which supposively has a GVRW of 3500 lbs. I'm also going to use a wireless trailer brake controller to activate the brakes on the trailer. The basecamp has a tongue weight of 400 lbs, i feel this is too much. By adding and shifting weight aft I think this can be reduced to 200 lbs. Does this all make sense or am I dreaming? there is no information about this project any where. this pic is the setup.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 07:08 AM   #66
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

Sure, you CAN do it, but....it is not a great idea. Even if the invisihitch is truly rated to 3500 (which I doubt, based on the other hitches out there that fit the F8x), you are still at the max rating.

Likely what will happen is that this will work for a couple thousand miles, and then one day, far from home, towing your too heavy trailer, you'll break something, possibly on your car. You'll be stranded, and insurance might not even pay out because you are doing something you shouldn't be doing.

Good luck nonetheless.