R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

08-08-2017, 08:23 PM   #23
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
Extra HP could be BS though.
BS? Why? ZCP has definitely different software with more hp.... but feel free to call it BS.
Appreciate 1
terahertz162.50
      08-08-2017, 08:26 PM   #24
VF-Engineering
Major
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

In the aftermarket world, "flashing" and "coding" are two different processes
with very different functionality. For BMW, there is no differentiation as all of
their processes happen in the same manner, without restriction, through the
OBDII port.

The guys who are experimenting with aftermarket coding are identifying
factory features/functions developed by BMW that they can enable, manipulate,
modify using factory like tools such as E-SYS. Some of the more advanced
features which are specific to higher level models such as the ZCP and GTS
are protected and require an FSC (Freischaltcode) in order to function properly.

Flash tuning on the other hand is more intricate as it requires the ability to
access performance tables and functions within the DME, which can then be
re-calibrated to yield different functions/results. Instead of using BMW's
factory issued software version specific to the ZCP model, the same/or
similar calibration strategies can be used to produce exacting results, if you
have the expertise to do so.

Appreciate 1
Biorin2784.50
      08-08-2017, 11:15 PM   #25
terahertz
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 AW

Quote:
No offense.

Do you have anything to share that is insightful or real world experience based, and is not one of the conclusions the OP of that thread came to out of his own little coding adventure? No mention it's also confirm in his thread that the burble was possible.

What I saw IN PERSON is, someone had his car "coded" with burble and startup roar and did not feel a power loss and have not seen a single error code so far. And his DME is intact.
lol. I have nothing else to say to you. I was trying to be helpful.

you obviously have no idea what I have been trying to explain to you. You also called his flashing the dme adventure a "coding adventure" and therefore you do not understand the difference between the two. he flashed his ECU, he didn't code it.

all the tables that need to be changed for burble are not code-able. they are in the software which needs to be flashed.

exit thread.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 03:18 PM   #26
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by terahertz View Post
Quote:
No offense.

Do you have anything to share that is insightful or real world experience based, and is not one of the conclusions the OP of that thread came to out of his own little coding adventure? No mention it's also confirm in his thread that the burble was possible.

What I saw IN PERSON is, someone had his car "coded" with burble and startup roar and did not feel a power loss and have not seen a single error code so far. And his DME is intact.
lol. I have nothing else to say to you. I was trying to be helpful.

you obviously have no idea what I have been trying to explain to you. You also called his flashing the dme adventure a "coding adventure" and therefore you do not understand the difference between the two. he flashed his ECU, he didn't code it.

all the tables that need to be changed for burble are not code-able. they are in the software which needs to be flashed.

exit thread.
Hey man, if I made myself look offensive, I apologize.

I won't call myself knowing much about it but I'm not new to this world. Flashing to me is the touch-up of the table of ignition timing, boost, load, valve lift and a whole of other parameters that's more performance related. Coding is more toward enabling or disabling functions. So just we have different ways of calling them.

I'm really with you in not believing that they can actually write anything to DME without unlocking it. This thread is all about exploring what we can achieve with factory designed software like E-SYS or something else that is similar.
      08-14-2017, 02:28 PM   #27
Celestion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M3 Comp

Lots of misinformation here...

The DME can be flashed without an FSC (for example during an I-step upgrade). Only certain regions on the DME are write protected by the FSC. Those regions include whatever is needed to be modified to get the ZCP power bump. It is theoretically possible that the "burble regions" aren't protected by the FSC.
Current issues:
1. Hobbiests do not yet know where this region is within the DME .bin firmware file.
2. Hobbiests can't read the bin file.
3. If we could read and modify the .bin file, flashing a "burble" .bin may still trigger limp mode because of things like checksum protection etc.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 02:37 PM   #28
Celestion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M3 Comp

If this guy did it through coding, then he should just upload his FA file as proof. It would be trivially easy see to what he did if it was through pure coding.

Again, 99% chance he just unlocked his DME physically, and then flashed it.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2017, 11:15 PM   #29
zzcraft
Rep

The local shop claims that They could purchase the FSC code from BMW to unlock the ZCP feature on a non-ZCP car through coding. So the none-ZCP car could have the burble sound and the same HP as ZCP as well. It cost around 2000 USD.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2017, 11:26 PM   #30
zzcraft
Rep

So the remaing question is whether BMW does provide this retrofit to noneZCP car owner ?
Anyone has an idea ?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 07:17 PM   #31
SanchoDivine
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzcraft View Post
The local shop claims that They could purchase the FSC code from BMW to unlock the ZCP feature on a non-ZCP car through coding. So the none-ZCP car could have the burble sound and the same HP as ZCP as well. It cost around 2000 USD.
$2k is a lot probably what it would cost to have a shop remove your DME and add one of the popular tunes on this forum.

However, if BMW does sell this and it can be done without voiding warranty, I would probably do it.

Please let me know if you get any more info. Where are you located?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 11:54 PM   #32
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzcraft View Post
Can they do it remotely?

Things here are getting ridiculous because my local shop did it to a customer from 1500km away.
      08-22-2017, 01:30 AM   #33
zzcraft
Rep

remotely coding is definitely doable,what you need is VMware player(OS and whatever software needed) and teamviewer(remote control).
Appreciate 0