GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

06-29-2016, 12:05 PM   #1
Foretrees
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 YMB-MP Carbon-MPE Carbon

Help Required with Rusty Discs

Can anyone let me know if they have a similar issue and have any solution, more recently after washing the car the discs are getting rusty, to the point where the heat in the air is making them worse, so I dry and clean as best as possible and even just parking the car up after pressing the brake the dust goes everywhere or it drips through the disc and makes a mess of the wheel, wheels are coated and quality cleaning products used, its a tad annoying, any help, suggestions would be appreciated, thanks John
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 12:08 PM   #2
Jimbooo
UK F82 owner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MY16 F82 M4

I get this every time I wash the car. Trick is to finish your wash, dry car etc etc then when you are done go for a quick drive ideally picking up some speed and use the brakes (faster you go the less rust will stick to the wheels). Then when you get back detail spray the wheels and clean off the rust with a microfibre towel.
Pain in the Arse but this is what I do after every wash.
      06-29-2016, 12:19 PM   #3
Foretrees
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for that, it's strange as it just got worse as the weather has picked up and I guess they are drying out quicker, you right it's a pain in the ass, I used Gtechinc coating and the wheels clean fine, it's the rust dust and rust water marks, I guess a good detailer Spray and microfiber will do the trick, just trying to avoid any light scratches
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 01:26 PM   #4
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Same thing happened to me I minted the wheels and sealed them, then showered the disks with huge amounts of rust the next day the build up was shocking.

But as they are now sealed is comes off easily not sure what else you can do other than the process outlined by jimbooo.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 01:37 PM   #5
Foretrees
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks looks like it, appreciate the help, not an issue to give another clean just thought it's a lot of rust from washing the car, did you get the disc grove on your rear looked at?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 01:51 PM   #6
d4springer
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 CP SS/SO

I'm not sure if it's a definite solution but I use Meguiars Hot Rims to clean my wheels (it's non acidic), I have also coated the alloys with Gtechniq C5, basically spray on the Hot Rims and clean off with wheel woolies or hand mitt.

On my previous 330D (with the M Sport Brakes) I used to wash each wheel individually then I would dry off the discs with kitchen roll as quickly as possible. For me the rust build up seemed quicker in the winter? I started using the Hot Rims and I noticed that if I sprayed the stuff over the whole wheel, discs and hubs included, then cleaned everything with a hand mitt, ie cleaned all around the alloy, hubs, discs and calipers, rinse off and no rust was forming!

I've carried this routine on with the M3 and so far again no rust is appearing after cleaning the wheels. I'm not sure if there's something in the Hot Rims which is preventing the rust build up but it just seems to be working for me anyway.
Older - E46 330i | Silver | AC Schnitzer, E36 328i Coupe | White
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 02:25 PM   #7
Foretrees
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for the feedback, that certainly sounds worth a try, had a few BMW's and had rust on discs but never had rust bleed on to the the wheels like this, it most likely very common and just need to deal with it!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 02:36 PM   #8
Red335i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 f82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foretrees View Post
Thanks for the feedback, that certainly sounds worth a try, had a few BMW's and had rust on discs but never had rust bleed on to the the wheels like this, it most likely very common and just need to deal with it!
I purchased a small compact car dryer that blows warm air. I use this to dry my wheels works really well no rust.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 03:51 PM   #9
te37
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 SS/SO 6MT

Here is what I do with 80% success rate: wash the wheels, when your done with each wheel take a old rag and remove the water from the rotors (so it doesn't turn to rust) then cover the wheel, I have some cardboard cut outs I put in front of each wheel tucked into the fender and the ground. Then once your done with all 4 wash your car remove the wheel covers and then dry everything... bam no rust. Except for the rust behind the rotor but it is minimal.

p.s. black wheels show it the worst!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 04:31 PM   #10
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Thanks looks like it, appreciate the help, not an issue to give another clean just thought it's a lot of rust from washing the car, did you get the disc grove on your rear looked at?
Not yet too busy living out of a suitcase this week, need to get it in though.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 03:17 AM   #11
Foretrees
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red335i View Post
I purchased a small compact car dryer that blows warm air. I use this to dry my wheels works really well no rust.
Thanks for this suggestion, well worth an experiment, might try a hairdryer first.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 03:19 AM   #12
Foretrees
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by te37 View Post
Here is what I do with 80% success rate: wash the wheels, when your done with each wheel take a old rag and remove the water from the rotors (so it doesn't turn to rust) then cover the wheel, I have some cardboard cut outs I put in front of each wheel tucked into the fender and the ground. Then once your done with all 4 wash your car remove the wheel covers and then dry everything... bam no rust. Except for the rust behind the rotor but it is minimal.

p.s. black wheels show it the worst!
Thanks for the info, yes black shows up the orange rust up for sure!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 03:24 AM   #13
Foretrees
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
Not yet too busy living out of a suitcase this week, need to get it in though.
Yes know the feeling, just in this morning from Abu Dhabi, did the 02.00 return flight, mind you got a few hours at the Yas Marina track and a quick pint in the Viceroy
Appreciate 1
      06-30-2016, 06:39 AM   #14
d4springer
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quick update, I've done driving this week so washing the car and have just cleaned the wheels using the Hot Rims, so far no rust (well apart form the little line along the edge):
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 11:29 AM   #15
te37
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 SS/SO 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4springer View Post
Quick update, I've done driving this week so washing the car and have just cleaned the wheels using the Hot Rims, so far no rust (well apart form the little line along the edge):
So you sprayed down the wheels / rotors with the Hot Rims and it did not allow the rotors to rust?

Anyone want to try this stuff? http://www.autogeek.net/hydes-serum-rust-stopper.html
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 01:21 PM   #16
Foretrees
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Great thanks, I think I will buy Hot Rims and give it a go, been using Gtecnic iron fall out and then Poorboys soap wheel wash, and always dry the wheel, the surface rust might be a product reaction, all are non acid nice wheels btw
Appreciate 1
      06-30-2016, 01:24 PM   #17
Foretrees
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
So you sprayed down the wheels / rotors with the Hot Rims and it did not allow the rotors to rust?

Anyone want to try this stuff? http://www.autogeek.net/hydes-serum-rust-stopper.html
Thanks for the link, intresting
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 02:48 PM   #18
d4springer
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Yep, spray all over, leave for a min, wipe round with a hand mitt (or wheel woolies, probably should point out it does say avoid contact with your skin, but I'm ex-navy and therefore can handle it!) rinse off, didn't bother drying and it seems to be fine.

This site seems to show the ingredients of Hot Rims: http://www.apauto.com/SDS%20Branded/...GU%20G9524.pdf I was trying to see if it was similar to the Hydes Serum in anyway, also just to be really sad I started looking up those ingredients and I think Sodium Silicate is a rust inhibitor, I expect someone with actual knowledge of chemistry would be able to confirm that though as I have none!

Anyway, back to car cleaning...
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 05:52 AM   #19
Foretrees
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yep, spray all over, leave for a min, wipe round with a hand mitt (or wheel woolies, probably should point out it does say avoid contact with your skin, but I'm ex-navy and therefore can handle it!) rinse off, didn't bother drying and it seems to be fine.

This site seems to show the ingredients of Hot Rims: http://www.apauto.com/SDS%20Branded/...GU%20G9524.pdf I was trying to see if it was similar to the Hydes Serum in anyway, also just to be really sad I started looking up those ingredients and I think Sodium Silicate is a rust inhibitor, I expect someone with actual knowledge of chemistry would be able to confirm that though as I have none!

Anyway, back to car cleaning...
Great, hot rims will be added to the detailing box!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 11:53 AM   #20
Yas_Man
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Speed Yellow M4 Comp Pack

Quote:
Can anyone let me know if they have a similar issue and have any solution, more recently after washing the car the discs are getting rusty, to the point where the heat in the air is making them worse, so I dry and clean as best as possible and even just parking the car up after pressing the brake the dust goes everywhere or it drips through the disc and makes a mess of the wheel, wheels are coated and quality cleaning products used, its a tad annoying, any help, suggestions would be appreciated, thanks John
Honestly, it's easy, go to B&Q and buy a £35 leaf blower, when you've washed it, blow the tyres, wheels and brakes dry.

Then you'll get no water spots on the wheels, no rusty brakes plus you can blow all the water out from the number plates, lights and grilles so the car looks perfect . . . . also saves you an age when coming to dry the wheels plus you can dress the tyres quicker as they'll dry faster.
Appreciate 1
      07-01-2016, 01:27 PM   #21
Foretrees
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yas_Man View Post
Honestly, it's easy, go to B&Q and buy a £35 leaf blower, when you've washed it, blow the tyres, wheels and brakes dry.

Then you'll get no water spots on the wheels, no rusty brakes plus you can blow all the water out from the number plates, lights and grilles so the car looks perfect . . . . also saves you an age when coming to dry the wheels plus you can dress the tyres quicker as they'll dry faster.
Great shout! Thanks for the suggestion and well worth a look,
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2016, 07:50 AM   #22
G82Dude
-
Rep
Drives: M4CMxD

I always blast the discs with the hose in the vent holes and clear out as much crap as possible. Then use a £15 air blower off fleabay to dry the wheels (and take off the centre caps) and discs. Use it on the door hinge area, grilles and engine bay too!
Appreciate 0