Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

08-10-2016, 12:25 PM   #1
rx8wanki
Private
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Comp Skyscraper Grey

Strange sound from the Differential

Hello guys

Im owning a 05/2015 M4 and already get a new Differential over the BMW Warranty last month because the old one had some leakage and also did some grinding sounds.

Now the new diff (I think it comes from there ) does some strange sounds too.
It happens almost every time the car slows down and its almost standing ,when I hit the acceleration pedal that time to speed up a little bit it starts and goes away at higer speeds (10mph).
When the car comes to a total stand and I will speed up again theres only a light howling but not that loud as you hear on the video.
The sounds get even worse when I also start to steer (when I want to drive in a parking lot for example) during the procedure Ive written.

I already told the mechanics at BMW about the problem , but they want to wait for the 2000km oil service on the new diff
I dont think the oil chance will change anyting on that problem , like already said I also have a very light howling during the first and second gear at low speeds but my first diff also did these sounds so Im not sure if this is normal.

Here is the Video (starts after 10sec) :

Did anyone of you recognize this sound ?
Maybe they installed a diff that is also built during the bad range that caused a delivery stop

I hope you guys could help me out with that
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 01:35 PM   #2
James0518
Soldier
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 MW ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rx8wanki View Post
Hello guys

Im owning a 05/2015 M4 and already get a new Differential over the BMW Warranty last month because the old one had some leakage and also did some grinding sounds.

Now the new diff (I think it comes from there ) does some strange sounds too.
It happens almost every time the car slows down and its almost standing ,when I hit the acceleration pedal that time to speed up a little bit it starts and goes away at higer speeds (10mph).
When the car comes to a total stand and I will speed up again theres only a light howling but not that loud as you hear on the video.
The sounds get even worse when I also start to steer (when I want to drive in a parking lot for example) during the procedure Ive written.

I already told the mechanics at BMW about the problem , but they want to wait for the 2000km oil service on the new diff
I dont think the oil chance will change anyting on that problem , like already said I also have a very light howling during the first and second gear at low speeds but my first diff also did these sounds so Im not sure if this is normal.

Here is the Video (starts after 10sec) :

Did anyone of you recognize this sound ?
Maybe they installed a diff that is also built during the bad range that caused a delivery stop

I hope you guys could help me out with that
I noticed the same exact sound for the first time yesterday. I was going over speed bumps at low speed. My F82 is affected by the diff recall
      09-09-2016, 09:50 PM   #3
wakdady
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: i3

if your car was part of the recall, your vin would be specified.
however, there is an SIB. it may apply. but if i recall, it states "a loud noise". which, imo, this is not.
my diff makes the same noise. started after my 1200 service too. it is an LSD after all, so i do expect some noise.
the way i see it, the cars got a decent warranty. if something happens between now and the end, it'll be covered. if i really wanna make a stink about it, i'll complain about it at 3.5 years in.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 05:47 PM   #4
Fp77
Italy
Rep
Drives: M3

Hi
Was searching around to see if anyone had the same issue. I just purchased an m3 cp with 13,000km and it has this exact sound. Owned an m4 in the past, dont recall this sound at all. Should I be worried? Dealer where i live is beyond useless.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 09:47 AM   #5
logicalunit
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4

Race car sound!
Mine has it since day one, don't think it's a problem tho. I had an Audi A5 Quattro in the past that had a center differential whine at highway speeds, that sound stayed consistent during ownership and the car never failed on me.
Appreciate 0