proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA

04-16-2017, 08:20 AM   #1
screenshot
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 LCI M3 2015

Anyone had curb rash troubles with this car??

Having recently acquired a 2015 LCI M3 earlier this year, I found that the F80's width and heavy steering (even in comfort) makes it a lot trickier to park or drive near curbs (especially in small multilevel car parks).

I have owned two 3 series for the last 7-8 years, a E46 and then F30 M Sport. Never came close to wheel curbing but with this car, I am EXTREMELY paranoid about damaging them. The F30 3 series had the M Sport 19" rims which are very similar in profile and shape to the M3's wheels too. Just saw a minor scuff on the back driver side today and I think it must've happened last night when I was negotiating this ridiculously tiny multilevel car park. I'm a very careful driver and super fussy about my cars so this is perplexing me to no end.

Have any other F80/82 owners had bad experiences in this regard? Has anyone suffered any misfortunes and had to get the wheels repaired or replaced? I'm also aware that the 437M style wheels are notoriously difficult to repair since the face has a diamond cut finish and is tinted in this unique grey colour requiring a special mixture. Apparently I read somewhere that the wheels are not even made by BMW factory but by a third party company!

Who do you go to for repairs (in Melbourne) or would you claim it through insurance for a full replacement? These wheels are a small fortune ~ $1500 each to replace brand new online or through a local dealership!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2017, 11:08 AM   #2
brownb_2
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Lci should have surround view? Should be hard to hit a curb
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2017, 01:00 PM   #3
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownb_2 View Post
Lci should have surround view? Should be hard to hit a curb
heard this at the dealer from a valet to a girl with a 320i..

"I am sorry, but this particular vehicle does not have that option" LOL
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2017, 01:13 PM   #4
IrvineTim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO F82

I suggest buying the 8 inch curb feelers that extend out from the lower fenders. I attached the link below for your convenience. Please post picks after installation. Cheers mate and best of luck.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/3319190...&ul_noapp=true
Appreciate 1
      04-17-2017, 02:36 AM   #5
im_dave
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: R53 MCS

I had my Matte black M Perf wheels repaired when I had the 235 at wheel solutions in Richmond. Couldn't tell they had been repaired after was a fantastic job. Not sure about the 437 but no harm giving them a buzz. Was about 150-200 for memory.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 04:21 AM   #6
robbo mcs
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 and others

Hi,

My wife curbed one of her wheels the first week owning her M4. She was distraught, and wasn't going to tell me, but showed me after a day or so. The damage was around the very outer lip of the rim, as that protrudes out, and was cut pretty deeply.

Our friend who does paint protection etc put a protective lip around the very outside of the rims. It is a rubber type strip. I forgot what the product is called. Anyhow it covered up the scratch so you can no longer see it, and it protects the wheels from future curbing. When you know it is there you can see it, but honestly if I didn't tell someone, they would never notice it is there.

Here is a pic of the wheel

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 05:13 AM   #7
twinblack
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Wow where can I buy them from?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 07:05 PM   #8
three5zer0
M3AN
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I too had them on my old set of BBS rims - silver strip all way around outer lip - take it into your local tyre shop they should have them for sale.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 04:31 AM   #9
robbo mcs
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 and others

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinblack View Post
There are loads of different brands out there, of varying quality

http://www.rimskins.com.au/

https://www.alloygator.com/

I think from memory mine were alloygator. Ours our stealth and matched to the wheel colour, but there is a trend now to do colour highlights etc

A quality wheel shop should be able to do this. Ask your dealer, they may even have people who will do it pre delivery, same as tinting etc
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2017, 04:59 AM   #10
chromedome
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Alpine White, 911 997.2

Garage List
2016 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbo mcs View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinblack View Post
There are loads of different brands out there, of varying quality

http://www.rimskins.com.au/

https://www.alloygator.com/

I think from memory mine were alloygator. Ours our stealth and matched to the wheel colour, but there is a trend now to do colour highlights etc

A quality wheel shop should be able to do this. Ask your dealer, they may even have people who will do it pre delivery, same as tinting etc
I had them on my M4 and honestly they were rubbish. One fell off, one was ripped off and provided no protection whatsoever, one of the front ones came off in the hand car wash and the guy that repaired my two rear wheels removed the last one.

I find the M4 especially prone to kerb rash - it's the first car I've owned that I've hit the kerb on, even the super wide 911 (previous car) was easier than the BMW.
Appreciate 0