EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

06-01-2016, 02:05 PM   #45
plankton99
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Coupe Alpine White

So has anyone got the Bluetooth version working and what specific model did you get, please post link if product if possible
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 02:08 PM   #46
DD88
LXO
Sweden
Rep
Drives: M3 ZCP CQ - 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by plankton99
So has anyone got the Bluetooth version working and what specific model did you get, please post link if product if possible
Google Carista Bluetooth LE Adapter

I got this from the developer:

"Please note, that this is the first Bluetooth LE implementation and background connecting and things like that are not supported yet.
This will follow in one of the next versions."

So don't expect full functionality right now.
      06-02-2016, 06:50 PM   #47
wkndracr
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i

Just got my WiFi adapter and tried this out. It works pretty well. My audio system is gutted in favor of aftermarket goodness so I can't test the ASD feature. I'm using an old iPhone just as an iPod, and for the M Lap timer app, and this, so it mostly stays in the car and I have no lock screen set. So far, it seems to keep the settings, but haven't played around too much.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 09:43 AM   #48
jellydog6
Rep
Drives: ///M tree

Got the app and the obd tool yesterday tried out the exhaust flap works grate but the ASD i can't really tell any difference. this app allows you see all the sensor on the vehicle but only in German wish they can make an English version of the sensor list
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 01:04 PM   #49
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

The wifi one is hit or miss as it connects to my home wifi and then sometimes it won't work unless I unplug the adapter and plug it back in. It also interferes with using the Internet while it's connected to the device wifi. The Bluetooth would be great if it works.

Looking on Amazon, it shows a cable that is frequently purchases with this device. Do we need that too or does it plug right in to the cars OBD? See the Carista plug shape Will the plastic housing interfere with plugging this in?

At this point I may just get the BMS version so I can use it without any interferences.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-04-2016, 04:11 PM   #50
FAM3
Major
Rep
Drives: M5

So whats the consensus? Not worth the money/not working correctly?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2016, 11:37 PM   #51
plankton99
Second Lieutenant
Rep

The Carissa blue tooth only works with Carista app which does not control flaps. The bummer link app which I spent $14.99 on from the App Store does not connect to the Carista Bluetooth module.

Wasted time and money
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2016, 01:03 PM   #52
petripaa
Enlisted Member
Finland
Rep
Drives: i3 94Ah -18, G21 M340i -19

My experience with Bimmerlink

Works well for me with ASD and flaps. Also diagnostics and data displays work just like they should. I also tried this on our F31 320d and it works also on that (no surprise). Worth every cent I spent.

I have to say I enjoy my car lot more with flaps set always open. Nice throttle blibs on downshifts and roar on upshifts with partial throttle on relative low rews 1.5-->3krpm. It just feels right to me. This made me consider permanent flaps open mod as this software can keep them open only when running. Alternatively I'll just find iPod touch for running this app & controlling flaps. This remains to be seen.

I'm using this wifi dongle. Not too pricy and works flawlessly. Also the delivery to Finland was surprisingly fast.

The diagnostics & dashboard & sensor items are still in German, but translations are on their way. I got this info directly from developer who answered pretty much instantly to my mail.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2016, 03:31 PM   #53
ontherivet
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 YMB

I used the app last night but noticed that when also using The ConnectedDrive Spotify app that the Spotify screen in IDrive would blink about 3-4 times a second. I seem to recall this happening one other time but attributed it to IDrive. Anyone seen this behavior before?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2016, 11:49 AM   #54
Sanjuro Makabe
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 Frozen Silver M4

The app works great, connection was easy, bought this on amazon.ca

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2016, 02:49 PM   #55
plankton99
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Is there a Bluetooth connector that works with bimmerlink
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2016, 03:34 PM   #56
e90-4aj
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: E46-M3, F80-M3, 970 GTS

Quote:
+1
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2016, 03:20 PM   #57
hiimatif
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 MG; Previous: E92 M3

So I got the wifi unit from amazon + bimmerlink app and here are my thoughts.

1. Installation -- super easy. Literally plugged in dongle to ODB, went to wifi settings on phone, found wifi network that mentioned "Wifi" and "ODB" in it and connected.

2. Downloaded Bimmerlink app for $15. Started it up, went to settings and ensured auto connect was on. Then, while in park / N, I went and turned off ASD and set the Exhaust Flaps setting to Close. It's near instant in terms of how immediate the flaps open / close.

I've had ASD coded off in the past but then my car had a check engine light recently and they ended up upgrading the software so all codes got deleted. I came to the forums, saw this thread and decided to dive in and invest 25-30 bucks. The ASD was a huge thing for me because I have an AWE exhaust so the clash between the aftermarket's own exhaust notes with what was running through the speakers bothered me.

And so, here we are. Deleting ASD was a must and this app lets me do it with EASE. Literally a button and boom it's gone.

Same thing goes for adjusting exhaust flaps, though there are some caveats, all of which I'm okay with though that might vary by person.

The real benefit here is that the flaps stay open, regardless if you're in M mode or not, or if you're in 4th gear and above. For someone that loves the sound our cars made and went a step further to invest in a louder exhaust, this is huge. I wouldn't make it permanent though, because there's tech there that provides convenience and keeps the neighbors at bay.

This app is the happy medium.

The autoconnect to app / wifi connection works really well honestly for what we're getting. Given how wifi works in general, we can't expect our phones to autoconnect to the ODB wifi while we're still in close proximity to our house Wifis. Guys in condos or apartment buildings probably don't face this issue. The simple fix is as you're leaving the house, literally turn off wifi and turn it back on. Chances are since you're now closer to your car than your house wifi, it'll auto connect to the ODB wifi as it does for me.

From there, open app and your previous settings stick. I can hear my flaps open up as soon as i've fired up the app.

People have complained about internet issues, and I've experienced the same. However, they're bearable. If you're on the highway, your flaps still won't close. So once you've set things up and flaps are open and you're going for a drive, you can kill the wifi connection. Also, while the internet doesn't seem to connect, MOST of my texts, even if they're iMessage, still come in. Seems low level data still transmits, but high level stuff like going on the web browser or looking up directions via Maps doesn't work. you'll still get notifications though, so if someone messages you in Whatsapp or you get an FB comment or post, you'll get the notification but you'll have to kill the ODB wifi connection for data to actually fully load once you're back in the app.

I don't think there's going to be a way around this though I could be wrong. And in terms of the Bluetooth dongle, I'm not sure if we'll be able to connect to our car bluetooth + ODB bluetooth at same time? I'm not sure. Reconnecting via Bluetooth to the car's iDrive is always a lot tougher and manual. Me having to reconnect to the ODB wifi here and there is still pretty bearable given it autoconnects and all that.

I'm gonna play around with the custom values that are in the app, even though they're in German. assuming there's a list online that tells us what some of those are.

A request for me would be to be able to actually have the Write power to save these on our cars, similar to how folks currently edit values via wired coding / software. This way, things like removing disclaimers, key fob open / close windows, etc. can be written to the car and work without our phones connected to the ODB wifi connection.

So to summarize -- do I think this setup is worth it via ODB wifi? Yes. It also presents a lot of future opportunities and I hope the app continues to be updated. I'll share more things as I play around with the app and figure stuff out.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 1
      06-26-2016, 02:53 AM   #58
petripaa
Enlisted Member
Finland
Rep

internet with wifi obd dongle

There is way around with the internet issue. It needs bit of fiddling with your phone settings. In short you need to set static IP address for this particular wi-fi and not set the router.

Short how-to for this goes as follows:
1. Enter settings
2. Select Wi-Fi-section from the settings
3. Connect to your OBD adapter Wi-Fi and wait until it really is connected (ie. the Wi-Fi icon appears with "bars filled")
4. Press the i button on the right hand side of the selected wi-fi network
5. Note down IP Address and subnet mask
6. Select static and fill in IP Address and Subnet Mask
7. Go back to network list by pressing < Wi-Fi from top left corner
8. Check that your OBD wi-fi is still selected
9. Exit settings and enjoy your internet while using the app.

This guide may vary a bit if you don't have latest iOS version.

Note: the Wi-Fi icon disappears after this is done, but the connection to OBD stick still works as long as you can see it connected to stick @ settings.

Last edited by petripaa; 06-26-2016 at 05:58 AM..
Appreciate 3
      06-26-2016, 05:04 PM   #59
TheLegend
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Will this work with the bmw performance analyzer?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2016, 05:40 PM   #60
Sassicaia
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: SMB F80 6MT

Just a thought. Could you buy an iPod load the app on, and just leave it in your car dedicated to the function of controlling this?

Would you say the ASD complete shuts off or just gets less noticeable using this app and OBD?

Last edited by Sassicaia; 06-26-2016 at 05:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 12:04 AM   #61
petripaa
Enlisted Member
Finland
Rep

iPod touch support

iPod touch 5th or 6th gen should be fine - older won't work because iOS version is unsupported.

Honestly I've been thinking the same. iPod would be just perfect for controlling exhaust flaps and showing additional data displays etc. Just wondering where & how to mount it so that it does not look silly. More importantly when I want to take it off there should be no marks.

Dunno about the ASD. It is not intrusive atleast based on my experience when I turn it off with this app. Then again I don't find it particularly annoying when it is working normally...
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 08:42 AM   #62
Sassicaia
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: SMB F80 6MT

I'd picture just keeping it in the drivers side glove box. Doesn't need to be on display for me.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 08:54 AM   #63
goneloco
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by petripaa
iPod touch 5th or 6th gen should be fine - older won't work because iOS version is unsupported.

Honestly I've been thinking the same. iPod would be just perfect for controlling exhaust flaps and showing additional data displays etc. Just wondering where & how to mount it so that it does not look silly. More importantly when I want to take it off there should be no marks.

Dunno about the ASD. It is not intrusive atleast based on my experience when I turn it off with this app. Then again I don't find it particularly annoying when it is working normally...
You can get a phone holder that attaches to the air vent slats. I'd take a picture of my iPhone in it in my car but since the iPhone is in the holder, I can't. I use it for my iPhone when I run waze.
2003 M3 Coupe (Sold)
1998 M3 Sedan (RIP)
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 10:01 AM   #64
plankton99
Second Lieutenant
Rep

If they would make a Bluetooth OBD that works with bimmerlink than there would be no internet problems... I tried the Carista Bluetooth OBD but did not work with bimmerlink. There is a Bluetooth selection in bimmerlink for Bluetooth, I sent bimmerlink an email weeks ago on what OBD is compatible, but no reply
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 11:12 AM   #65
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90-4aj
Quote:
+1
+1 I'm going to get this app as soon as a specific Bluetooth port interface is Identified. Multiple benefits over wifi.

Btw Thanks for the post OP!
      06-27-2016, 02:15 PM   #66
petripaa
Enlisted Member
Finland
Rep

Bluetooth dongle

The bimmerlink german homepage lists bluetooth one bluetooth adapter in the bottom of the page:
https://www.amazon.de/Carista-Blueto.../dp/B00YVHGTBM

I don't have experience whether it works or not, but surely it works as it is listed on the page. If there seems to be a problem the app developer should be able to give you details and probably some tips how to get it working.

I managed to reach him using this email: info@bimmerlink.com

EDIT: Not so sure about bluetooth anymore after reading experience from plankton99... sorry to hear this. Hopefully it gets fixed in future version(s).

Last edited by petripaa; 06-27-2016 at 02:21 PM..
Appreciate 0