Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

09-27-2017, 06:31 AM   #1
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep
Drives: Incoming G87

Removing coding when sell/trade?

Hey all,

Looking for opinions on removing coding when selling or trading your car and what people have done.

I have Euro MDM and Full euro-spec high beams coded along with multiple much smaller things but wondering what people do when they sell/trade? Its been 2.5 years since I coded the car but is there a way to just 'reset' the modules to default values? Or do I go through my list of everything that changed and switch them back one by one?

Read...no drive, the manual.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 06:34 AM   #2
AIRHEIR
X3M Comp
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp

Why ? Leave it. Let next person enjoy.
Appreciate 1
Mr. Hankey1025.50
      09-27-2017, 10:02 AM   #3
pmooiweer
Zymurgist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 (F80)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhk118 View Post
Hey all,

Looking for opinions on removing coding when selling or trading your car and what people have done.

I have Euro MDM and Full euro-spec high beams coded along with multiple much smaller things but wondering what people do when they sell/trade? Its been 2.5 years since I coded the car but is there a way to just 'reset' the modules to default values? Or do I go through my list of everything that changed and switch them back one by one?
Using E-Sys, simply select each of the ECUs you modified (one by one) and click "Code" to reset values to factory settings.
Appreciate 1
Mr. Hankey1025.50
      09-27-2017, 11:53 AM   #4
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIRHEIR View Post
Thought about that...Euro MDM does make it way better, I could see euro auto high beams freaking some people out though.

Rest of the stuff only improve the thing - enhanced bluetooth, Sirius XM coded on, Comfort access partially turned on...

Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 12:13 PM   #5
mischiefbenz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80

I left my car coded when I turn my car back at lease end earlier this year. Didn't have any issues at turn in.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 02:13 AM   #6
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

Quote:
Thought about that...Euro MDM does make it way better, I could see euro auto high beams freaking some people out though.

Rest of the stuff only improve the thing - enhanced bluetooth, Sirius XM coded on, Comfort access partially turned on...
what option is this when coding?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 06:09 AM   #7
Stealthm4bcm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4 ZCP

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIRHEIR View Post

I'm going to have to code in euro MDM. How significant is it? Does it get rid of that lag off the line but still provide the traction if really needed?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 07:36 AM   #8
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFNATIK View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthm4bcm View Post
I'm going to have to code in euro MDM. How significant is it? Does it get rid of that lag off the line but still provide the traction if really needed?
It just changes the settings for MDM mode to make it more aggressive. You can get the car to slip and oversteer more than the stock settings and it intervenes way later but still intervenes. Don't think it helps much with lag off the line as only adjusts traction control settings although will give you a bit more acceleration and a bit more tire slip than the "US MDM" mode. This is copied from my coding table - change all the DSC settings to those on this table, but this is for 2015 and if you have a newer car not sure if settings are the same.

Appreciate 1
moonluv8102494.00
      09-28-2017, 11:15 AM   #9
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Hey all,

I would code back to factory, especially features like Euro MDM.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 11:34 AM   #10
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
I would code back to factory, especially features like Euro MDM.
Yeah I just decided to spend an hour or so and code everything back. You can see I coded seatbelt chimes off also and those should be turned back on...etc.

Although some lucky winner is going to get Sirius Xm, extended bluetooth, and Backup camera that weren't originally optioned...

Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 11:39 AM   #11
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I just decided to spend an hour or so and code everything back. You can see I coded seatbelt chimes off also and those should be turned back on...etc.

Although some lucky winner is going to get Sirius Xm, extended bluetooth, and Backup camera that weren't originally optioned...
VO Code and you will spend 15 minutes. Agreed, I would not erase things like EBT or Camera.
Appreciate 1
Mr. Hankey1025.50
      09-28-2017, 05:12 PM   #12
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Sorry missed your question. You can code in mirror folding and roll up windows/close sunroof if holding the lock button down on the fob and can code open all windows if hold down the unlock button. I just did the fold mirrors and roll up window option...

Wouldn't want to go out to my car and find that I was sitting on my key and rolled the windows down in a 14 inch snowstorm like my father in law did on his Lexus once!

I can shoot you the codes if you want them

Appreciate 1
MFNATIK3498.00
      09-28-2017, 11:58 PM   #13
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

Quote:
Sorry missed your question. You can code in mirror folding and roll up windows/close sunroof if holding the lock button down on the fob and can code open all windows if hold down the unlock button. I just did the fold mirrors and roll up window option...

Wouldn't want to go out to my car and find that I was sitting on my key and rolled the windows down in a 14 inch snowstorm like my father in law did on his Lexus once!

Sure, shoot them codes over

TIA!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2017, 12:52 AM   #14
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:

I do not think that is the norm. But, I do worn people in areas that actually face seasons to keep initiation delay to avoid folded mirrors in the snow regions.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2017, 07:11 AM   #15
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep

Quote:
Sure, shoot them codes over

TIA!
OK here's a picture of all my coding...The folding/rolling up of windows is located on page 1 under FEM_BODY. I don't have the codes on there to roll them down, this is just a list of what I personally have coded on my car.

Appreciate 2
MFNATIK3498.00
iatacs19458.50
      01-20-2018, 11:34 AM   #16
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep

Some followup to this post: I traded in my 2015 two months ago and VO coded everything back to stock. Was contacted by dealership yesterday wondering what "engine modifications" I had made to my car so they could pass this info along to the new owner. I had none nor ever had any on the car - no exhaust mods, no piggybacks, no chips, no ECU tuning, I left all of that bone stock. Just FDL coding as above. 15,000 miles, car totally babied garage queen...

I inquired why they were asking and turns out my dealership was planning on selling it as BMW CPO with the CPO warranty. The car failed the BMW CPO inspection process because the inspector "detected the car had been coded" and therefore it failed and flagged it in the system. They assume any detected coding automatically includes engine tuning and therefore BMW will not warranty it. Just some food for thought.

Appreciate 2
      01-20-2018, 06:36 PM   #17
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 MG/SO

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Most interesting... Putting speculation aside, BMW knows way more than any of us hobbyists/tinkerers. So yes it's possible that they can find out whatever we do to our cars, even coding, but I always thought it was an extreme rare possibility.

Thus said, it is baffling how it's possible that they did find out that FDL coding hapenned, so it must be that there was a record stored from a dealer visit where they connected ISTA, which over few years of ownership would definitely happen or when the "warranty inspector" inspected the car...

I have spent much time out of sheer curiosity to learn about stuff , especially FASTA data, the data that is retrieved from our cars. There is still an area that isn't possible w my limited skills and knowledge to decipher, so yes anything is possible
Appreciate 1
Mr. Hankey1025.50
      01-20-2018, 07:40 PM   #18
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboulfad View Post
Most interesting... Putting speculation aside, BMW knows way more than any of us hobbyists/tinkerers. So yes it's possible that they can find out whatever we do to our cars, even coding, but I always thought it was an extreme rare possibility.

Thus said, it is baffling how it's possible that they did find out that FDL coding hapenned, so it must be that there was a record stored from a dealer visit where they connected ISTA, which over few years of ownership would definitely happen or when the "warranty inspector" inspected the car...

I have spent much time out of sheer curiosity to learn about stuff , especially FASTA data, the data that is retrieved from our cars. There is still an area that isn't possible w my limited skills and knowledge to decipher, so yes anything is possible
I just read your other thread. It is interesting and well beyond my capabilities. The only funny thing I can think of with that car is I use a Valentine 1 radar detector powered by their Saavy unit which uses the OBD port for power and to read vehicle speed. You can set it to remain silent below a certain speed so not set off around town by automatic doors...etc.

My first oil change the service manager came out to me and said "level with me, what kind of piggyback is that"...I had to go back to the service bay with him and convince him that when unplugged from the OBD port the radar detector turns off, plug it back in and radar detector goes back on again. Even showed him the big V1 logo on it and he said ok and walked off. Wonder if they flagged it that day?

But without me prompting them the dealer contacted me yesterday telling me the independent BMW CPO tech failed the car because it "had" been coded...which is completely correct, it had been. He didn't tell the dealer what or how it was coded which is why they were reaching out to me to make sure it wasn't anything specifically with the engine, which is what they (the dealer) were assuming. I speculate the CPO process can only tell the car had been coded by some flag mechanism similar to the engine computer flash counter but can't tell specifically what was coded so they assume the worst and refuse to CPO it.

And another twist was the day before the dealer contacted me (day of the CPO check) I received a call from BMWNA late in the day on my cell that I missed. VM said they wanted to discuss some specific BMW M3 features with me and please call back. I haven't called back.

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 08:16 PM   #19
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
The story keeps getting more and more interesting ... we can never figure out what technically happened ... but I have a feeling there's some BS happening w that dealer...

So if the independent BMW CPO tech had such technical capabilities to detect that small piece of data, surely they can check other parameters of the car and ensure there is no abnormal "wear and tear" or other aspects that will render it un CPO'ed ... Anyways, weird and I'll stop here as I rarely like to speculate. GL.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 08:31 PM   #20
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
BTW, one way that coding could be detected if, for example, like w disabling ASD, a fault (0x8053A5: ASD: Invalid coding data for equalising) is triggered and that would be logged in FASTA Data. So that's a trace that could easily tell any tech that there was a change in coding. I only know of ASD that triggers such fault, but there could be more and if like most users aren't aware, then traces are left behind. so this gives me an idea which I will post later.

PS: Whenever I code, I always check for faults right away and a bit after.

Last edited by aboulfad; 01-20-2018 at 08:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 08:38 PM   #21
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboulfad View Post
BTW, one way that coding could be detected if, for example, like w disabling ASD, a fault (0x8053A5: ASD: Invalid coding data for equalising) is triggered and that would be logged in FASTA Data. So that's a trace that could easily tell any tech that there was a change in coding. I only know of ASD that triggers such fault, but there could be more and if like most users aren't aware, then traces are left behind. so this gives me an idea which I will post later.

PS: Whenever I code, I always check for faults right away and a bit after.
That was my guess.
Appreciate 1
aboulfad1592.50
      01-20-2018, 09:01 PM   #22
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
I scanned the Fault List for the ECUs listed above, and look how many hits for Codierung ... sneaky ... some may or may not indicate coding by user.

A common fault type for ALL the above ECUs that is of interest is: Coding: Coding does not fit the vehicle. However unclear when and IF that fault type is thrown during a regular coding session for the above coding parameters. Of course it's simple to try.
Attached Images

Last edited by aboulfad; 01-20-2018 at 09:08 PM..
Appreciate 3
Almaretto2374.00
Mr. Hankey1025.50
drgmt984.50