GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

05-19-2018, 09:32 PM   #23
Justin.AutoTalent
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Mod list looks pretty solid, you're changing it to how you want it within a price point that you want to spend

I did similar as well minus the BPM tune & CG controller.

I am more than content with the BM3 valve operation. Efficient is OEM w/valves opening after 4500 RPM, while sport and sports plus are 100% open.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2018, 11:09 PM   #24
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i, 21 911S, 24 Taycan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoDivine View Post
Save yourself a couple hundred bucks by not getting the valve controller. It's not needed for either BPM or BM3 flash tunes.

BPM will set your valves always open in sport and sport+ and OEM in efficient.

BM3 allows you to fully customize your valves.

I have the VSC controller and it is nice but now that I have BPM it never gets used
Are you sure about this on the BPM tune? My BPM tune leaves the stock exhaust valve operation exactly the same as stock. In other words, it never leaves valves fully open in sport or even in sport+. It opens and closes depending on speed, RPM, accelerating vs cruising on the highway etc.

Personally, I find having an additional valve controller quite useful to shut valves completely off when I want the car to be quiet in the neighborhood and to force fully open when I want to hear the exhaust note all the time or set it to OEM and let the ECU decide.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2018, 11:16 PM   #25
SanchoDivine
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterZgo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoDivine View Post
Save yourself a couple hundred bucks by not getting the valve controller. It's not needed for either BPM or BM3 flash tunes.

BPM will set your valves always open in sport and sport+ and OEM in efficient.

BM3 allows you to fully customize your valves.

I have the VSC controller and it is nice but now that I have BPM it never gets used
Are you sure about this on the BPM tune? My BPM tune leaves the stock exhaust valve operation exactly the same as stock. In other words, it never leaves valves fully open in sport or even in sport+. It opens and closes depending on speed, RPM, accelerating vs cruising on the highway etc.

Personally, I find having an additional valve controller quite useful to shut valves completely off when I want the car to be quiet in the neighborhood and to force fully open when I want to hear the exhaust note all the time or set it to OEM and let the ECU decide.
Yes, my previous BPM tune left valves OEM and I still had a need for my valve controller but I got an updated version from Mike and it does keep the valves open all the time in Sport and Sport+.

I still have my valve controller installed but no longer need it. I'll just switch to efficient mode if I want the car to be quiet.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2018, 07:34 PM   #26
Woodengun
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Yugo

RE: valves

My 2015 does not hold exhaust valves open all the time in sport+ mode. Valves closes at higher rpm in the bigger gears - not sure about the details but am certain in 4th gear or higher and somewhere around 4k rpm plus, valves close.

I have CG precision controller now.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2018, 08:23 AM   #27
Guardedgt4
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayman gt4

All the parts came in very excited to get everything installed. I will have before and after dyno results too if anyone is interested. I may order a couple other parts.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2018, 10:10 AM   #28
SanchoDivine
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodengun View Post
RE: valves

My 2015 does not hold exhaust valves open all the time in sport+ mode. Valves closes at higher rpm in the bigger gears - not sure about the details but am certain in 4th gear or higher and somewhere around 4k rpm plus, valves close.

I have CG precision controller now.
You are correct, the valves close at certain rpm to prevent cabin drone. The only way to keep them open is to either get a valve controller or certain tunes (BM3 or BPM).
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2018, 04:36 PM   #29
AMOR
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardedgt4 View Post
All the parts came in very excited to get everything installed. I will have before and after dyno results too if anyone is interested. I may order a couple other parts.
Hi, are you doing BPM Stage 2 on ZCP 6mt car? Would be interested to see before/after dyno, as I’m currently considering that tune myself. Are you going to enable rev-match in sport plus?

In regards to the valves control, i’m using Bimmerlink on my phone that can open and close valves and turn off/on ASD. But I noticed this - on a ZCP car there is a difference between Sport and Sport+ WITH THE VALVES OPEN. I did extensive testing yesterday and can confirm that 100%. After I open valves from the app, Sport mode does become louder, however it’s still not as deep sounding as Sport+ with less burbles.

Last edited by AMOR; 05-28-2018 at 04:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2018, 07:28 PM   #30
Guardedgt4
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayman gt4

Yes this will be a BPM stage II 18 zcp 6 speed manual. I am engaging the rev matching in sport plus. But I have disengaged rev matching in regular sport mode. I do still like to heel toe occasionally. I opted for gts burbles all rpm. I did not get the extra burble tune. The car is not a daily driver for me so when I drive it its pretty much always in sport or sport plus. The fact that the car has an efficient mode and what it makes the car feel like makes me hate they have to do this in today's m cars. I am considering the BMW m performance coil over spring kit. I would like to tuck the wheels into the wheel wheels just a hair more.
Appreciate 0