Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

05-23-2018, 05:03 PM   #1
Too-Much-M
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Comp Pack, Alpine White

BootMod3 Questions.

So I have been looking into tuning options for an f82, ended up settling on BM3. My question is that if something mechanical goes wrong ie. turbo/Motor with the car due to the tune. Would my best option be to reflash to stock and take to dealership for repair. I know this is highly unlikely but i would hate to be on the end of a really expensive non warranty repair. Please share your thoughts.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 08:12 PM   #2
chewbakam4
Major
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Bro if worried that much then don’t think about tuning at all with any tune as you never know what can happen with a car. I’ve gone in for service without issues ever but there is always that chance out there but in my case I’m ready to own up to it if need be. Warranty doesn’t last forever.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 04:23 AM   #3
HighlyMedicated
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m340ix

Worry about those problems later, the car can handle it. Bm3 flashes are fine tuned and not extreme to push the limits of the stock parts. This aint a 1990 era car, its 2018! Im at almost 30k miles stage 2 bm3 and for sure push it harder than you would and not one single problem. Theres a thread about highest mileage and flash tune bm3 and no one ever blew a motor and one member even has almost 70k miles on his 2015 and he states still drives with power as if 1500 miles. To worry about you being only one to have a problem is a waste of time when you can be enjoying instead of worrying.

Only way it be a problem would be if your car was a lemon and had problems from day 1, but other then that its amazing and safe. Just be more careful you don't hit a car or sidewall with so much power and driving skill than your engine breaking down. Of course if your launching at every red light and just driving beyond reckless even a stock car would have problems. Just be smart about driving and you will be fine!!

You didn't get a performance car thinkin about how many traffic tickets you will get in the future, so dont think about a blown motor scenario cause its a performance tune or upgrade and will be expensive to fix. Just do it, and if ever it does happen and not a lemon while driving safely you will be out of warranty anyways so it won't matter if you take out the tune or not you just gotta fix it or sell it as is. If you get extended warranty of course take it off but out of warranty its a waste of money and time to do.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 03:03 AM   #4
Too-Much-M
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Comp Pack, Alpine White

Aprecciate the reply’s, I feel a lot better about making my decision now.Only had the car 2 weeks, now I have to contemplate if that’s too early to tune, power can be a slippery slope lol
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 11:14 AM   #5
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too-Much-M View Post
Aprecciate the reply’s, I feel a lot better about making my decision now.Only had the car 2 weeks, now I have to contemplate if that’s too early to tune, power can be a slippery slope lol
If my car was brand new, I would not do any tunes. I would get some miles and make sure my car was good to go first.

Just my 2cents.
      05-25-2018, 11:34 AM   #6
BoxKing
I Rock Your Girls Box
Rep
Drives: M4 F82 ZCP AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGW0RM View Post
If my car was brand new, I would not do any tunes. I would get some miles and make sure my car was good to go first.

Just my 2cents.
I agree... plus I feel like you will enjoy the tune that much more after you start to feel what the baseline power is first... then tune once the thirst for more power becomes an itch you cant scratch at anymore.
Appreciate 0