Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

02-08-2018, 05:42 PM   #1
boss2k
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

GPS voice over bluetooth

I am unable to hear Phone GPS directions through the cars speakers , have a samsung note 5 and connected to the car via bluetooth

How to make this work? It was not working in my old M too and also does not work in my other car which is an acura?
      02-08-2018, 05:50 PM   #2
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

You need to have a constant audio stream playing via Bluetooth to hear the Navi voice from your phone.

For example play music on your phone and stream it via Bluetooth to your car. While the music is playing go navigate to a destination.

You will hear the music volume lower and the voice instruction play.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 05:54 PM   #3
backagain
just a fool
China
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO coded M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss2k View Post
I am unable to hear Phone GPS directions through the cars speakers , have a samsung note 5 and connected to the car via bluetooth

How to make this work? It was not working in my old M too and also does not work in my other car which is an acura?
It probably is because your audio source of the car speakers is not selected to Multimedia. Switch to that, and you should be able to hear the navigation guidance as well as music playback from your phone. Same thing with Acura (I also own a MDX).

Depending on the Nav app, you can choose to have the audio piped through the phone speaker, or as a phone dial, which essentially interrupts your car audio just like a phone call. That way you can listen to whatever source of music, and still be able to hear nav instructions.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 08:34 PM   #4
boss2k
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by backagain View Post
It probably is because your audio source of the car speakers is not selected to Multimedia. Switch to that, and you should be able to hear the navigation guidance as well as music playback from your phone. Same thing with Acura (I also own a MDX).

Depending on the Nav app, you can choose to have the audio piped through the phone speaker, or as a phone dial, which essentially interrupts your car audio just like a phone call. That way you can listen to whatever source of music, and still be able to hear nav instructions.
How to switch source to multimedia?

Secondly can i just not get GPS directions and not play music from my phone? I don't play music from phone.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2018, 12:22 AM   #5
AW M4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 ///M4

Quote:
How to switch source to multimedia?

Secondly can i just not get GPS directions and not play music from my phone? I don't play music from phone.
Yeah you can!
      02-09-2018, 07:38 AM   #6
boss2k
Colonel
Rep

ok how to change source to "multimedia"
      02-11-2018, 07:27 PM   #7
backagain
just a fool
China
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO coded M3

Quote:
ok how to change source to "multimedia"
Hit the upper left button next to the iDrive dial. It is marked as "MEDIA". Then select "External Devices", then selected your paired phone. You'll be in business.
Appreciate 0