EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

03-16-2016, 11:29 AM   #1
Brasko
#LSBM3
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Garage List
SSK: Rogue Engineering vs. UUC vs. Shifteck

I’m in the market for an short shift kit (SSK) and wanted to get some opinions from those who have had experience with any of the following 3 SSK’s.

Right now I’m leaning towards the UUC SSK despite the issues with the older versions I’ve been reading about on the forum. My biggest reasoning for this is the adjustable shift handle height. I don’t want something that sacrifices leverage/ease of shift for handle height. Currently I have the M Performance knob and would like to retain that or the OEM knob.

The Rogue Engineering SSK has a great price point in comparison, but I’m not exactly sure what the biggest differences are in the design.

Feel free to share your thoughts on other SSK’s not listed here.

My questions are:

What are the major differences between the SSK’s besides what is already listed?

Is there an SSK that is easier/harder to install than others on the market?

Does installation require you to get under the vehicle?

Option 1: Rogue Engineering Octane Short Shift kit

Carrier replacement (with RE Delrin bushings and pivot cup)
RE shifter lever, featuring shorter throws without additional height
New pivot cup, new washers

Option 2: UUC Evo 3 SSK

100% CNC-machined 303 stainless steel construction
All-bearing assembly
No plastic
UUC's "massive overkill" design philosophy exemplified
Height-adjustable design
Made in the USA

Option 3: Shifteck SSK

Shifter movement rReduced by 25-30%
Shift knob height reduced by .5"
Designed for OEM shift knob
Retains OEM quality, fitment and shifter location at rest
Includes appropriate hardware
Attached Images

/// M3
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 11:48 AM   #2
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Not directly familiar with any of them.

On the E92, RE had inconsistent throws.
UUC is generally horrible.

When I get my F80 it'll keep the stock setup until Autosolutions can build a kit for it!
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2016, 12:08 PM   #3
Brasko
#LSBM3
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Not directly familiar with any of them.

On the E92, RE had inconsistent throws.
UUC is generally horrible.

When I get my F80 it'll keep the stock setup until Autosolutions can build a kit for it!
Thanks for your feedback!

That's what worries me. I don't want to spend the money on something that has not been perfected. Especially considering the install time involved.

Haven't heard of Auto Solutions. Any idea when they might have their SSK ready for market?

/// M3
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 12:16 PM   #4
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
We've found the stock 6MT shifter to be pretty good, instead upgrading the clutch pedal from the cheap plastic design to a billet aluminum version.

Not only is this a shorter throw (15mm lower), The UCP eliminates the side to side slop on the pedal (brass bushings) and lines them up with the other pedals. Also tons easier to install.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2016, 12:18 PM   #5
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

I say use the stock shifter and the stock pedal. No problems shifting quickly and precisely with either.
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2016, 12:27 PM   #6
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

I've been looking for a SSK as well. From what I've gathered, none seem like a home run. I've yet to hear any feedback about the RE kit. The UUC one still seems to not sit 100% like OEM in neutral for some, although others have reported it did for them and posted pics where it looks perfect. The Shifteck kit looks almost identical to the UUC, and one of the vendors has confirmed it is just a little off in the neutral position.

From the design, I'd guess the UUC/Shifteck would feel more 'mechanical', whereas the RE would be more similar to OEM, while shortening the throws a bit.

As for the length, I wouldn't let that sway you toward UUC necessarily. I believe that at the highest setting, the UUC is the same height as RE or Shifteck (I could be wrong here).

In terms of installation, nearly everybody seems to say it requires getting under the car. That is definitely true for the RE kit. The carrier is impossible to replace otherwise. For the UUC and Shifteck, there are an extremely select few people that have done it from above only (on the F8X and other past BMW's), but if you have seen or have any experience in installing SSK's in BMW's, you'll realize that it's not ideal, and difficult at best.

I've been looking at another possibility; if it pans out in the next few weeks, I'll post some comments here.
Appreciate 2
      03-16-2016, 01:13 PM   #7
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

I have the UUC SSK Version 2. Here are a couple notes.
  • My version 2 SSK sits straight and centered.
  • The shifts are short and mechanical.
  • There is a little more mechanical noise compared to OEM.
  • I have it set to the highest setting which is about the same height as OEM but you can go lower.
  • According to ACM, you need to go under the car to install this.
  • Reverse gear is the only gear that feels weird to me. It feels like the gate is not as deep. Other gears are perfect.

When it comes down to it, driving experience is more important to me than anything else on this car. So the UUC SSK is my 2nd favorite mod on the M3 (after the JRZ Suspension of course). I didn't mind the OEM shift kit but the only thing I didn't like about it was the "rubbery" feel; the UUC fixed this.

Some more info on my specific UUC SSK is here.
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...&highlight=uuc
Appreciate 4
boss2k1069.00
      03-16-2016, 03:16 PM   #8
Brian135i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 16' M3

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [0.00]
I have the RE short shifter and it's not bad. Not the best shifter in the world, but it is better then stock. It removes some of that rubber feeling and each gear change is more precise. (Requiring a little more effort to change gear.)

I recently went to the drag strip and the car perform flawlessly.
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2016, 04:38 PM   #9
mshab356
Go ///M or go home
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas
We've found the stock 6MT shifter to be pretty good, instead upgrading the clutch pedal from the cheap plastic design to a billet aluminum version.

Not only is this a shorter throw (15mm lower), The UCP eliminates the side to side slop on the pedal (brass bushings) and lines them up with the other pedals. Also tons easier to install.
More info on this product please? Thanks

GONE 2011 SG/Blk E92 M3 CS 6MT
Appreciate 12
      03-16-2016, 06:22 PM   #10
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshab356 View Post
You have PM.

Appreciate 1
      03-17-2016, 07:05 AM   #11
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brasko View Post
Thanks for your feedback!

That's what worries me. I don't want to spend the money on something that has not been perfected. Especially considering the install time involved.

Haven't heard of Auto Solutions. Any idea when they might have their SSK ready for market?
Autosolutions is a tiny company that builds what is very widely recognized as the best SSK on the market in E46M cars. You can call them and you speak to Ronald, the owner and designer of the kits.
I have their E46M kit in a 30% reduction. Over 90k miles, 3 years of track use and it's the closest thing to a GT3 RS we're ever getting in an M3
The mechanical feel of my E46 M's shifter is incredible, I can shift extremely quickly thanks to a very precise, accurate movement.

They are just starting to release some E92M kits, I have one on order for my E92 for this track season, it'll be installed in the next month.

I'm ordering an F80 6MT later this year after being unable to get an allocation for several months. I'll call and ask for a F8X kit to be built, realistically we are probably a whole year out from having one.
However, I would prefer to keep the stock setup until there's something I really like on the market. The install of a SSK is expensive.

BTW, I have the clutch pedal EAS shows in this thread on the E92. It's nice, although I still want a SSK to create the perfect combination!

Last edited by SYT_Shadow; 03-17-2016 at 08:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 01:46 PM   #12
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I did a little write-up/review.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1211871

Bottom line: I really like it
Appreciate 3
      03-17-2016, 01:56 PM   #13
mshab356
Go ///M or go home
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3 6MT

This is great! I'm a little concerned with the spring swap though...thanks for the review!

GONE 2011 SG/Blk E92 M3 CS 6MT
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 10:04 AM   #14
Brasko
#LSBM3
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post

Thanks for the info Tom! I've been considering the UCP pedal for the 15mm lower placement and the metal bushings. Seems like something BMW should have already done during manufacturing.

/// M3
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 10:07 AM   #15
Brasko
#LSBM3
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
I say use the stock shifter and the stock pedal. No problems shifting quickly and precisely with either.
I might just do that until a better solution is available. I did replace the shiftknob/boot with the M Performance one this past week. The feel is definitely improved, but the squishy, rubber bushings are killing me.

Can someone just make Delrin (or equivalent) replacement bushings for the OEM shifter? That would be my idea set up.

/// M3
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 10:13 AM   #16
Brasko
#LSBM3
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by exo-shell View Post
I have the UUC SSK Version 2. Here are a couple notes.
  • My version 2 SSK sits straight and centered.
  • The shifts are short and mechanical.
  • There is a little more mechanical noise compared to OEM.
  • I have it set to the highest setting which is about the same height as OEM but you can go lower.
  • According to ACM, you need to go under the car to install this.
  • Reverse gear is the only gear that feels weird to me. It feels like the gate is not as deep. Other gears are perfect.

When it comes down to it, driving experience is more important to me than anything else on this car. So the UUC SSK is my 2nd favorite mod on the M3 (after the JRZ Suspension of course). I didn't mind the OEM shift kit but the only thing I didn't like about it was the "rubbery" feel; the UUC fixed this.

Some more info on my specific UUC SSK is here.
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...&highlight=uuc

As always, great input. Thanks for taking the time to share.

I agree with you on driving experience. That is more important to me than anything else. With that said, (and not to get off topic) but the shifter & Delrin bushing upgrade on my Evo 8 made the largest difference next to the Sparco seats.

I wouldn't touch the shifter if BMW would just toss out the rubber shifter & clutch pedal bushings for some metal ones. I'll even sacrifice a little HP/TQ if it came down to it. Haha

/// M3
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 10:16 AM   #17
Brasko
#LSBM3
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketBoots View Post
I did a little write-up/review.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1211871

Bottom line: I really like it

Thanks for the link! I actually read your write up before. Thanks for sharing. Seems like the pedal is an easy, must have upgrade. Especially considering us 6MT drivers use the clutch pedal more than anything else in the car.

/// M3
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 01:15 PM   #18
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This is great! I'm a little concerned with the spring swap though...thanks for the review!
The spring is really easy as long as you do it in the way I mentioned in my post. I just had to do a little trial/error before I figured it out
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 11:19 AM   #19
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

The Shifteck shifter has been fairly popular. It was extremely popular in the E9X chassis. Good value per dollar.

I'm hoping some recent customers share the experience but I dont know if they are on the boards.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 11:29 AM   #20
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Thanks for the link! I actually read your write up before. Thanks for sharing. Seems like the pedal is an easy, must have upgrade. Especially considering us 6MT drivers use the clutch pedal more than anything else in the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketBoots View Post
The spring is really easy as long as you do it in the way I mentioned in my post. I just had to do a little trial/error before I figured it out
Very simple once completed, just looks a bit intimidating beforehand. Most of the UCP installs are completed in under an hour.

Appreciate 1
      03-28-2016, 09:56 AM   #21
Brasko
#LSBM3
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Anyone know of a company that makes Delrin (or better) bushing to replace the OEM rubber bushings? Would love to retain the OEM shifter with proper bushings and a clutch pedal upgrade. That would be my ideal.

Tom, If you decide to develop some, I've got an LSB M3 CP on the way that would be the perfect test bed.

/// M3

Last edited by Brasko; 03-28-2016 at 10:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 12:54 PM   #22
SROC3
The limit of adhesion is my home.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss.

Quote:
Anyone know of a company that makes Delrin (or better) bushing to replace the OEM rubber bushings? Would love to retain the OEM shifter with proper bushings and a clutch pedal upgrade. That would be my ideal.

Tom, If you decide to develop some, I've got an LSB M3 CP on the way that would be the perfect test bed.
+1 - I have an M4 too Tom that you could use for testing!!!! )))))))