Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

05-13-2018, 05:57 PM   #1
baobao
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F82 M4

Question question about catless DP

I would like to change the catless DP and did some search on the forum but still have questions. I am in Canada so don't need to worry about emission testing. Then the only question is CEL. Since I always have a CEL for the fail O2 sensor after I change the catless DP. Then I am curious if there's another problem which will also cause CEL (say really have some problems with the engine), will I be notified about that? I ask this because I never have a CEL before so I don't know how it works.

I read a lot on the forum about the BMS OBDII CAN which can delete the CEL for DP. But when I check their website, I didn't find this feature. Did they just delete this? (And why?) If so, is there any easy way to delete CEL for service purpose?

Also, if I just change the DP for sound, do I need to do tuning? IS there any negative impact if I don't do tuning? Since the improvement of tunning for Dp seems not that big, I may choose not to tune if no negative impact.

Thank you all!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2018, 06:43 PM   #2
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i, 21 911S, 24 Taycan

You can run DPs without tuning and will experience quicker turbo spool, louder exhaust, crappier smelling fumes. You would be wrong about lack of improvement in tuning. DPs will allow you to turn up boost more and run true stage II tunes that will push you up to 500 wheel hp without severely over taxing your turbos.

If you plan on not tuning your car, I wouldn’t bother with DPs. All you will do is pollute more, get marginally better performance and have to deal with CEL and crappy exhaust fumes.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2018, 11:52 PM   #3
Lee808
Out in the middle of the sea
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

To be honest, if you keep secondary cats. One would be hard pressed to smell a difference. Either that or I am extremely nose blind.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 01:53 PM   #4
baobao
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterZgo View Post
You can run DPs without tuning and will experience quicker turbo spool, louder exhaust, crappier smelling fumes. You would be wrong about lack of improvement in tuning. DPs will allow you to turn up boost more and run true stage II tunes that will push you up to 500 wheel hp without severely over taxing your turbos.

If you plan on not tuning your car, I wouldn’t bother with DPs. All you will do is pollute more, get marginally better performance and have to deal with CEL and crappy exhaust fumes.
Thank you for correcting me. So the flash tune can give some good improvement on performance. Will piggyback do the same improvement, or it can just do a marginal improvement?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 01:54 PM   #5
baobao
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee808 View Post
To be honest, if you keep secondary cats. One would be hard pressed to smell a difference. Either that or I am extremely nose blind.
Thats a good news for me since I didn't have a plan to change the middle pipe yet.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 02:44 PM   #6
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i, 21 911S, 24 Taycan

Quote:
Originally Posted by baobao View Post
Thank you for correcting me. So the flash tune can give some good improvement on performance. Will piggyback do the same improvement, or it can just do a marginal improvement?
Flash and piggyback can both add noticeable power with DPs. At this stage in the game, I would personally go flash all the way. Some like piggybacks like BMS for logging and other features (remote control of exhaust valve, adjustment of lights, turning on-off active sound, etc. that the JB4 provides) but if you go with a JB4, I'd still get an MHD flash to unlock the most potential of the car.

If you don't care about those extra features, just get a BM3 and call it a day, or just don't bother tuning and keep your stock DPs.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 03:30 PM   #7
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by baobao View Post
I would like to change the catless DP and did some search on the forum but still have questions. I am in Canada so don't need to worry about emission testing. Then the only question is CEL. Since I always have a CEL for the fail O2 sensor after I change the catless DP. Then I am curious if there's another problem which will also cause CEL (say really have some problems with the engine), will I be notified about that? I ask this because I never have a CEL before so I don't know how it works.

I read a lot on the forum about the BMS OBDII CAN which can delete the CEL for DP. But when I check their website, I didn't find this feature. Did they just delete this? (And why?) If so, is there any easy way to delete CEL for service purpose?

Also, if I just change the DP for sound, do I need to do tuning? IS there any negative impact if I don't do tuning? Since the improvement of tunning for Dp seems not that big, I may choose not to tune if no negative impact.

Thank you all!
In that past BMS was able to auto clear the check engine light for going catless. However, since late 2017 all new firmware eliminates the auto clear for that. As a result, you can manually clear the CEL but it will come back on. They never advertised these capabilities and don't intend to because they are trying to gain compliance with CARB.

You can do catless DP without tuning, understanding there will be a CEL.

All you need to ask yourself is why you want downpipes. If you want them for power then you should be getting a tune regardless as it's the biggest power adder.

If you just want them for sound and don't mind the CEL then don't get a tune.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 09:00 PM   #8
jafza412
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M4 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
In that past BMS was able to auto clear the check engine light for going catless. However, since late 2017 all new firmware eliminates the auto clear for that. As a result, you can manually clear the CEL but it will come back on. They never advertised these capabilities and don't intend to because they are trying to gain compliance with CARB.
Does Bootmod3 auto clear the CEL? Or can none of the tunes do that anymore?

Current: 2016 M3 | Mineral Grey on Black
Retired: 2010 E92 335xi, 2007 E90 328i, 2010 A4, 2003 E46 325xi
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 12:19 AM   #9
Schultz28
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Mini cats!

http://www.bigdaddiesgarage.com/mini...SABEgKn7_D_BwE
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 06:35 AM   #10
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jafza412 View Post
Does Bootmod3 auto clear the CEL? Or can none of the tunes do that anymore?
I believe all tunes except VF can clear the CEL.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 06:34 PM   #11
ObiChen
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11'E90 / 18'F82

Garage List
2018 BMW F82 M4  [0.00]
It is funny that someone wants DPs but not tunes. DPs are performance mod not sound mod IMO. I got mine only because BM3 stage II recommends otherwise I'll never bother. If you don't care about performance, just get midpipes or catback exhaust, they are much better than DPs in terms of sound.

As of CEL, most tunes clear CEL for DPs and I believe keeping CEL off is necessary because in case some other parts go wrong, you need CEL to be noticed.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 06:42 PM   #12
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiChen View Post
It is funny that someone wants DPs but not tunes. DPs are performance mod not sound mod IMO. I got mine only because BM3 stage II recommends otherwise I'll never bother. If you don't care about performance, just get midpipes or catback exhaust, they are much better than DPs in terms of sound.

As of CEL, most tunes clear CEL for DPs and I believe keeping CEL off is necessary because in case some other parts go wrong, you need CEL to be noticed.
I disagree. DPs add a good amount of volume to an otherwise stock exhaust and make the sound more aggressive as well. Not to mention they are usually a fraction of the price of a midpipe or axel back setup. Plus they are direct bolt on with no cutting required.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2018, 06:21 PM   #13
BMW9
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 / Nissan GTR

I had DPs on my M4. You feel the difference when you go back to stock. They did make a difference in improving throttle response and power. The power gain is minor and mostly noticed on the top end. You do get more volume of sound but be aware that the sound quality is very raspy and resonating. I could feel the vibrations as the revs climbed up. It is annoying if you compare it to a proper cat back exhaust. Now that I'm back to stock, I do miss the gains but, the car is much smoother.
Appreciate 0