Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

08-06-2015, 09:52 PM   #1
itsdg
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

No secondary cats and X-Pipe Standard Exhaust?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hi guys,

I've just picked up my M3 and have been looking at a lot of the exhaust configurations on here. I have sourced a second hand standard exhaust that i'm looking to modify.

It seems to be popular to do an X-Pipe in place of the standard resonator and removing the secondary cats and replacing with race mufflers, however I am looking to do an x pipe and replace the secondary cats with straight pipe (no race mufflers).

Does anybody have this setup? Opinions and hopefully a sound clip??
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2015, 10:53 PM   #2
M3soHRNY
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Yaz Blu

I'm running Remus mid pipe only stock everything else.. I will try and make a video but my work hours arent in my favor.

it is no longer muffled like stock making an M3 sound like a Prius. It is louder and when under full acceleration you can hear it "roar" if you will.

I will try to do it Sunday work and weather permitting
Appreciate 1
      08-07-2015, 11:17 AM   #3
JTO24
never could compete with Lloyd Braun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3soHRNY View Post
I'm running Remus mid pipe only stock everything else.. I will try and make a video but my work hours arent in my favor.

it is no longer muffled like stock making an M3 sound like a Prius. It is louder and when under full acceleration you can hear it "roar" if you will.

Can you PM me how much this ran you? Did you get both remus pipes so it bolts directly to the DPs or did you have to cut on both sides to fit it?
2015 F80 M3 DCT | Tanzanite Blue | Gold Brown (sold)
2013 E92 M3 6MT | Mineral White | Fox Red/Black (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2015, 11:39 AM   #4
M3soHRNY
Private First Class
Rep

only had to cut muffler side and use clamps. direct bolt to DP.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2015, 12:34 PM   #5
ryank382
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Z4 M Roadster

Quote:

im interested in this setup too! sound clip would be great. Are the remus midpipes just straight pipes that replace the secondary cats and res? do the pipes cross over (x-pipe)? and was it pricey? sorry for all the questions lol
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2015, 01:18 PM   #6
M3soHRNY
Private First Class
Rep

I will do the cold start video when I get home with and without valves opened.

I will try to do some driving around with camera on Sunday.

the highlighted in Yellow is what I got. the front section from DP back and bolts to the "X" pipe where secondary cat and res are gone. You will need to cut where it meets with the factory muffler and slip the factory pipe into the remus pipe clamp down and your cooking. You can also weld if you like but we were tired and I may end up doing a muffler system later on.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-07-2015, 06:11 PM   #7
CaryTheLabelGuy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP

Quote:
I will do the cold start video when I get home with and without valves opened.

I will try to do some driving around with camera on Sunday.

the highlighted in Yellow is what I got. the front section from DP back and bolts to the "X" pipe where secondary cat and res are gone. You will need to cut where it meets with the factory muffler and slip the factory pipe into the remus pipe clamp down and your cooking. You can also weld if you like but we were tired and I may end up doing a muffler system later on.
This is actually an "H" pipe, not an "X" pipe.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2015, 09:34 PM   #8
M3soHRNY
Private First Class
Rep

^Thanks I mean to type H but from the previous post saying "x" it was on my mind when typing.

I'm not the best when it comes to doing the correct angle ETC. it started with valves completely open then I had them closed off after the high pitch. My wife walked out with my daughter

I will try to get some driving around so you all can get a better idea.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2015, 01:33 AM   #9
kitw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F91 M8, 991.2 GT3

Dang it, I tried to buy the Remus mid pipe and was told I couldn't get it separately from the muffler. Oh well.

DSC_3369 by Kit W, on Flickr
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2015, 09:10 AM   #10
TheRealOrosie
BMW Fan Boy
United_States
Rep
Drives: //M

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangreene View Post
Hi guys,

I've just picked up my M3 and have been looking at a lot of the exhaust configurations on here. I have sourced a second hand standard exhaust that i'm looking to modify.

It seems to be popular to do an X-Pipe in place of the standard resonator and removing the secondary cats and replacing with race mufflers, however I am looking to do an x pipe and replace the secondary cats with straight pipe (no race mufflers).

Does anybody have this setup? Opinions and hopefully a sound clip??
I am running Supersprint mid-pipes, which omit the secondary cats and replace stock resonator with H-pipe. I have clips with stock muffler and my Dinan muffler. The sound with the valves set to open is very similar...with a bit of a deeper tone with the Dinan. With the valves set to OEM default, the Dinan def has the sound advantage. Quite frankly I really bought the Dinan primarily for looks. It gets rid of that ugly stock can, and the tips are beautiful IMO. The added tone it provides is icing on the cake. The SS mid-pipes give a nice little power bump as well, by increasing flow.

Supersprint with stock muffler

Superspint with Dinan muffler

Appreciate 0