Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

02-25-2018, 07:38 AM   #617
chewbakam4
Major
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

They said that random issue with car shutting off after flashing was fixed. It was coding related. They just have this code for fuel light left to solve on some cars that it shows on.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 07:39 AM   #618
jwoo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competetion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SO17 View Post
Last time I looked (with agent 0.9.54 so it my be different with a later agent)
there was a > symbol on the far right of each map entry. Click on that and it will give you the option to delete. I suppose you could delete the maps that are not in your preferred order and select them again in 'your' correct order.
I can only delete the OTS maps, not the maps I requested a revision for. For example, the GTS and CS can be deletedm but he other maps I do not see that option...
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 07:41 AM   #619
SO17
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 MY M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwoo View Post
I can only delete the OTS maps, not the maps I requested a revision for. For example, the GTS and CS can be deletedm but he other maps I do not see that option...
Sorry. I mis read your original post and didn't see that you were referring to custom maps. I can't help you with that, unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 07:45 AM   #620
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4cs | 2022 M550i

I have a related question to the above - if you delete an OTS map such as Stage 1 does the platform remember that you “bought” it already and not count an additional map credit when you try to add it back?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 08:04 AM   #621
chewbakam4
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmostro View Post
I have a related question to the above - if you delete an OTS map such as Stage 1 does the platform remember that you “bought” it already and not count an additional map credit when you try to add it back?
It does I’ve done that before while testing out different versions.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 08:05 AM   #622
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4cs | 2022 M550i

Awesome thank you!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 08:07 AM   #623
chewbakam4
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwoo View Post
I can see how that button may be disabled for custom. What if the tuner you sent it to started working on it? I think they might just block you until tuner sends it back?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 01:57 PM   #624
ThomasR
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 X3 M40i

Garage List
I saw this last night and picked it up at my local Walmart:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Everstart...tion/138121225

Selectable 25 Amp continuous charge mode, $49. For me it's piece of mind when I unlock. I already have other battery chargers but none of them meet this +20 Amp continuous criteria so I look at this expense as just part of the price of tools for this mod.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 02:17 PM   #625
chewbakam4
Major
Rep

It looks fine to me as you’ll use it for 10 minutes tops anyways.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 02:22 PM   #626
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewbakam4 View Post
It looks fine to me as youÂ’ll use it for 10 minutes tops anyways.
If it's 10 min why do we need it?

Not bashing but an even better question is why don't we need this with the other OBD tuning solutions out there?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 02:50 PM   #627
chewbakam4
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post

Not bashing but an even better question is why don't we need this with the other OBD tuning solutions out there?
They said its to keep voltage stable. I’m sure many people don’t use one still and get away with it perfectly fine. FWIW I’ve never used any kind of a charger on mine.
Appreciate 1
      02-25-2018, 02:55 PM   #628
ThomasR
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:

For one other solutions don't flash as fast. Second I'm not going to take a chance on my ECU. Third PTF recommends it. These guys code cars all day every day. They have a hell of lot more experience than any of us.

Better safe than really $$$$orry.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 03:13 PM   #629
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
Quote:

For one other solutions don't flash as fast. Second I'm not going to take a chance on my ECU. Third PTF recommends it. These guys code cars all day every day. They have a hell of lot more experience than any of us.

Better safe than really $$$$orry.
If other solutions do not flash as fast (your words)then it stands to reason the other tuners would be recommending a charger. They don't. I'm just trying to understand why BM3 needs a $50-100 battery charger when others don't.

I'm not bashing here. I ran a PTF custom tune on my N54 335is by Jake. Loved it. I want to run BM3 but all the "hiccups" make me nervous. Coding issues, Cars unable to start or run correctly, Fuel pump light problems etc etc.....if you've read this thread then enough said.

I think this was released prematurely to get it out in the wild.

Look it's gonna be a great solution. Pricing is spot on, tons of customization, obviously great customer service.

There are just way to many bugs right now for me to install this on my DD.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 04:10 PM   #630
Hollywood Hogan
Captain
Rep
Drives: Sold: '13 RS5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Hogan View Post
Getting these errors. Car drives fine and pulls strong just don't know how to clear these codes. I tried reflashing but no luck
Bumping this up? Anyone seen these codes? I've tried reflashing over and over..both offline and online without any luck in clearing
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 04:20 PM   #631
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Scraper

Quote:
If other solutions do not flash as fast (your words)then it stands to reason the other tuners would be recommending a charger. They don't. I'm just trying to understand why BM3 needs a $50-100 battery charger when others don't.
I'm curious to know which OBD flash solution doesn't recommend the use of a battery charger? BPM, MHD, VF-E all recommend it to help ensure a successful flash operation. Personally, I think it's a low-key CYA recommendation due to flash tuning neophytes not knowing any better.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 04:25 PM   #632
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nars3000 View Post
Quote:
I'm curious to know which OBD flash solution doesn't recommend the use of a battery charger? BPM, MHD, VF-E all recommend it to help ensure a successful flash operation. Personally, I think it's a low-key CYA recommendation due to flash tuning neophytes not knowing any better.
Maybe they do "recommend" it but I haven't seen any instances (issues)on those threads like I do here. Why???

There definitely isn't a big deal made about using/having a charger like there is here. I'm not hating. Inquiring minds wanna know.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 04:35 PM   #633
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Maybe they do "recommend" it but I haven't seen any instances (issues)on those threads like I do here. Why???

There definitely isn't a big deal made about using/having a charger like there is here. I'm not hating. Inquiring minds wanna know.
Wait, you were so certain a few posts ago, but now it's a maybe?

Chargers are highly recommended because people are clueless to the true state of their batteries. Again, it's a CYA action item, and it also keeps the blame on the customer for failing to follow the recommended steps should an issue arise.

Perhaps the battery issues (if any) are more apparent with BM3, because almost everyone and their mamas are jumping shipped from a piggyback tune.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 04:54 PM   #634
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nars3000 View Post
Quote:

Wait, you were so certain a few posts ago, but now it's a maybe?

Chargers are highly recommended because people are clueless to the true state of their batteries. Again, it's a CYA action item, and it also keeps the blame on the customer for failing to follow the recommended steps should an issue arise.

Perhaps the battery issues (if any) are more apparent with BM3, because almost everyone and their mamas are jumping shipped from a piggyback tune.
Straight from the first page on the BPM thread and I quote. "The flash takes 10 min with no need to open the hood"
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 04:57 PM   #635
F80Paul
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 ZCP

I’ve successfully offline unlocked and map switched my car (2016 ZCP) over 50 times in the past few weeks doing testing and have never needed a charger. It is needed in case something doesn’t go smoothly and you are sitting in your car with the engine off for longer periods of time that you might realize. It’s precautionary.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 05:33 PM   #636
JBM4
Private
Rep
Drives: M4CS

Hey guys, I just got the car flashed Bm3 Stage 2 93 Octane Tune.

I was worried as well after reading a lot of the posts etc regarding cars not starting or shutting off, fuel light etc.

Also, the whole charger thing,

I decided to meet up with Dzenan himself who is local to go over everything and get the tune done in person.

Very nice guy, took time to go over everything with me and explained what was being worked on etc.

Flash took less than 15mins for everything we were hanging out 2hrs easy just talking about future things coming up etc.

Charger is only needed for Unlock and locking back to OEM as a precaution only. 20amps

No Fuel light, no shut offs, car runs amazing, 30min drive home, no adaption issues, car feels smooth like OEM, just more boost, more power.

New Panamera Turbo got a lil taste on the way back

GTS Trans Flash is a must for DCT cars. Really felt the clamp forces, holds the power strong in 1st + 2nd gear on Sport+ D3 or S3 which I ride in 99% of the time.

GTS Roar sounds nice.

Burbles are nice, Not too loud either, 3500ish RPM down when they come on,I was told that is being raised, also 3 new levels for burbles.

I had burbles when car was cold before as well, now I don't for 1-2 mins until car warms up a bit.

If anybody is worried, I was the same,but the Tune is well sorted out.
Minor tweeks are coming, but shouldn't deter anyone from pulling the trigger.

Thanks again Dzenan for his time and knowledge.
Also, shout out to Buloooski, he answered a lot of my questions before PTF got in touch with me.

My engine mods:
Akrapovic Full Exhaust, Akra Dp's
Afe Momentum cold-air-intake-system

Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 09:43 PM   #637
bb1857
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Garage List
2007 BMW 335 E92  [0.00]
2015 BMW 428GC  [0.00]
2014 BMW 535i  [0.00]
So I have been relatively quiet until things settled down on my end but I wanted to give everyone some info and hopefully it will help others who may run into an issue. A little backstory going to last Friday.

Did unlock with no issues, flashed stage one but got the fuel warning and couldn't get TCU to flash. Kept getting an error that it failed. Never had charger hooked up during this process and that was first mistake. Had Dzenan from PTS online and he figured it was a voltage issue so I got my GTI the next morning hooked up and we tried again. Finally got TCU flash to go through but had some challenges. Once that was done we tried to remove the fuel warning. Got halfway through and it failed. Tried many things, different chargers, tried to flash through esys and everything failed. Again we thought it was a voltage issue. Went and bought a standup charger and I made the mistake of hitting the boost which was 100 amps. Kept trying different things and nothing worked so my car went to the dealer for a full reprogramming and the battery got a full charge. Basically the car went into safe mode presumably from the 100 amp boost to protect the ECU.

Fast forward a few days and the car is fixed and running. I drive it a few days, do some recoding because everything I did was gone from the reprogramming but no big deal. I get a little antsy earlier today and try to do my Stage 1 flash and it failed again so my anxiety goes nuts. Was hooked to a charger the entire time and Dzenan jumps online basically within minutes of my panicked email and it keeps failing. Try to flash through esys and it keep timing out. We start thinking maybe it's the cable but I don't have another so Dzenan reaches out to Alex at Alpine and he remotes in as well. Right away Alex sees something neither of us thought of and that's the McAfee anti virus and firewall running on my laptop. He kills all of it and flashes my car remotely with his esys and bammmm the car is running. Go do a twenty minute drive and come back, reconnect with Dzenan, hook charger up, kill the McAfee again and flash rips through and has ZERO issues. Flashed the TCU and stage one with zero issues or warning lights and the car just rips.

Bottom line is I would highly suggest that you disable any security you are running if using a Windows machine while flashing. I think the first time it worked was because the McAfee was fooled because it had never seen it before then once it saw it running again it kept throwing up road blocks and basically learning and thinking it was a threat.

This was a super stressful ordeal but in the end how you are taken care of means the world and Dzenan has an incredible amount of pride in his work and his customers cars. I hope this helps anyone so they don't have to go through the issues I had.

Last edited by bb1857; 02-26-2018 at 10:09 AM..
Appreciate 4
      02-25-2018, 10:03 PM   #638
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep

bb1857 Sucks to hear about the AV being the culprit. Hope it wasn't that expensive of a lesson to learn. I deal with resolving complex system related issues for a living, and know how it's like when your run-of-the-mill Sys Admin/Engineer are forced to throw in the white flag. Basic variables like AV and Firewall are often overlooked for application and network related issues in many environments -- this applies to both MacOS and Windows in my experience, and I've seen plenty.

It may help to include the following safety checks prior to flashing:

* Disable Windows Defender
* Disable Windows Defender Security Center
* Verify that no dual instances of Windows System Protection (legacy) and Windows Defender exist
* Disable Windows Firewall
* Disable 3rd-party Security Software
* Disable Ad-blocker
* Ensure system uptime is recent; reboot if necessary
Appreciate 2
bb1857868.00