Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

08-19-2017, 09:14 AM   #1
ptper
Major
Rep
Drives: '18 Avus Blue F80

Turner Aluminum Skid Plate

Just got this email from ECS Tuning a few days ago for a new oil cooler guard from Turner (just before they got hacked, lol). It looks like they're back up and running though:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-turner-m...021491tms01~a/

The F8x M3/M4 models are simply amazing to drive, don't let road debris keep you from enjoying the moment. These cars have so much packed under the hood to get you this experience it cause the oil cooler to be placed face down to the road. This makes the cooler an easy target for impact since the stock belly pan is designed from flexible plastic material. We've seen stories from small branches, scrap pieces that fell from trucks to large ice chunks impact the cooler immediately draining the car of its oil. If you don't catch this right away this could cause serious internal engine damage from oil starvation.

Turners in-house engineering designed a skid plate to protect your oil cooler from these unfortunate situations and still maintain a stock like architecture. The idea was to design something much stronger and that still keeps the weight to a minimum, using 8 GA 5052 Aluminum covered their goal coming in at only 5 lbs. Since the Turner skid plate weighs only 3 lbs more than the plastic OE piece this makes the Turner plate the lightest metal option on the market. This skid plate requires no modification and mounts using the existing factory hardware the OE belly pan was fastened with. Using a trim seal to press against the oil cooler allows the air flow to pull heat from the cooler like vacuum the same way the OE belly pan was designed.

Features:

Designed to maintain the OE cooling and fitment
Manufactured from 8 GA 5052 Aluminum
Maintains factory hardware and mounting points
No cutting or modification required
5 lbs total weight, only 3 lbs more than the plastic OE
Made in America!

Thinking about getting some sort of protection. What do others think? Anybody have the one from IND/Fall Line and are happy with it?

Last edited by ptper; 08-20-2017 at 06:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2017, 10:17 AM   #2
JamesGames
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 550i|F82 M4|F48 X1|VA STi

I'm not so sure a thin sheet of metal will help much if the oil cooler is subject to getting smashed in.. at that height any rock or whatever that wedges in-between the floor and oil cooler is going to take the oil cooler out, regardless of sheet metal or not IMO.. I feel a front lip that will push away whatever you're about to hit is a better investment (while destroying your front lip), but that's just my 2 cents
Appreciate 1
ptper589.00
      08-19-2017, 05:36 PM   #3
ptper
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGames View Post
I'm not so sure a thin sheet of metal will help much if the oil cooler is subject to getting smashed in.. at that height any rock or whatever that wedges in-between the floor and oil cooler is going to take the oil cooler out, regardless of sheet metal or not IMO.. I feel a front lip that will push away whatever you're about to hit is a better investment (while destroying your front lip), but that's just my 2 cents
Maybe get both then, ha!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2017, 05:51 PM   #4
BuLoOoSki
Colonel
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

I've had the Fall-Line oil guard for a year and a half now, and I'm glad I made the investment in one. It has saved my oil cooler at least once from running over a shredded truck tire that I couldn't swerve away from. I've seen the underside of my car and that oil cooler guard took a strong beating from the incident, and I'm pretty sure that the oil cooler wouldn't have survived if it wasn't for it.

I definitely recommend getting one. Turner Motorsports have a strong reputation and their version seems to be priced more attractively, so give them a try if you're debating between the two.
2015 BMW F80 M3: Tractive EDC Suspension / Dinan Anti-Roll Bars / GC Camber Plates / KMP Dual Diff Mount / Girodisc Rotors / GT4 Brake Cooling Kit / PTF Flash Tune / Eisenmann Downpipes / CSF Heat Exchanger / BMS Charge Pipes
2007 BMW E92 335i (SOLD): BMS JB4 / Quaife LSD / Riss Racing DPs / Helix Intercooler / BMS Intake / STETT Charge Pipe / Forge DVs
Appreciate 2
ptper589.00
      08-19-2017, 05:59 PM   #5
BuLoOoSki
Colonel
Kuwait
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGames View Post
That's not necessarily true, you can still hit whatever it is in your way with your front lip and have it go underneath and smack the underside. The oil cooler guards are overpriced I admit, way overpriced, but I wouldn't say it's not serving a purpose.
2015 BMW F80 M3: Tractive EDC Suspension / Dinan Anti-Roll Bars / GC Camber Plates / KMP Dual Diff Mount / Girodisc Rotors / GT4 Brake Cooling Kit / PTF Flash Tune / Eisenmann Downpipes / CSF Heat Exchanger / BMS Charge Pipes
2007 BMW E92 335i (SOLD): BMS JB4 / Quaife LSD / Riss Racing DPs / Helix Intercooler / BMS Intake / STETT Charge Pipe / Forge DVs
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2017, 06:08 PM   #6
goneloco
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
I have the Fall Line guard. I bought it after running over a tire tread on the highway. It bent my front lip and the mounting hardware (lightweight lip). The plastic guard under the oil cooler broke, but the oil cooler survived. I replaced the lip with M Performance.

It's a great piece of mind. Especially if you drive in snow.
2003 M3 Coupe (Sold)
1998 M3 Sedan (RIP)
Appreciate 2
ptper589.00
      08-19-2017, 07:19 PM   #7
JamesGames
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 550i|F82 M4|F48 X1|VA STi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuLoOoSki View Post
That's not necessarily true, you can still hit whatever it is in your way with your front lip and have it go underneath and smack the underside. The oil cooler guards are overpriced I admit, way overpriced, but I wouldn't say it's not serving a purpose.
Again it was my 2 cents. Take it how you want. My point was a thin sheet metal isn't going to support a rock. It might save you from light debris, but the oil cooler is stronger than that sheet metal.. so if a rock wedges in-between your car and the oil cooler you can be damn sure that undertray is going to be bent to hell.

My point regarding front lip is they are significantly lower than the oil cooler. The idea is hopefully the front lip will clear it out and damage front lip. If you think this sheet metal will save you then enjoy your undertray. Just my 2 cents. Having both is probably the best protection, but again I don't see how that piece would save you from a rock (which is what damages the oil cooler most of the time).
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2017, 07:43 PM   #8
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

I got it a month ago and installed it...prolly the first one they sold. My plastic one was torn to shit but i am....wait ....was lowered 1.5 in in the front with back rake. I hit a lot of shit and road under hard g-outs in the mountain runs. I was getting worried so it adds a lil bit of security. I had already scraped it once before I totaled the car. I was going to do a write up but failed to get to it and the car is gone now......I might still do it but the fit was perfect and pretty light compared to the fall line stainless unit
Appreciate 1
ptper589.00
      08-20-2017, 03:34 AM   #9
BuLoOoSki
Colonel
Kuwait
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehagerty View Post
I got it a month ago and installed it...prolly the first one they sold. My plastic one was torn to shit but i am....wait ....was lowered 1.5 in in the front with back rake. I hit a lot of shit and road under hard g-outs in the mountain runs. I was getting worried so it adds a lil bit of security. I had already scraped it once before I totaled the car. I was going to do a write up but failed to get to it and the car is gone now......I might still do it but the fit was perfect and pretty light compared to the fall line stainless unit
Yep, if their 5lb weight claim is accurate then its nearly half the weight of the fall-line option! Given that, I'd be interested to know more details about thickness of both guards because I understand that Aluminum is lighter than SS but it's not half the weight. So if it's made very thin to save weight, then strength is sacrificed, which sort of defeats the purpose of the guard.

If thickness/strength checks out, then its a no brainer. The Turner option would be less than 2/3 of the price and half the weight.
Appreciate 1
ptper589.00
      08-20-2017, 06:38 AM   #10
ptper
Major
Rep

I added the description to the op that talks about weight and material for the skidplate. I also looked at the instructions for Fall Line. It looks like there is some cutting involved with the oem guard, and you have to use a drill to expand the holes of the parking blocks to have theirs bolt right up. May not be a factor to those who don't plan on trying to resell later on, but it's a consideration for others.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2017, 06:40 AM   #11
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Yep, if their 5lb weight claim is accurate then its nearly half the weight of the fall-line option! Given that, I'd be interested to know more details about thickness of both guards because I understand that Aluminum is lighter than SS but it's not half the weight. So if it's made very thin to save weight, then strength is sacrificed, which sort of defeats the purpose of the guard.

If thickness/strength checks out, then its a no brainer. The Turner option would be less than 2/3 of the price and half the weight.
I will weigh it in a bit and report back

Last edited by horsepower_and_hounds; 02-13-2024 at 02:29 PM..
Appreciate 1
      08-20-2017, 06:23 PM   #12
dzvero
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M$4 F82

you can buy 2 coolers for that price
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2017, 06:52 PM   #13
BuLoOoSki
Colonel
Kuwait
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzvero View Post
you can buy 2 coolers for that price
Does that include labor costs? Or does it include the oil you need to top up your car with? Or does it include your wasted time on the side of road waiting for a bed to take your car to a dealership?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2017, 06:54 PM   #14
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:

Density of Aluminum (0.10 lb/in^3) is almost 1/3rd the density of SS (0.29 lb/in^3).
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 06:22 PM   #15
swifty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80, Levante & Tesla 100D

How are you guys liking the Turner guard.

Anyone pair this up with a mesh cover also?

Last edited by swifty; 02-21-2018 at 06:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 07:36 PM   #16
Caliboy951
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

I'm in manufacturing and can make these out of 304 stainless (much stronger than aluminum) for a fraction of the price if anyone is interested? I assumed they are laser cut, stamped and welded.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 07:59 PM   #17
swifty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80, Levante & Tesla 100D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliboy951 View Post
I'm in manufacturing and can make these out of 304 stainless (much stronger than aluminum) for a fraction of the price if anyone is interested? I assumed they are laser cut, stamped and welded.
Definitely interested. PayPal ready.

Can you also consider a mesh too?
Past: Alpine white e46 323i, Jet Black e39 530, Saph Black e60 530, Space Grey N54 e92 335, Mineral White N55 e92 335
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 08:07 PM   #18
Caliboy951
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty View Post

Absolutely. If anyone has a sketch or drawing I will be back at the factories March 15th and we can make anything.

Does anyone have one I could borrow to get the dimensions and then we can make any changes? I ideally need the .igs files.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 08:52 AM   #19
4everkidd
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 AY M3

Quote:
Absolutely. If anyone has a sketch or drawing I will be back at the factories March 15th and we can make anything.

Does anyone have one I could borrow to get the dimensions and then we can make any changes? I ideally need the .igs files.
in as well
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2018, 10:11 AM   #20
BigDog
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB F80

In for one also!!!!
      02-22-2018, 02:43 PM   #21
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty View Post

Quote:

I see the conundrum of an open design for cooling vs a more closed design for protection. But I'd be totally in for a mesh version if it didn't restrict cooling.

I'm not a fabricator or engineer, but can something like this be done? Is it even a good design?
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      02-22-2018, 03:40 PM   #22
4everkidd
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 AY M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by exo-shell View Post
I see the conundrum of an open design for cooling vs a more closed design for protection. But I'd be totally in for a mesh version if it didn't restrict cooling.

I'm not a fabricator or engineer, but can something like this be done? Is it even a good design?
Hard to tell if it is a good design without holding it in person, and seeing it mounted to the car. The images leave alot of questions in terms of angles, airflow etc. Both options look like well designed components.

Regardless i'm sure airflow is sufficient as there is quite a bit of open area.
Appreciate 0