ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

03-14-2017, 09:17 AM   #1
ghost34
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235

Garage List
Anybody own a Jag XK R?

I received a first right of refusal offer for a 2013 Jaguar XK R due to tragic circumstances I won't go into. It has 8500 miles on it and was well cared for. I've never driven one but been in this car a couple of times. It sounds epic, its beautiful, and its fast, its a great GT car. In some ways, the interior is a step up from my M4, in other ways, the M4 is 2-3 notches above it. The tech is sooo dated, but the 510HP makes you quickly forget its shortcomings.

This was a 100k car a few years ago and the offer is well below market value, the seller just wants to sell it quickly. If I buy it, I won't sell it, I'll feel obligated to hold on to it for a while.

That said, it would make my M4 redundant, the M4 is a completely different animal and something I'm not truly using to its potential, I'm not tracking it, basically using it as a knife edged GT car. Its not a daily driver, so I loved every mile I put on it in 2.5 years.

Buy a super cheap XK R (20k below market), sell my M4 or pass on it and keep my car. Its an intriguing offer.

I'd love some feedback from anyone that has owned both or had good seat time in the Jag.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 10:12 AM   #2
erind
Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: Ftype R, M4

Do yourself a favor and don't buy the XK-R. Yes it is a good gt car but its old.
The multimedia sucks and if you show it some corners you will soon realise that the M4 is on another level of handeling. If you are looking for a Jag then the Ftype-R is the only way to go.
I love my jag but for a track day I'll take my M4 anyday of the week.
      03-14-2017, 10:21 AM   #3
instantexpert
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 40e

This sounds less like a decision about the car than about the personal circumstances involved. If the sentiment for the car outweighs the tech/handling benefits of the BMW, it could be worth doing.

If there's no sentiment involved, though, it's probably better to let it go to another home.
      03-14-2017, 10:22 AM   #4
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by erind View Post
Do yourself a favor and don't buy the XK-R. Yes it is a good gt car but its old.
The multimedia sucks and if you show it some corners you will soon realise that the M4 is on another level of handeling. If you are looking for a Jag then the Ftype-R is the only way to go.
this. there's nothing else to add to this thread.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 10:43 AM   #5
SDSmurf
Private
Rep
Drives: Subaru WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by instantexpert View Post
This sounds less like a decision about the car than about the personal circumstances involved. If the sentiment for the car outweighs the tech/handling benefits of the BMW, it could be worth doing.

If there's no sentiment involved, though, it's probably better to let it go to another home.
I agree with this.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 05:48 PM   #6
ghost34
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDSmurf
Quote:
Originally Posted by instantexpert View Post

I agree with this.
its Definetly not a straight up car comparison, I'm confident I choose my m4 in a head2head. is there enough there for me to pick a xkr at a big discount and keep it for a year or 2?

I'm really looking for feedback on the XK R from folks whose opinion I value vs discussing the situation. I provided some details to level set so you guys didnt think I was bonkers
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 07:28 PM   #7
erind
Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: Ftype R, M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost34 View Post
its Definetly not a straight up car comparison, I'm confident I choose my m4 in a head2head. is there enough there for me to pick a xkr at a big discount and keep it for a year or 2?

I'm really looking for feedback on the XK R from folks whose opinion I value vs discussing the situation. I provided some details to level set so you guys didnt think I was bonkers
Then I hope this video will open your eyes. I've driven that car many times. The M3/M4 whipes the floor with it.
https://youtu.be/tDGDCRgjxDE
Appreciate 1
ghost34105.50
      03-14-2017, 09:26 PM   #8
ghost34
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by erind
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost34 View Post

Then I hope this video will open your eyes. I've driven that car many times. The M3/M4 whipes the floor with it.
https://youtu.be/tDGDCRgjxDE
the f type really is my favorite car right now. I'd have one if it had a rear seat. freakin beautiful
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 09:33 PM   #9
TahoeM3
Major
Rep
Drives: F-type R, GTR, X5 50i

It really depends on what your needs are. The XKR is definitely more of a GT, but it is nice, looks good, and sounds great. The XKR-S is a more performance-oriented, but they are really GTs at heart. Traction is generally better than the M4 off the line, but it will still be a bit of a handful because it is RWD. The M4 is a little faster on a track than the XKR-S (if you will be tracking it), and more so then the XKR, which probably isn't really built for the track. On C&D's lightning lap, for example, the M4 was a little over a second faster on a 3 minute lap than the XKR-S. In a straight line roll, it would be very close. But the M4 definitely has newer tech.

The F-type is definitely a more comparable, but if the XKR is available at a good price and it's what you want, I'd say go for it. If you find it too soft, you can add the goodies from the XKR-S to sharpen it up a bit. It still won't be as precise as the M4, but that may not be something you are looking for. Just make sure you have a warranty and that the car doesn't have any issues.
Gone but not forgotten: '12 X5M, '07 AM SuperVantage, '05 Boxster S, '01 BMW M3,...
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 10:06 PM   #10
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Based only on stats and reviews, I agree you'll likely be disappointed. In terms of obtaining direct comparisons, I'm afraid that most F8X drivers have not considered or driven the XK-R and vice versa. That certainly is the case with me. I'm sure you can post on a Jaguar forum and have everyone tell you to jump on this.

If you want a Jag, F-Type coupe all the way, rear seats be damned! (Says the guy who has 2 sedans, a 2-seat coupe and an SUV...so take that with a grain of salt!)

GL
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 01:10 PM   #11
EB166
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 (Azzurite Black II)

Do not buy the xkr. I leased a 2014 and hated it. The car is very outdated as they haven't been updated in a long time. Not a true drivers car at all. I currently have a 2016 M3 and an Aston Martin DBS and both do not compare to the jag. Hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 02:06 PM   #12
EB166
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Do not buy the xkr. I leased a 2014 and hated it. The car is very outdated as they haven't been updated in a long time. Not a true drivers car at all. I currently have a 2016 M3 and an Aston Martin DBS and both do not compare to the jag. Hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 02:17 PM   #13
ghost34
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by EB166
thanks! its funny, on a couple jag forums, there were some M4 comparisons but not one on any BMW forum - no current M owners cross shopped while many jag owners did. Most gave the nod to the m4 citing many of the reasons listed here. got a personal email from an owner that has both and flat out said, if you love your m4, you won't like the jag. if you dislike the m4, you might like the jag. Jag has a great engine and exhaust but the tranny is a weak spot. the suspension is good buy not sporty enough and the ride quality is on par with the M in comfort. so theres no upside on the level of comfort which should be the big selling point. tech is dated and some interior bits are cheap while others are really nice. back seat is useless compared to the M.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 02:21 PM   #14
ghost34
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
thanks! its funny, on a couple jag forums, there were some M4 comparisons but not one on any BMW forum - no current M owners cross shopped while many jag owners did. Most gave the nod to the m4 citing many of the reasons listed here. got a personal email from an owner that has both and flat out said, if you love your m4, you won't like the jag. if you dislike the m4, you might like the jag. Jag has a great engine and exhaust but the tranny is a weak spot. the suspension is good buy not sporty enough and the ride quality is on par with the M in comfort. so theres no upside on the level of comfort which should be the big selling point. tech is dated and some interior bits are cheap while others are really nice. back seat is useless compared to the M.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 03:16 PM   #15
Super Spartan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 Nissan Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by erind View Post
+2 on this. Keep the M4
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 08:45 AM   #16
Inablur
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Silber Bimmer

F type R if Jag...otherwise Nawww!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 06:34 PM   #17
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

It's a technologically dated 4-5 year old car expected to rapidly depreciate when new and is no longer in production. If "20K below market" means a price somewhere between $20K - $30K and you already want to get out of the M4, then maybe it would be a car to consider for a year or two. Otherwise, nope.
      03-19-2017, 02:31 PM   #18
EB166
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2017, 11:22 PM   #19
ghost34
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
thanks! feel the urge to drive one but my gut is saying to pass on it
Appreciate 0