R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

03-27-2017, 12:33 PM   #1
shiv.nandak
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C7 Z06, 16' M4 6MT SO

Anyone switched from an M4 to a Viper?

I would love to hear the experience if someone has done this. Is it really that uncontrollable in bad weather? I assume if you utilize proper driving techniques and common sense, its wouldn't be that bad. Insurance would only be $90 extra for 6 months. I noticed that there are no winter/all-season tires avaiable in the ridiclous tire sizes of the viper. My M4 is currently a DD. I drive it in the winter (including snow).
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 12:44 PM   #2
instantexpert
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 40e

I just checked Tire Rack and am surprised that there are no winter tire/wheel packages available!

A Viper cannot be your daily driver in Pittsburg without snow (or, at least, all season) tires unless you're willing to take an Uber/Lyft or have a second car for the days it snows or is exceptionally cold.

You don't have to look far on this forum to find people who have crashed their cars on performance tires in the winter.
      03-27-2017, 01:38 PM   #3
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

You probably could OP, but it probably makes sense to get an old truck or something else as a winter beater

Even if you had winter tires, the ground clearance will likely be a struggle
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 07:50 PM   #4
Brindle101
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AY M4, AW M6, e92 m3, e46 m3..

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv.nandak View Post
I would love to hear the experience if someone has done this. Is it really that uncontrollable in bad weather? I assume if you utilize proper driving techniques and common sense, its wouldn't be that bad. Insurance would only be $90 extra for 6 months. I noticed that there are no winter/all-season tires avaiable in the ridiclous tire sizes of the viper. My M4 is currently a DD. I drive it in the winter (including snow).

I own an m4 and two gen V vipers. TA and acr, had an srt track pack. They are no where comparable to an m4, esp as a daily. When you are in the viper, you feel like you are in a nascar, it is that simple. The car is SO raw! Its great for weekend and track, i would never daily it. It is super low, super loud in the cabin, it shutters and shakes from the general rumble of engine and exhaust (which i love), it gets hot in the cabin and esp by the wheel wells (my biggest complaint), it is a race car with a stereo (but you can barely hear the stereo over the car). The m4 is so much more comfortable as a daily. No where near as fast, and the viper is in another league when it comes to handling. I have tracked the vipers many times, and you cant even believe how high their limits are, esp if you've only driven one on the street. I know there are some (very few) viper owners who do daily them. I wear a suit every day, and i could never, its just not practical. If you get one i hope you love it like i do, but keep in mind it is a whole different animal than an m4. Good luck!

Almost forgot. The cabin in the viper is very tight.
Appreciate 3
      03-29-2017, 08:46 AM   #5
shiv.nandak
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C7 Z06, 16' M4 6MT SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brindle101 View Post
I own an m4 and two gen V vipers. TA and acr, had an srt track pack. They are no where comparable to an m4, esp as a daily. When you are in the viper, you feel like you are in a nascar, it is that simple. The car is SO raw! Its great for weekend and track, i would never daily it. It is super low, super loud in the cabin, it shutters and shakes from the general rumble of engine and exhaust (which i love), it gets hot in the cabin and esp by the wheel wells (my biggest complaint), it is a race car with a stereo (but you can barely hear the stereo over the car). The m4 is so much more comfortable as a daily. No where near as fast, and the viper is in another league when it comes to handling. I have tracked the vipers many times, and you cant even believe how high their limits are, esp if you've only driven one on the street. I know there are some (very few) viper owners who do daily them. I wear a suit every day, and i could never, its just not practical. If you get one i hope you love it like i do, but keep in mind it is a whole different animal than an m4. Good luck!

Almost forgot. The cabin in the viper is very tight.
Thank you for your response. I've really wanted an uncompromising raw car. Everything you've stated perfectly describes what i want. Have you driven one in the rain? i assume it hydroplanes due to the massive tires. Also, how is it maintenence/reliablity wise?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2017, 12:50 PM   #6
04cobra
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 - 6MT

Funny you post this, because I am in the same boat, I am thinking of going the Viper route of the the M, but I have other cars I can daily.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2017, 01:46 PM   #7
hova00
Major
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04cobra View Post
Funny you post this, because I am in the same boat, I am thinking of going the Viper route of the the M, but I have other cars I can daily.
If you have a daily i recommend getting a Gen V Viper. I owned 2 a 2013 GTS black with red interior and 2nd one which was my favorite was my 2014 T/A Viper 11/33. I put American racing headers and tuned it. Really a beast of a car and if you want raw and uncut but pretty comfortable overall go for it
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2017, 04:59 PM   #8
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
I was at Bondurant Racing School two weeks ago for their 4-day Grand Prix classes. During the first 3 days, we drove their 2016 Viper GT 2.0 (they added a wing, harness, and a roll cage). I agree with the above comment. It's a very raw car. Don't expect any comfort whatsoever. However, on the track, it's such a fun car. I would pick Viper over my M4 ZCP all day everyday and I'm totally ok with dailying that car in California. Viper has almost no body roll, has amazing steering feel and 6MT. My M4 is a 6MT too but I much prefer the Viper's transmission and heavy clutch pedal. The car is so balanced and I think it puts the power down way better than the M4 (despite having 200hp more). Even with DSC on you can get sideways on the track and it was one of my favorite characteristics of the car (compared to our shitty MDM mode). However, it's not small by any means. The hood is huge and it tends to understeer (although not as much as my stock ZCP). Lastly, I want to mention how scary it is. Honestly, even with reduced stability control mode, the car never scared me. I had couple of oversteering on the track and they were all manageable. You can floor it in 1st gear and it can still go on a straight line without trying to kill you. My M4, on the other hand, sometimes scares the shit out of me when DSC is off. I think M4 is much less predictable. Viper is definitely a fun car! If I had a chance, I would make the switch.
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2017, 05:18 PM   #9
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
I forgot to mention... On the 3rd day of the school (which was a full track day morning to evening), the outside temp was around 98 degrees in Chandler, Arizona. I managed to overheat my Viper twice on the track (coolant temp reached 240 both times). I'm not sure how great the cooling system is on Viper.
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2017, 08:16 PM   #10
Brindle101
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AY M4, AW M6, e92 m3, e46 m3..

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv.nandak View Post
Thank you for your response. I've really wanted an uncompromising raw car. Everything you've stated perfectly describes what i want. Have you driven one in the rain? i assume it hydroplanes due to the massive tires. Also, how is it maintenence/reliablity wise?
I've had no issues in the rain, but i try to avoid it if i can, because then i have to wash it again..haha. Seriously, as long as it's not torrential rain, no problem as long as you are careful to modulate the throttle. You can't juice it. Easier to drive than my m6 in the rain or even m4, because it's NA the power comes on a little more controlled.

Zero mechanical issues, change oil as recommended. Car is bullet proof in my opinion, runs like a champ and loves to be pushed.

BTW, i drove vipers all day on track in las vegas, outside temp mid 90's, none of the cars that day had any over heating issues. We pounded the cars all day long. The instructors for the course (and they also run courses for bmw and AMG merc) said the vipers had the fewest issues. Really no mechanical issues, just tires and brakes as one would expect. Hope that helps.

Last edited by Brindle101; 03-29-2017 at 08:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 07:24 PM   #11
Ian1973
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 15 M3

if you actually went through with dailying the Viper, you don't need monster snow tires, just reduce the size. I run 245's on my M3, no reason to think you couldn't do 245-255's on the Viper. I mean I wouldn't do it, but it certainly can be done.

I can't even fit in a Viper, I'm 6'4" and a weightlifter build, I couldn't get my left leg on the clutch as the steering wheel to door clearance wasn't enough to let my leg pass to engage and disengage the clutch. So no Viper for me.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2017, 09:47 PM   #12
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brindle101 View Post
I've had no issues in the rain, but i try to avoid it if i can, because then i have to wash it again..haha. Seriously, as long as it's not torrential rain, no problem as long as you are careful to modulate the throttle. You can't juice it. Easier to drive than my m6 in the rain or even m4, because it's NA the power comes on a little more controlled.

Zero mechanical issues, change oil as recommended. Car is bullet proof in my opinion, runs like a champ and loves to be pushed.

BTW, i drove vipers all day on track in las vegas, outside temp mid 90's, none of the cars that day had any over heating issues. We pounded the cars all day long. The instructors for the course (and they also run courses for bmw and AMG merc) said the vipers had the fewest issues. Really no mechanical issues, just tires and brakes as one would expect. Hope that helps.
If only it came in female form
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 05:49 PM   #13
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

hmmmmm vipersssssss
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 05:53 PM   #14
M6-Coupe
Major General