Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

03-28-2017, 12:54 PM   #1
jrc92024
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235

M4 ZCP vs M235 vs E89 Z4

Thought I would share thoughts on these since I have owned all three and they make an interesting comparison.

First let me say I reject the idea that one car is "better" then another, for the right person and the right time in life a Ford Focus might be best.

So here's the deal, I currently own a 2017 F83 M4 w/ZCP picked up on Jan 20th (1300 miles ago), also own a 2016 M235, fully loaded. Prior to the M235 we owned the Z4 for the 3 year lease. So have a reasonable amount of behind the wheel time on all 3.

We initially planned on going from the Z4 to a M6, but after driving it both agreed that it felt like driving a talk (a very, very fast tank), but in the end I think everything worked out quite nicely!!

About me: I like to drive my cars hard, but I'm not a track junkie.

About the cars, oldest first:

Z4 - I referred to this as my "toy car", it was a base model with the turbo 2L.

Pros:
Fun to drive, it felt like I was wearing the car and driving a slot car. You could throw it around with near impunity.
Almost no turbo lag made it very forgiving, put it in Sport+ and let it rip.
Amazing fuel economy, on a road trip from San Diego to Lake Hazasu AZ we got 38 mpg and most of the drive was cruising at 85+.
Not a drag racer by any means but more than enough power to get out of it's own way.

Cons:
Interior was cramped and cheap, on a long drive (like the one mentioned above) it was tiring to be so cramped for 5+ hours.
Lack of power for things like going up the local mountains at speeds the car would have otherwise been capable of.
Tiny trunk, microscopic with the top down.

M235, the new "toy car"

Pros:
Also a blast to drive, but not a slot car. The M235 can be tossed around, but it took some getting used to after the more forgiving Z4.
Not much in the way of turbo lag makes it also a "Sport+ and go" type of car.
Roomier than the Z4 so it better on road trips, also a plusher suspension so my wife appreciates that (this is her primary car)
You can really feel the extra power compared to the Z4, goes like a scalded dog when you hammer it, given into temptation and showed a few STI and Mustang drivers what the taillights look like. More than enough to get the talk to hang out when desired.

Cons:
Cheap interior (even though full leather, there is too much cheap plastic trim), still a little cramped on long drives
mpg on road trips down to 22-24 depending on aggression level of the drive. With the small fuel tank this is annoying on long drives through the desert.
Rear seat unusable by adults for anything than a trip around town, plus a contortion act to get in/out.

M4: Saving "my" best for last

Pros:
A BEAST, a blast to drive but more of a "white knuckle / grimace" drive than the "big shit-eating grin" type of drive of the other two. The car flat out scares my wife and she refuses to drive it.
Took it up Mt. Palomar last Sunday and it was an amazing wheel hopping, sliding trip that required total concentration every second, if you do not know how to DRIVE, this car could get you into trouble, bigtime.
Love the fit and finish, mine is an individual build in Azurite Black / Chiba Brown, turns heads everywhere, people actually state at it in bright sunny days.
The interior is much more comfy than the M235, feels bigger although it is not by much.
The ride surprised me, I thought that the ZCP option might make it a teeth jarring ride, but not the case, on par with the M235, not a 7 series, not not unpleasant in the least.

Cons:
As mentioned above, if you cannot handle this car it could kill you.
Sucks down gas like a drunk sucks down beer, cannot get enough, in fact around town on par with my old F-150, this will require restraint and planning on the desert drives due to the distances between gas stations.
Rear seat, while better than the M235, is still kind of a joke, but at least with the top down it's less of a contortion act to get in / out.
The trunk mounted antenna makes satellite radio coverage spotty (bummer), in certain angles the passenger compartment blocks the signal.
Limited trunk space (yes, I know its a convertible)

Conclusion: I love all three, different cars, different personalities and different reasons to love
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
KevinM2935.50
ABPReader215.00
      03-28-2017, 06:47 PM   #2
Super Spartan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 Nissan Z

thanks for this great review

was the Z4 a 2.5L or 3.5L though you didn't say that
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 09:33 PM   #3
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Nice review. Enjoy your cars!
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 11:16 PM   #4
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

congrats on the car! I had a similar progression (E89 Z435 DCT, F30 335 (wife's) and F80 M3) and agree with majority of the review

You had a much better experience with the E89 than I did though. I don't want to get into it too much, but gosh that car was such a let down. limp modes at the track and mediocre performance (I had N54 + DCT). Should have gotten a cayman s or E86 Z4M!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 02:01 PM   #5
fusionchicken
Captain
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, Z4M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
congrats on the car! I had a similar progression (E89 Z435 DCT, F30 335 (wife's) and F80 M3) and agree with majority of the review

You had a much better experience with the E89 than I did though. I don't want to get into it too much, but gosh that car was such a let down. limp modes at the track and mediocre performance (I had N54 + DCT). Should have gotten a cayman s or E86 Z4M!
I loved the DCT and 6mt z4 35i's I drove but the Z4M is still one of the most visceral and raw experience I've ever got behind the wheel of a vehicle, super fun car.

@OP great review! I agree the F8x M cars definitely need some driver skills esp. with the lack of rear traction on OEM tires. The turbo 4 cylinder made the X1 I drove surprisingly quick so I have no doubt the z4 was a hoot
Appreciate 0