European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

02-15-2014, 01:06 PM   #1
Palisades
Private
Rep
Drives:

Any idea when we will see some driving impressions?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hi Guys,

I'm very curious to see some driving impressions of the new M3, to get a feel for how the electrical steering, lower weight, and new turbocharged motor behave. Any idea when BMW typically provides their cars to journalists for initial reviews? There were reviews on the new Porsche GT3 over 6 months before the 1st car was delivered to a customer. I also think I remember seeing reviews of the new M5 way in advance of deliveries.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 01:12 PM   #2
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

It's been said several locations that journo reviews not coming until May / June.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 01:17 PM   #3
RealStig
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

You are not going to be able to test drive or see any reviews before your order is actually accepted by the factory in Germany. Pretty shitty if you ask me, but that's the way it is. They will start production before people are allowed to test drive.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 01:27 PM   #4
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealStig View Post
You are not going to be able to test drive or see any reviews before your order is actually accepted by the factory in Germany. Pretty shitty if you ask me, but that's the way it is. They will start production before people are allowed to test drive.
You could always wait!!!!!!!!!!!!! You aren't forced to purchase the car prior to reading reviews or test driving.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 01:55 PM   #5
/// M sa
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
You could always wait!!!!!!!!!!!!! You aren't forced to purchase the car prior to reading reviews or test driving.
+ 1 no one is putting a gun to our heads to buy the car. Most will love the car, some will not and will move on to other cars.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 02:35 PM   #6
Palisades
Private
Rep
Drives:

It sounds a little sketchy that they aren't letting any impartial parties drive the car before deliveries begin. Especially when they have not done this with other M releases. It kind of reminds me of a movie studio not letting any reviewers screen Snakes on a Plane or something similar because they are worried about the bad reviews hurting opening weekend. I'm probably just being paranoid, but it does feel a little fishy. Either way, I'll keep enjoying my supercharged e90 M3, and will wait to hear driving impressions before deciding whether I have to have the new one.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 02:46 PM   #7
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palisades View Post
It sounds a little sketchy that they aren't letting any impartial parties drive the car before deliveries begin. Especially when they have not done this with other M releases. It kind of reminds me of a movie studio not letting any reviewers screen Snakes on a Plane or something similar because they are worried about the bad reviews hurting opening weekend. I'm probably just being paranoid, but it does feel a little fishy. Either way, I'll keep enjoying my supercharged e90 M3, and will wait to hear driving impressions before deciding whether I have to have the new one.
Like others have mentioned multiple times, the previous ///M3's were released in Europe before they were released in North America, hence the availability of 3rd party reviews. This time around, the releases are simultaneous.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 02:57 PM   #8
bmwluvr24
Driving Mika all over California.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E60 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palisades View Post
You can never go wrong with a SC E90 M3 anyways! I am not happy with the fact that the reviews are not being released earlier, but I also am not second guessing my purchase based on the decision to do a worldwide roll out. That is just BMW building the tension. This car, in my opinion, is going to back up the figures and then some. My 328i breaks necks daily and as far as driving characteristics go, it is VERY good. If that is any precursor, then I am greatly anticipating the M3!

Last edited by bmwluvr24; 02-16-2014 at 11:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 04:17 PM   #9
M4TW
///M Uber Alles
Canada
Rep
Drives: '15 MW M4

I read copious car reviews before my previous BMW purchases, because I like doing my homework. In both cases, the only unknowns was that I was going with an untested AWD with my 330xi and then my 335xi. The last M 3 was such a champ and I love the combo of M handling and turbo power in this iteration. It looks so good on paper and in the pictures I've seen, so I'm taking a gamble here going all in pre-flop. BMW's history with me and with the M3 as me feeling like I'm betting with bullets.

I just hope my aces don't get busted.
      02-15-2014, 04:29 PM   #10
khanyam4
Ring Leader of G8X Trolls
Cambodia
Rep
Drives: NA

My 328i breaks necks daily. Lol
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 05:10 PM   #11
RealStig
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Yeah you see, I am sort of forced. My lease ends in May. I can only extend it for 1 month without a production number and 5 more months with a production number. If you do the math, with the limited allocations, there is no way I am going to be able to get a car on time unless I order it right away.

Yes I could always buy my car, wait a year, and trade it in, sure, but I'm not going to do that as the warranty is going to be up in a year. It's fine, I accepted it and I am perfectly okay with it. I was just saying that it's not an ideal situation. I wish they let the reviewers drive the car in February or so and allow us to test drive as well in March-April and then start production, but we don't live in a perfect world
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 10:26 AM   #12
bmwluvr24
Driving Mika all over California.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E60 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanyam3
My 328i breaks necks daily. Lol
I have tastefully modded my car enough that people do not know what it is. I do and I am very proud of what we have created. If you want to comment on something, how about you focus on your lack of personality in this forum. Sucking the nuts of the older guys won't get you anywhere. Plus, you have NO IDEA who any of us are. I know that I was a dick to you previously, but you are only reinforcing why I was a dick. Oh and another thing, this car was a present to myself for making it through 14 years of the military alive. So please, get a life.
      02-16-2014, 10:36 AM   #13
BMWJ
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Yeah you see, I am sort of forced. My lease ends in May. I can only extend it for 1 month without a production number and 5 more months with a production number. If you do the math, with the limited allocations, there is no way I am going to be able to get a car on time unless I order it right away.
you could order the car and then not take it
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 11:45 AM   #14
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Supra 3.0 (Past: 2015 M23

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
They did the same thing with the M235. BMWs timeline is all over the place
      02-16-2014, 01:26 PM   #15
Race_Doc11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 G82 M4

Garage List
2023 BMW G82 M4  [0.00]
2018 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 Audi RS5 (Sold)  [10.00]
2008 E93 M3 (Sold)  [10.00]
I'm sure you are not going to be disappointed. The only concern with the first year production is the bugs but that what's warranty for.
Quote:

Yes I could always buy my car, wait a year, and trade it in, sure, but I'm not going to do that as the warranty is going to be up in a year. It's fine, I accepted it and I am perfectly okay with it. I was just saying that it's not an ideal situation. I wish they let the reviewers drive the car in February or so and allow us to test drive as well in March-April and then start production, but we don't live in a perfect world
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 12:41 PM   #16
secretariat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Angry

M4TW, I never go all in with aces pre flop. As a matter of fact I hate getting Aces. There is usually only two ways to go with aces: all in or wait for someone to pick up two pair and knock you out.
Appreciate 0